I reported this already. A month ago
there was no traffic going by my
house on a normally very busy
road. Last week it picked up a
lot and now it's non stop. So
something has drastically changed,
all these people ain't going to
Walmart.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 14th, 2020 at 11:56:21 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Walmart.

The weather got nicer. Next.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 14th, 2020 at 1:07:54 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Walmart.

I have noticed traffic way up if not quite back to normal on the nearby state highway. There is clearly a majority now saying open this thing back up, we are tired of house arrest and prefer the risk of getting sick to the certainty of a depression (during which you will likely get sick.)
The President is a fink.
May 14th, 2020 at 1:13:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: RonC
The kids who were already behind due to parents who don't give a crap or have to work so many hours that they can't help their kids, the ones that people say they care so much about, will be the ones to suffer the most because the structure that they had is gone. You have to balance that against the disease....and it sucks. Many of them don't get regular meals. Those meals come from school programs.

Our economy does depend on these kids getting an education and becoming successful members of society. They are the future of our country. We can't let them continue to fall behind. Balancing that with safety is a high-wire act.
Great post.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 14th, 2020 at 1:15:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Walmart.
I noticed it last Friday. It was like a gate opened somewhere.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 14th, 2020 at 1:28:14 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
There is clearly a majority now saying open this thing back up

No there isn’t.

If you look at the polls, it’s not even close to a majority who are saying this. That is still a fringe position.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 14th, 2020 at 1:47:32 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: RonC

I have not heard that one...

R e: postponing the election

Some headlines
"Kushner, Law Aside, Doesn’t Rule Out Delaying 2020 Election"
"Jared Kushner Won’t Rule Out That Trump Could Try to Delay the Election"
"Jared Kushner Non-Committal When Asked if 2020 Election Could Be Delayed"

Like many things that have been said, joked about, delivered "sarcastically" or take out of context, that message may be being walked back:

"Jared Kushner clarifies after saying he’s ‘not sure’ he can commit to date for presidential election"
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 14th, 2020 at 1:57:43 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Somber warnings temper hopes about a fall return to school -- and normalcy

60 years ago, this would have been horrible news because kids were actually taught vital things in school back then.
But today, I think it's great news!

School don't do squat anymore. Liberal teachers have turned them into indoctrination camps, and kids basically treat school as a dayclub where they hangout with friends and try to find dates. Good riddance!
May 14th, 2020 at 2:17:22 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Dalex64
R e: postponing the election

Some headlines
"Kushner, Law Aside, Doesn’t Rule Out Delaying 2020 Election"
"Jared Kushner Won’t Rule Out That Trump Could Try to Delay the Election"
"Jared Kushner Non-Committal When Asked if 2020 Election Could Be Delayed"

Like many things that have been said, joked about, delivered "sarcastically" or take out of context, that message may be being walked back:

"Jared Kushner clarifies after saying he’s ‘not sure’ he can commit to date for presidential election"

"Bennett: Is there any scenario, including a second outbreak in the fall, where the elections move past November 3rd?

Kushner: That's too far in the future to tell. Nothing that I'm aware of now, but again, our focus right now is just on getting the country—

Bennett: Will [unintelligible] commit that the elections will happen on November 3rd?

Kushner (laughing): It's not my decision to make, so I'm not sure I can commit one way or the other. But right now, that's the plan, and again, hopefully, by the time we get to September, October, November, we've done enough work with testing and with all the different things we're trying to do to prevent a future outbreak of the magnitude that would make us shut down again. I really believe that once America opens up, it will be very hard for America to ever lock down again."

https://reason.com/2020/05/13/no-jared-kushner-did-not-suggest-that-trump-might-unilaterally-delay-the-presidential-election/

It wasn't the "perfect" answer but the key point is not that he said that "I'm not sure I can commit one way or the other" it is that he said that "It's not my decision to make."

Again, he said (correctly, of course) that it is not his decision to make. There is a way for the decision to be made, according to this article:

One article says that Congress can change it...with an overly sensationalized headline "Jared Kushner and Donald Trump don't have the power to cancel the presidential election":

"Federal statute says the day states must appoint their electors to the electoral college is the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, meaning only Congress can change the date."

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-jared-kushner-doesnt-control-timing-of-the-presidential-election-2020-5

I guess headline writers have problems connecting the headlines to the actual news they are reporting...or the reporters and headline reporters are taught to make sure they try to make something completely innocent:

"It's not my decision to make, so I'm not sure I can commit one way or the other."

Into

"I'm not sure I can commit one way or the other."...which sounds like he thinks he can do something about it taken out of context like this
May 14th, 2020 at 2:23:47 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
But why wouldn't someone in his position say that of course he was confident that they were going to have the election as scheduled?

That is part of the mixed message from the administration I am talking about.
Yes we are opening up the schools
Yes we are opening up the businesses
And "that's too far in the future to tell" which is the first quote from him from your post.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan