Visa Ban

February 4th, 2017 at 10:20:13 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
The key is that it is temporary and part of our system of checks and balances. SCOTUS cannot hear every last new case. Trump can and will appeal. It is just the first step.

I understand the first step portion but I was surprised that the order could be instantly stopped. I would think that you could probably find one judge to agree to almost anything.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 4th, 2017 at 10:25:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: buzzardknot
WRONG Once again Colleges set aside many more slots of white women and men, than for blacks. It is called legacy admissions.
'"No group experiences more affirmative action than white people,"

False comparison. Legacy admissions are not based on race.
The President is a fink.
February 4th, 2017 at 11:17:47 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: kenarman
I understand the first step portion but I was surprised that the order could be instantly stopped. I would think that you could probably find one judge to agree to almost anything.

That is often the case--that is why lawyers sometimes "venue shop" for the court they find most favorable to their chances of success. If they can find someone who has "standing" to sue and can sue in a favorable court, they have things going their way for at least a temporary injunction.

Those type of decisions often get overturned, but they do give at least a temporary reprieve from implementation of something like this order.

I think they will either lose in a full court or on appeal; the order could also be rewritten...but Trump is stubborn, so I am not sure that is likely.
February 4th, 2017 at 12:04:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: pew
On a related subject the political spectrum has become skewed. I wish someone would inform the little darlings in colleges across the nation that anarchist's are on the far right not the far left. the extreme left is totalitarianism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist_communism
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 4th, 2017 at 1:57:13 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
False comparison. Legacy admissions are not based on race.

HAHA Legacies are 80-90% white, being a legacy will increase your chances of admission by 45%. O the scale of 1600 SAT being a legacy is
worth about 160 points. Legacy admission among all applications to Harvard is 30.2 %, Others are 6.2%.
Spell it anyway you want, it is AA for whites.
Suddenly basing admission on merit only takes a back seat to a preferred ruling class. Perhaps a member here concerned that Asian admissions are limited to blacks with lower scores could focus on the larger problem.
February 4th, 2017 at 2:49:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman

Spell it anyway you want, it is AA for whites.

No, they are not. For the simple reason that not all white people may qualify.

Keep trying to think it, you will impress the average liberal. Not me, however. I've heard the "AA for whites" thing for years. It is simply not the case.
The President is a fink.
February 4th, 2017 at 7:53:32 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Guess I am wrong So when a white male who's Daddy or Grandaddy went to UA, gets in ahead of a more qualified application, it is not AA. I guess because the more qualified applicant had same opportunity to have a grandfather going to that same College in the 40's 50's and 60's I guess that was Uncle Remus standing there in the doorway in 1963 ???

Maybe that black Grandaddy should have enrolled in Mississippi. A certain trouble making WW2 veteran got assassinated in 1963 for helping blacks enroll in Mississippi Colleges. The nerve of that VETERAN. No wonder 2 all white juries found the assassin innocent.
February 4th, 2017 at 8:18:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Guess I am wrong So when a white male who's Daddy or Grandaddy went to UA, gets in ahead of a more qualified application, it is not AA.

Yes, you are wrong. You have been trying to make a false equation. AA is based on race and to a lesser extent sex. Legacy admission is based on family ties. If you want to make an argument against such admissions then do so. But to call them "AA for whites" is totally incorrect.
The President is a fink.
February 4th, 2017 at 8:44:25 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Yes, you are wrong. You have been trying to make a false equation. AA is based on race and to a lesser extent sex. Legacy admission is based on family ties. If you want to make an argument against such admissions then do so. But to call them "AA for whites" is totally incorrect.

Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, well Not a college graduate but maybe one can help AZ understand
February 5th, 2017 at 12:26:53 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, well Not a college graduate but maybe one can help AZ understand

You can be right in "legacy admissions" being wrong and wrong about characterizing them as "AA for whites"...they are two different things. It is easy to argue that "legacy admissions" hurt the entire pool of applicants for a university because they reserve a spot for someone who will not make the student body based on their qualifications alone. It is way too much of a stretch to make that "racist" since it impacts every applicant not granted "legacy" entry.

"Racism" is wrong but there are all kinds of wrongs that aren't "racist"...again, cheapening the word does nothing to help fight actual "racism."