2018 Dead Pool

July 9th, 2018 at 2:22:07 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
So who you actually want to target are those with healthy life style. They are costing the state millions.

"Because they tend to live longer, the savings that they make the state in youth and middle age are wiped out by the high cost of dealing with lingering diseases of old age like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

By contrast smokers – who pour millions extra into government coffers by purchasing cigarettes – cost the state the least because they tend to die younger.

According to the research, a person of normal weight costs on average £210,000 over their lifetime, a smoker just £165,000 and an obese person £187,000."

Study
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 9th, 2018 at 3:07:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
I don't think that providing a group with $15k a year of free drugs for recreational reasons is valid use of government money. We might as well provide free drugs for the junkies as well.

AIDS has always gotten far more funding than it really deserved, considering how few people it killed and how preventable it always was.
The President is a fink.
July 9th, 2018 at 4:00:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
AIDS has always gotten far more funding than it really deserved, .
That is what happens when you allow gay administrators to change the name from GRID to AIDS. Gay Related Immune Dysfunction would never have received funding.
But change GRID to AIDS and change AIDS Victim to 'people living with AIDS' and you get massive funding.
July 9th, 2018 at 4:24:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
So who you actually want to target are those with healthy life style. They are costing the state millions.

Did you notice I didn't want to necessarily start means testing, but if you insist we target one group only it will become a rights case in court. That's where you're going wrong. You insist on focusing on one group.

Quote:
By contrast smokers – who pour millions extra into government coffers by purchasing cigarettes – cost the state the least because they tend to die younger.

I guess that's the benefit of liberal sponsored high taxes on bad behavior. Soda tax anyone??

Quote:
According to the research, a person of normal weight costs on average £210,000 over their lifetime, a smoker just £165,000 and an obese person £187,000."

Yeah, but I wouldn't encourage policies where we kill people off for cost savings in general.

Where you can make an argument is when they add up everything they pay for and then prioritize. Then you might get a case to kill funds.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2018 at 4:36:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
That is what happens when you allow gay administrators to change the name from GRID to AIDS. Gay Related Immune Dysfunction would never have received funding.
But change GRID to AIDS and change AIDS Victim to 'people living with AIDS' and you get massive funding.

I was in high school during the peak years of the "scare" phase of AIDS. We had a big seniors assembly, never saw a setup like it as they had three TVs all off one VCR and it was all the guidance counselors there as they were learning too I guess. They were pushing the idea that it would be a heterosexual disease, too. Pushing that cases would double every year for many years.

It never happened. The 80s drove me crazy how much we heard about AIDS. Avoiding gay sex and sharing drug needles nearly eliminated your chances of getting it. Yet we heard that over, over, over, over, over, over, and over again.
The President is a fink.
July 9th, 2018 at 4:52:50 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan%27s_Run_(film)

A perfect world of total pleasure, with one catch - everyone who reaches 30 years of age is killed.

That'll contain the costs.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 9th, 2018 at 5:04:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
with one catch - everyone who reaches 30 years of age is killed..

Just when most Millennials are
almost ready to leave home..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 9th, 2018 at 5:07:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
It never happened. The 80s drove me crazy how much we heard about AIDS. .

I tried to ignore it. I never saw
any of the AIDS movies, like
the one Tom Hanks made. Still
haven't seen it. I knew so many
Gay sluts in Calif that I was not
all that sorry for them. You play,
you pay. Nothing in life is free.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 9th, 2018 at 5:18:27 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
I tried to ignore it. I never saw
any of the AIDS movies, like
the one Tom Hanks made. Still
haven't seen it. I knew so many
Gay sluts in Calif that I was not
all that sorry for them. You play,
you pay. Nothing in life is free.

I saw part of "And The Band Payed On" mainly because it was all that was on at that moment. It is based on true events, and what hits you is all these guys are dying, but even then they knew that it was the bath house culture and random partners that were the high risks. But giving all that up was the last thing these guys wanted to do. Random gay sex was their lives, risks be damned.
The President is a fink.
July 9th, 2018 at 5:29:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
But giving all that up was the last thing these guys wanted to do. Random gay sex was their lives, risks be damned.

If you weren't there, it's hard to
convey the decadence of the Gay
community in the 70's and early
80's. The 50's and 60's and early
70's were pretty repressive, but
when Gays started to be accepted
in mid 70's, they went batshit
crazy with it. They were always
that way behind closed doors,
but now, in Calif anyway, you
could be openly Gay and you weren't
shunned.

History has shown you can't have that
much promiscuous sexual contact
without there being an eventual
downside.