The Gay Thread

September 10th, 2019 at 8:30:08 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Male dominated has nothing to do with social conservative.
Forced families has nothing to do with social conservative.
Social conservatives are fine with a few drinks. Fine with a little gambling as well.

Actually the middle east societies remind me more of liberal values. Except instead of the religion of government and global warming they follow islam.

I still do not see why you are upset that two people who love each other cannot be married just because of age.

Is that sarcasm I hope?

Islamic countries are textbook social conservatism, forced families, no vices, forced religion, strict dress code.

Strict social conservatives do not like alcohol or gambling. Anything that can be a vice.
September 10th, 2019 at 9:08:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

Is that sarcasm I hope?

Not really. If we are going to redefine marriage so two people of the same sex can marry, why should we restrict it based on age? Isn't that the two people love each other all that matters? I would really like to hear a good, logical reason. Just be prepared to defend your logic. I look forward to the debate. Bring it on.

Quote:
Islamic countries are textbook social conservatism, forced families, no vices, forced religion, strict dress code.

No, they are textbook religious theocracy. Islamic law is not "social conservatism."

Quote:
Strict social conservatives do not like alcohol or gambling. Anything that can be a vice.

Some do, some do not. What they do not like is these things getting out of control.
The President is a fink.
September 10th, 2019 at 9:52:56 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
Male dominated has nothing to do with social conservative.
Forced families has nothing to do with social conservative.
Social conservatives are fine with a few drinks. Fine with a little gambling as well.

Actually the middle east societies remind me more of liberal values. Except instead of the religion of government and global warming they follow islam.

I still do not see why you are upset that two people who love each other cannot be married just because of age.

Is that sarcasm I hope?

Totally agree
Its common knowledge. The most conservative countries on the planet are in the Middle East
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 10th, 2019 at 9:59:03 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZD
I would really like to hear a good, logical reason. Just be prepared to defend your logic. I look forward to the debate. Bring it on.

Marriage is a legal contract. Contracts between minors are voidable, meaning the minor has sole discretion in voiding at any time, whereas the major must adhere. A contract where one party is non contracted is no contract at all. If there can be no contract, then there can be no marriage.

Works for dogs, horses, toasters too.

Quote: AZD
No, they are textbook religious theocracy. Islamic law is not "social conservatism."

Even i know most Islamic/ Arabic cultures are very socially conservative. They're pretty much the standard with which to compare
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 10th, 2019 at 10:03:44 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Not really. If we are going to redefine marriage so two people of the same sex can marry, why should we restrict it based on age? Isn't that the two people love each other all that matters?

+1000
And AZ shuts 'em down again!

It's like watching Einstein teach math to beginners. 😂😂
September 10th, 2019 at 12:04:30 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Not really. If we are going to redefine marriage so two people of the same sex can marry, why should we restrict it based on age? Isn't that the two people love each other all that matters? I would really like to hear a good, logical reason. Just be prepared to defend your logic. I look forward to the debate. Bring it on.

See my reply a few pages back. I still haven’t heard a defense to the logic behind conservatives thinking government should be involved in marriage at all.
September 10th, 2019 at 12:09:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: gamerfreak
See my reply a few pages back. I still haven’t heard a defense to the logic behind conservatives thinking government should be involved in marriage at all.

Pretty simple why. If there are going to be legal benefits to marriage then there clearly has to be government certification of the process. Such involvement was not an issue until gays demanded marriage be redefined after thousands of years of it having a clear meaning. After that the left got all small-government, at least in relation to marriage.
The President is a fink.
September 10th, 2019 at 12:16:38 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Pretty simple why. If there are going to be legal benefits to marriage then there clearly has to be government certification of the process. Such involvement was not an issue until gays demanded marriage be redefined after thousands of years of it having a clear meaning. After that the left got all small-government, at least in relation to marriage.

Ok, so government needs to be involved with marriage. How is it not big government for them to make additional requirements to who can and cannot marry?

FWIW children under 18 can get married in many states with parental permission. I am not biting on that argument.

You cannot be in favor of small government and also say the government has the right to tell you which genders can marry, those viewpoints are incompatible.
September 10th, 2019 at 12:22:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: gamerfreak
Ok, so government needs to be involved with marriage. How is it not big government for them to make additional requirements to who can and cannot marry?

Per gay marriage supporters if they do it is bigoted, so ask them.

Quote:
FWIW children under 18 can get married in many states with parental permission. I am not biting on that argument.

You cannot be in favor of small government and also say the government has the right to tell you which genders can marry, those viewpoints are incompatible.

See above reply. Marriage was male/female for eternity and for sensible reasons. Marrying someone of the same sex was simply outside of what marriage was, until the definition was changed. A sad day in history.

I was always for the right of gays to marry, as long as it was the opposite sex. But by your standard government cannot put any restrictions on marriage, including age.
The President is a fink.
September 10th, 2019 at 12:41:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I remember an ep of Sex in the City
20 years ago when Charlotte was
hanging around a group of Gay
women. They were all beautiful,
slender, educated, outgoing, fun,
personable, rich. In other words the
opposite of what a real group
of Gay women looks like.

They kicked her out after she
refused to do any Gay sex with
them. Sure was a nice looking
bunch of actresses playing
Lesbians, though.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.