survival, foraging, etc

May 22nd, 2020 at 7:50:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: petroglyph
Les Stroud had the best survival show on television. Survivorman.
I agree. Supposedly he normally never had a camera crew or help of any kind with him, filming it himself, though I doubt he was left totally out of contact. I'm sure there were elements of scripted this and that, but compared to all others it was better stuff. Won't say more till I see this video
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 22nd, 2020 at 8:30:24 AM permalink
odiousgambit
OK, that was mostly a review of survival scenes in movies. Worth watching.

He mentions [before he gets into the reviewing] how his crew etc. was really there to help him if needed, and different instances, but not the time when he was supposed to survive in The Outback by eating grubs you can dig out of trees there ~ in only a certain area of Australia I'm sure. For that show there were almost no grubs that year, oops. So at the end he 'accidentally finds' a lamb that was just killed. Not the best episode.

I was surprised he liked "Life of Pi" scenes. In particular scenes where somebody escapes from a ship after they are trapped below and it's completely flooded and they have to swim underwater to get to doors and get them open. People who survive that must be few in number indeed, in fact if it is actually zero who have? Wouldn't bet against it. But in the movie it's not dark, there's lots of light, and the water is crystal clear too. Funny how that evidently didn't bother him a bit. Or maybe he didn't know they were going to show those scenes.
May 22nd, 2020 at 8:35:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
People die just because they can't get out of a sinking car, never mind a ship

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-escape-a-sinking-car/
May 22nd, 2020 at 9:44:29 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit

And the bike guy has left them a topographical map. Nice. They bring out that they don't know where they are, though, so the map is not useful yet. And they say they know the north-south dimension from the makeshift compass, but don't know which way is north or south due to overcast skies and fog. As they are announcing that, you can see shadows being cast. Ummm, I think you should have just said you're going to show how to proceed denying yourself full use of the compass. Don't insult my intelligence.

I only learned this yesterday: dogs generally face north or south when they poop. Something to do with magnetic poles. Not a 100%, as the poles can be erratic at times. All the spinning around in circles is them calibrating the magnetic waves.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 22nd, 2020 at 11:07:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
I only learned this yesterday: dogs generally face north or south when they poop. Something to do with magnetic poles. Not a 100%, as the poles can be erratic at times. All the spinning around in circles is them calibrating the magnetic waves.
was not buying this ~ if it wasn't for the internet, I would have been wondering just which barstool expert you had been talking to

https://www.sciencealert.com/dogs-prefer-to-poo-along-a-north-south-axis
May 22nd, 2020 at 11:12:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
All the spinning around in circles is them calibrating the magnetic waves.

I was told it's them checking
for predators because they're
vulnerable when crapping.
Makes more sense than
magnetic poles.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 22nd, 2020 at 11:18:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
was not buying this ~ if it wasn't for the internet, I would have been wondering just which barstool expert you had been talking to

https://www.sciencealert.com/dogs-prefer-to-poo-along-a-north-south-axis

Would I lead you wrong. (I might, but not today)

I've often heard it speculated humans have lost touch with some innate senses, that many animals have. Or, perhaps we have lost the sensing ability altogether.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 22nd, 2020 at 12:04:41 PM permalink
odiousgambit
actually I have a fairly strong sense of direction that kicks in. It just happens to be wrong all the time. That sounds like a joke, but that's a fact and it is a pain, I have to totally ignore it when out in the woods.
May 22nd, 2020 at 12:44:29 PM permalink
rxwine
An older study showed that modern birds have made use of technology. They have noticed human roads are obviously good for navigation purposes and use them to migrate.
May 22nd, 2020 at 1:28:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Are you saying true north? Because magnetic north has been moving at a rapid rate and is now somewhere near Siberia. So depending on the dogs Latitude, they may face west or east when relieving themselves if aligning with magnetic north.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW