5 votes (62.5%)
2 votes (25%)
1 vote (12.5%)

8 members have voted

January 4th, 2018 at 5:46:10 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: reno

Sessions may not realize it, but it's possible he just gave potheads everywhere a huge Christmas gift. Happy new year...

You may be right
Times have changed
The majority is now fine with gay marriage
The majority is now fine with pot
Pot is legal in these states because the people have spoken
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 5th, 2018 at 10:29:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
I'm trying to envision a scenario where Sessions succeeds, a scenario where his goal is achieved. Realistically, I don't see any plausible endgame where Sessions comes out ahead. On the contrary, I see multiple scenarios where the backlash actually does more harm to Sessions, Trump, & the GOP, while simultaneously increasing the trend for lax marijuana laws.

Republicans are the most hypocritical bunch there can be. They care deeply about "sates rights" only insofar as it regards prohibitions on abortion, and nothing else. And they complain when just about everything escalates to the Federal level? Seriously, they need to realize words have meanings beyond their effect on their base.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 8th, 2018 at 8:15:28 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
Another question is will pot be the "gateway tax" for governments?

Maybe so!

Here are some concrete tax numbers out of Colorado from tax year 2016...

Colorado tax revenue from alcohol: $44 million
Colorado tax revenue from tobacco: $162 million
Colorado tax revenue from marijuana: $194 million

One of the big worries about taxing pot is that the underground dealers on the black market will be able to undercut legal pot on price since drug dealers don't collect sales tax. While I can't prove that no black market exists in Colorado (surely it does) apparently the legal market is still big enough to bring in quadruple the revenue of alcohol. No wonder Jeff Sessions is so worried!

I'm not sure the New York black market in cigarettes is the correct analogy for excessive taxation of marijuana. I just visited a legal recreational pot retailer in California and I was dumbfounded by the sheer variety of strains, breeds, oils, edibles, etc. There must've been 50 or 60 products to choose from. No illegal drug dealer can match the variety of a decently stocked retailer. Stoners love variety...
Page 13 of 13« First<10111213