I need you to come into work this weekend

March 14th, 2019 at 11:31:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
Yeah that's not how it works here - I have 5 actual days available to me - although not sure taking 5 days off and then giving two week's notice would be the proper thing to do

Why would you give notice, do they
give notice when they fire somebody?
Screw them, take the 5 days and never
go back.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 14th, 2019 at 11:37:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Also, if you give 2 weeks notice
you know they will find a way
to screw you out of the money
they owe you. These are lawyers,
they can tie it up for a year.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 14th, 2019 at 11:40:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Talking employERS. Do they give notice, let you get affairs in order, all the things they expect of you to ease THEIR transition?

Some shops are good. Maybe yours is one. I too gave a notice when the shop wasn't garbage. Most of my others were. Ace's certainly seems so. Give what you get.

Having been an employer, I can say it is with good reason notice is not given. My first layoff the girl wouldn't even let me finish, threw down her stuff and started packing. Granted she was very immature, later let herself get pregnant by a guy she just knew a few weeks. But her reaction was common.

I have lost count of the mass layoffs I have been a part of the last 10 years. Each time they called us in and told us that was that. Each case it was like in "Rounders" where I knew before the cards were even turned over. Each case they told us just to pack up and leave, sometimes not to even bother logging off your computer. Once I offered to call a client or two to finish up some business. Nope, thanks, though. They paid us until the end of the day each time.

An employment recruiter I worked with went out of business in the 2008-10 recession. Big place, closed up. Somehow the people learned they had 2 weeks left. They snatched all the client info they could, some starting their own shops, which is how I heard about it.

The exception is a limited project ending. In those cases we were usually told a day for an end, and saw it winding down. Once I was the literal last man out the door. But that is a different world, one full of transient misfits who act mature and know how the project hire system works.

So, other than projects like I was on, a known seasonal job (e.g.: playing Santa), or a mass closure that takes time (e.g.: Lordstown) don't expect any more formal notice than they pay you for a full day.

If it is "for cause" of course you cannot at all have the person hanging around. Never know what will happen.
The President is a fink.
March 14th, 2019 at 1:44:04 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
This is pure insanity - I just got called into a another surprise meeting - apparently, the new "final word" (until it changes again) - is that the Boss and I are working together and I no longer will work with the protege except to finish the two cases I have been working on with him -- of course, the protege chimed in to remind everyone that, although this will be the final structure of how work is divided-"emergencies are emergencies" and that means "all hands on deck" (I was very much tempted to ask if that included self-made emergencies but I bit my tongue) -- although the other senior attorney did laughingly ask why he was being punished having to work with the protege (he later came to my office to tell me that, although he said it with a laugh, he meant it)
Let's see how long this new "final word" lasts -- I will be happy if it remains this way for the rest of my tenure
March 14th, 2019 at 1:58:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
One of my favorite things is leaving town, seeing the smoke from burning bridges in the rear view mirror.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 14th, 2019 at 2:20:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
-- I will be happy if it remains this way for the rest of my tenure

What are you now Ace, 46-47? You need
to find a stable place to work or you'll
be 50 and the job finding is a lot harder.
March 14th, 2019 at 4:22:37 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
What are you now Ace, 46-47? You need
to find a stable place to work or you'll
be 50 and the job finding is a lot harder.

Don't want to leave after being there less than 1 year
March 14th, 2019 at 4:45:12 PM permalink
Evenbob

What will happen when the old
man dies or retires, you'll be
working directly for your buddy.
Is that what you want, because
you know it's coming.
March 14th, 2019 at 7:47:37 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2

What does that matter? Just remove this short period from your resume. No one will know anyway.
March 14th, 2019 at 8:56:47 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

How many different firms have you worked at?
I was real surprised to hear less then a year.
Now it makes sense you being dumped on though it still sucks
Thought about private practice?
I would think a good divorce lawyer would do well
Put some money aside. When I read about your Vegas high roller lifestyle, I have to admit I am jealous.
Then I hear you are a pay check to pay check. WTF. I make a lot less then you and I put myself in a position where I can miss pay checks and survive.
Get it together
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"