Democratic Nominee in 2020

Page 3 of 96<123456>Last »
Poll
No votes (0%)
3 votes (16.66%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (5.55%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (5.55%)
1 vote (5.55%)
8 votes (44.44%)
2 votes (11.11%)
2 votes (11.11%)

18 members have voted

September 19th, 2018 at 5:31:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 911
Posts: 10783
Quote: Wizard
I live very close to both the first and fourth districts. I think the fourth is also a battleground district.


I think you live fairly close to the first district also which starts at Durango and Vegas.



Yes, Nevada was very careful to draw the 3rd and 4th district to be battleground districts, since the 1st and 2nd are not battlegrounds. I think they were trying to maximize campaign dollars.

Of the six states with 4 congressional districts, Nevada is by far the biggest battleground state. Wisely they probably have the most money spent in that state compared to others states of the same size.

4 Districts Hillary Trump
Arkansas 33.65% 60.57%
Kansas 36.05% 56.65%
Utah 27.46% 45.54%
Mississippi 40.11% 57.94%
Iowa 41.74% 51.15%
Nevada 47.92% 45.50%
September 19th, 2018 at 6:58:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 210
Posts: 5292
Quote: reno
What happens to your $1,000 bet if Trump doesn't finish his first term?


I lose.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 20th, 2018 at 2:25:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 118
Posts: 9691
Quote: Wizard
I lose.


I wouldn't worry, it is next to impossible to remove a POTUS. As all impeachment charges are a version of liberals do not like him, removal is very unlikely.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
September 20th, 2018 at 6:46:56 AM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 23
Posts: 1144
Quote: Wizard
I lose.


I believe an impeached president can still run again.
September 20th, 2018 at 11:27:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 911
Posts: 10783
There are only two impeached presidents in United States history, meaning only two presidents have been charged by the House of Representatives with committing "high crimes and misdemeanors." Neither of the two impeached presidents, Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton, were convicted by the Senate. In fact, there has never been a president removed from office using the impeachment process.

Quote: AZDuffman
As all impeachment charges are a version of liberals do not like him, removal is very unlikely.


I think that is true of impeachment in general.


There is only one other mechanism set forth in the U.S. Constitution, aside from conviction on impeachment charges, that allows for the removal of a failing president. It is the 25th Amendment, which contains provisions for the forceful removal of a president who has become physically unable to serve.

It is a little surprising that this amendment has never been used.

James A. Garfield took 78 days to die from being shot.
Woodrow Wilson was probably incapacitated for the latter portion of his presidency.
Warren Harding never really recovered from an episode of influenza in January 1923, and he wrote a new will. He finally died on August 2, 1923.
September 20th, 2018 at 12:16:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 118
Posts: 9691
Quote: Pacomartin


It is a little surprising that this amendment has never been used.

James A. Garfield took 78 days to die from being shot.
Woodrow Wilson was probably incapacitated for the latter portion of his presidency.
Warren Harding never really recovered from an episode of influenza in January 1923, and he wrote a new will. He finally died on August 2, 1923.


These POTUS are reasons it was passed in the first place. It has been used a few times, mostly when POTUS is going into planned surgery. Like often happens in these cases, it was needed very shortly after it was adopted and Nixon/Agnew left at almost the same time. POTUS succession was half-briefly used when Reagan was shot and Al Haig held down the fort until Bush flew back, though all he was really doing was keeping order, he could not do anything official.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
September 20th, 2018 at 12:35:13 PM permalink
Dalex64
Member since: Mar 8, 2014
Threads: 3
Posts: 2851
Quote: Pacomartin

There is only one other mechanism set forth in the U.S. Constitution, aside from conviction on impeachment charges, that allows for the removal of a failing president. It is the 25th Amendment, which contains provisions for the forceful removal of a president who has become physically unable to serve.

It is a little surprising that this amendment has never been used.

James A. Garfield took 78 days to die from being shot.
Woodrow Wilson was probably incapacitated for the latter portion of his presidency.
Warren Harding never really recovered from an episode of influenza in January 1923, and he wrote a new will. He finally died on August 2, 1923.


Well, the amendment wasn't ratified until 1967, so that's why it wasn't used in the cases you pointed out.

Section 4, the part that covers the removal of the president by "the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide" has never been invoked.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 15th, 2018 at 6:49:17 PM permalink
ams288
Member since: Apr 21, 2016
Threads: 16
Posts: 3864
Now that the election is over and Beto lost in TX, I feel like he’s going to run.

He seems to excite the right people, and I could see him kicking Donald’s ass in states like MI, PA, and WI.
In order to insult me, I must first value your opinion
November 15th, 2018 at 7:56:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 135
Posts: 7190
Quote: ams288
Now that the election is over and Beto lost in TX, I feel like he’s going to run.

He seems to excite the right people, and I could see him kicking Donald’s ass in states like MI, PA, and WI.



I'd guess as much also.
Nobody learned anything from the global financial crisis.
November 15th, 2018 at 8:31:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 210
Posts: 5292
Quote: ams288
Now that the election is over and Beto lost in TX, I feel like he’s going to run.


I never heard of him until it looked like he had a chance to win Texas. What has he won before?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 3 of 96<123456>Last »