survival, foraging, etc

August 13th, 2020 at 4:17:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: odiousgambit
Insufficient food is the one almost impossible situation to avoid for a long term stay in the wilderness, though times of plenty exist in meat supply if you have a gun no doubt ... year-round is tough, especially solo. There have been instances of sufficient meat but a lack of fat, the meat being too lean with venison, for example. 
Didn't know they had a name for it

Quote: link
Mal de caribou (literally, “caribou sickness”) typically afflicts explorers and other cold-weather adventurers who attempt to live on hunted animals but only eat the muscle tissue. Rabbits (and most wild animals, actually) have very little body fat... If all you can score out in the wild are rabbits, plus the occasional deer, you run the danger of severe vitamin deficiencies, plus liver dysfunction caused by an overload of protein.

https://www.contrapositivediary.com/?p=1627
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 13th, 2020 at 6:59:57 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Long term survival in the wilderness? I'd want a place with a lot of fish and good fishing equipment.
YES. Outfitters know that soups and stews are needed and therefore plan to have copious quantities of water available. Fish, fish stews, fish sauce,. Hard to haul "just meat" and even the American Indians used pemmicam. Hunter-gatherers did not have the luxury of doing only field dressing of kills. You feasted at the kill site and the gathering never stopped.. Good fishing equipment? Ever see those dig a fish channel and then block it shows?
Even one guy on a Pacific atoll who does subsistence fishing knows to not block the atoll's inlet two days a week.The tides supply him with trapped fish but he knows not to exhaust the resource,
August 13th, 2020 at 11:20:47 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Long term survival in the wilderness? t.

So, if squirrels really bury nuts for future eating, is there some reason it doesn’t work for humans?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 14th, 2020 at 3:17:30 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
One of my dogs poops facing northwest 99% of the time. I have been watching for the last two months. My other dog must be a sneaky pooper. I almost never observe him pooping.

Dogs are extremely sensitive to minor variations in the Earth’s magnetic field. This is also one of the reasons why they have such a tremendous sense of direction.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
August 14th, 2020 at 3:21:15 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
His video also disappointed me by not showing if he got anything with his traps. Insufficient food is the one almost impossible situation to avoid for a long term stay in the wilderness, though times of plenty exist in meat supply if you have a gun no doubt ... year-round is tough, especially solo. There have been instances of sufficient meat but a lack of fat, the meat being too lean with venison, for example. 

At least he went about trapping in a professional way, using leg-hold traps instead of snares. I've seen many a laughable episode in various survival programs where they don't know how to use snares, I saw one where the guy was trying to get a squirrel by setting a snare on a miscellaneous spot on a tree limb. 

The correct procedure with a snare is to set it up in an improved-by-you funnel situation on, say, a rabbit's well-traveled trail and attempt to startle the rabbit so that it sprints down the trail in a panic, then you have a chance. As with all hunting it goes a lot better in times of over-population. 

I saw a Bear Grylls episode where he at least put one out on a distinct trail. They supposedly caught a skunk this way, though of course who knows how they really got it. There was no talk of making sure an animal sped down the trail instead of just ambling down it normally, allowing no chance of success. Anyway he supposedly actually ate it, complaining about the smell that got all over him.

The first paragraph describes basically what happened to...I think it was Chris McCandless (sp?) up in Alaska. They call it, “Rabbit starvation,” where you technically have a sufficient amount of food, but it’s lacking in necessary fats. I guess he didn’t have much trouble catching small game, but it was way too lean.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
August 14th, 2020 at 5:19:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I thought Chris McCandless had some poisonous beans/seeds. A toxin, not a non-nutritious component.
Either way, a crossing wire was half a mile to the north and he did not know about it. Strange and unfortunate.
August 14th, 2020 at 6:09:59 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Fleastiff
I thought Chris McCandless had some poisonous beans/seeds.

I think the final conclusion was that both were contributing factors, now that you mention it. Had he not been starving, the seeds wouldn’t have been as much of a problem.
August 14th, 2020 at 11:59:19 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I interviewed for a voice part in the movie in Page Az. where McCandless hung out for a bit and did laundry uptown,
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 14th, 2020 at 12:22:04 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: petroglyph
I interviewed for a voice part in the movie in Page Az. where McCandless hung out for a bit and did laundry uptown,
Sorry you didn't get the part. I've not been to Paige, AZ but understand it was a heroic journey she made.
August 21st, 2020 at 5:19:42 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
been getting a lot of rain and it's late enough in the year for the mushrooms to go crazy now

hit the jackpot with chanterelle 'shrooms, which people will spend real money for. Naturally I can't find anyone who wants any at all, but I think the problem is trust, and that sort of bugs me

got a bucket full and took a picture. One of the nice things about digital photography seems to be that you can take pictures regardless of the light. This one is with my cellphone, not much past dawn in overcast conditions. Amusingly it makes it look more like a painting than a photo, but at least I didn't need a flashbulb

what you are looking at is a bucket of chanterelles next to an enormous mushroom which seems to be of the amanita family* on top of which I have laid an upside down large bolette type. Those two I ain't eating, though the bolette wouldn't hurt you most likely. Also in the picture, hard to see perched on the side of the bucket, is a crunched up beer can I found to give scale

* could be a 'destroying angel' and if so enough there to kill dozens and dozens of people, but missing is a 'partial veil' making it likely to be an also deadly if less potent relative
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]