1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

May 23rd, 2020 at 7:02:52 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO
Ummmm... No.... and no! A scrap of paper with your license superimposed does NOT supercede the discussion between you and your doctor. Once you arrive in a hospital in an emergency, and you are incompetent or unconscious, there is NO WAY they will just let you die because there is a piece of paper in your pocket that says so.

If you arrive competent, and are able to understand the risks of your decision, and choose to be DNR, and a doctor decides to treat you against your will, he is NOT guilty of malpractice. He is guilty of ASSAULT. It is a big difference.

True story. In residency at a VA hospital I was called to intubate a man in distress. Old, sick, no realistic chance for recovery. I make a comment that it is surprising that he is not DNR. The poor medical Resident tells me he is DNR, but was intubated and accidentally self extubated. I told him that I will not intubate him as the most recent consent in the chart lists him as DNR, and how he came to be in this new situation does not change that. The Resident argued that he was already intubated and then became DNR, so I should reintubate him to get him back to the same condition he was in before he self extubated. I still refused. I told him if he wanted to in writing rescind the DNR order I'd intubate him. The resident did just that. i don't remember if there were any repercussions.

It's printed and has my signature, but I'll print a new one and get it notarized as an added step. I can only do the best that I can do. My fiancee knows that I also consent to no treatment unless I specifically ask for it, would you suggest I get that in writing? Granted, it would not be any sort of wrongdoing if they do not check my pockets.

I have no idea what you're talking about with, "You and your doctor," I haven't had a primary caregiver, per se, in nineteen years. The hospital/emergency would have to be some sort of accident with nobody around. I am not to be taken to the hospital unless I verbally consent to be taken there and everyone knows that. As far as I'm concerned, my regular blood donations are enough of an appointment. I only really care about my vitals, so if those are in order, (and they are excellent) then I have no other medical concerns. I always give blood on the first possible day because I'm O-.

That was a pretty interesting story.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 23rd, 2020 at 8:13:17 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
https://disrn.com/news/washington-officials-admit-to-counting-gunshot-victims-as-covid-19-deaths

What is the reason for claiming more Covid deaths than is more accurate?

On the flip side
What is the reason for claiming less Covid deaths is more accurate?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/trump-admin-won-t-require-nursing-homes-count-covid-19-n1213141?fbclid=IwAR2t6y5F9PUTMSPgIBWDLPEAbCB-tb0b4sINgmzS9J2IRmP_J59dQlVUMEo

Conservatives complaining about over counting a few
Liberals complaining about under counting tens of thousands
Big Diff
Overall the numbers are under counted regarding virus deaths
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 23rd, 2020 at 1:20:36 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
On the flip side
What is the reason for claiming less Covid deaths is more accurate?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/trump-admin-won-t-require-nursing-homes-count-covid-19-n1213141?fbclid=IwAR2t6y5F9PUTMSPgIBWDLPEAbCB-tb0b4sINgmzS9J2IRmP_J59dQlVUMEo

Conservatives complaining about over counting a few
Liberals complaining about under counting tens of thousands
Big Diff
Overall the numbers are under counted regarding virus deaths

Part of the problem is defining a Covid19 death. Easy enough with a healthy person who suddenly gets Covid19. It gets more difficult with someone who has numerous health issues, if Covid19 is the straw that broke the camels back is that truly a Covid19? If a senior is suffering from a serious life threatening case of the flu and also catches Covid19 before they die which disease killed them? There is no right or wrong way to label such deaths only different ways. After the heat of the moment in the Covid19 crisis we will have the statics on seniors death over several years. We can then compare that to what we would expect for deaths compared to historical pre-Covid19 stats and tease out how many additional deaths we had. Before then it is all opinion and not hard facts.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 23rd, 2020 at 2:07:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
Part of the problem is defining a Covid19 death. Easy enough with a healthy person who suddenly gets Covid19. It gets more difficult with someone who has numerous health issues, if Covid19 is the straw that broke the camels back is that truly a Covid19? If a senior is suffering from a serious life threatening case of the flu and also catches Covid19 before they die which disease killed them? There is no right or wrong way to label such deaths only different ways. After the heat of the moment in the Covid19 crisis we will have the statics on seniors death over several years. We can then compare that to what we would expect for deaths compared to historical pre-Covid19 stats and tease out how many additional deaths we had. Before then it is all opinion and not hard facts.

Not sure how they do it.

But even before this let's say you have a kid born with hemophilia. (blood doesn't clot normally). If he dies of anything related to bleeding to death, you'd probably have to list hemophilia with anything else. But let's say he loses both legs and bleeds out quickly with no help around. You could just as easily predict a normal person would have died as well.

So, I don't know. Maybe SOOPOO knows a coroner.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:07:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
This article is sobering news as we come out of quarantine.

Sweden kept public life as “normal” as possible, the overarching theory being that there is no way to suppress the coronavirus until a vaccine is approved and widely available. As time has gone on the numbers don’t seem to have borne out this strategy, as Sweden is seeing more deaths from the virus than it might have otherwise. Conspicuously, in the past week, based on a rolling seven-day average, Sweden currently has the highest per capita mortality rate in Europe, having overtaken the U.K., Italy and Belgium. In recent weeks, as deaths have decreased significantly in most other European countries, Sweden’s numbers have remained flat. The death rate is notable, because Sweden has a relatively low population density, a disproportionate number of single households, and low rates of chronic conditions known to be risk factors for severe Covid-19 illness and death.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2020/05/23/swedens-gamble-on-coronavirus-has-it-paid-off/#1304442b2dcd

State epidemiologist Anders Tegnell (R) of the Public Health Agency of Sweden speaks during a news ... [+] TT NEWS AGENCY/AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, instead of imposing a lockdown like most of the rest of the world, Sweden took a different, controversial route. By now, anyone who’s paying attention knows the narrative. The Swedish authorities placed responsibility for risk mitigation on individuals and businesses.

To this end, the government issued guidelines on how individuals could help flatten the curve by hand washing, physical distancing, and avoiding non-essential travel. Residents were asked to work from home as much as possible. And the elderly were told to stay at home, and avoid close contact with others. Gatherings of more than 50 people were banned, but schools that cater to children under 16 remained open. Bars, restaurants, and gyms also stayed open, though with social distancing rules in place.

In short, Sweden kept public life as “normal” as possible, the overarching theory being that there is no way to suppress the coronavirus until a vaccine is approved and widely available. As time has gone on the numbers don’t seem to have borne out this strategy, as Sweden is seeing more deaths from the virus than it might have otherwise.

A number of countries in Europe and elsewhere have been successful at suppressing the coronavirus by pursuing very strict lockdowns, coupled with high rates of testing, isolation of cases, and contact tracing. These include, among others, Austria, Greece, New Zealand, Norway, and Portugal. These countries have achieved both substantially reduced numbers of cases and low death rates, significantly better outcomes than Sweden, which in the past 10 days has seen its mortality rate climb to the top of the table in Europe.

Sweden’s chief state epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, who has been a leading spokesperson for the country’s strategy, counters by maintaining the Swedish approach works better over time because it’s easier to maintain. “Locking people up at home won’t work in the longer term,” Tegnell said.

Undoubtedly, a major challenge looms when countries that have successfully thwarted the virus through lockdowns open up their economies.

Initially, it was thought that Sweden’s relatively relaxed policy would allow for some exposure to the novel coronavirus, which in turn could build immunity among the population. As a by-product - though purportedly not as an intentional policy - this could lead to herd immunity. This is when a high proportion of the population becomes immune to a particular infection, such as SARS-CoV-2. Generally, herd immunity is achieved when at least 60% of the population has been infected, the caveat being that having antibodies doesn’t necessarily imply immunity.

There have been multiple government claims made about when the population in the Stockholm area would reach herd immunity, presumably based on modeled extrapolations. In April, the Swedish Public Health Agency estimated that one-third of Stockholm residents would be infected with the coronavirus by May 1st. However, the Agency had to withdraw the report which contained the model estimates due to faulty calculations.

In mid May, Professor Johan Giesecke, Sweden's former chief epidemiologist, asserted that Stockholm will reach “herd immunity” by June. He didn’t specify what percentage of the population would need to have been infected to reach this milestone.

A few days later, however, on May 21st, it was revealed by independent modelers in Sweden that despite adopting more relaxed measures to control the coronavirus, only 7.3% of people in Stockholm had been exposed to the virus by late April. This percentage is actually lower than estimates from several of the hardest hit cities in the world, such as Wuhan, Madrid, and New York, all of which were under lockdown. Moreover, it’s estimated that between 4%-7% of Sweden’s population has been infected to date. This is not materially different from country-wide estimates for France and Spain, two nations that imposed harsh lockdowns.

As of Friday, May 22nd, 3,925 people have died from Covid-19 in Sweden, a country with a population of 10 million. Neighbors Denmark, Finland and Norway - each with populations about half of Sweden’s - have recorded death tolls of 561, 306 and 235, respectively.

The number of confirmed cases in Sweden stood at 32,809 on May 22nd, between three and five times higher than neighboring countries. But, it’s likely the Swedish figure vastly undercounts the real number of infections given that the country’s testing rate is remarkably low compared to Western European countries and the U.S.

Calculated over the entire time period of the pandemic, Sweden’s death rate has been about average among Western countries, though many times higher than its Scandinavian neighbors, and also higher than the U.S.

Conspicuously, in the past week, based on a rolling seven-day average, Sweden currently has the highest per capita mortality rate in Europe, having overtaken the U.K., Italy and Belgium. In recent weeks, as deaths have decreased significantly in most other European countries, Sweden’s numbers have remained flat.

The death rate is notable, because Sweden has a relatively low population density, a disproportionate number of single households, and low rates of chronic conditions known to be risk factors for severe Covid-19 illness and death.

The relatively small percentage of Stockholm residents with antibodies and the comparatively high death rate do cast doubt on Sweden’s policy. Though as a whole the Swedish population sacrificed less than others in the last two months, that hasn’t given the country a leg up in terms of defeating the virus. Moreover, a comparatively open economy hasn’t translated into economic benefits for Swedes. The Swedish economy is contracting at a similar rate to the rest of Europe. For a country as dependent on international trade and finance as Sweden, the recession is mostly a function of the European and global economic recession.

In many ways Sweden and much of the rest of the world are at present in a similar position vis-à-vis the coronavirus. Whether having opted for a stringent confinement policy, a lighter version of lockdown, or a more lenient approach like Sweden's, for the time being countries must rely on development of treatments for the critically ill, in addition to continued physical distancing, hygiene, face coverings, and contact tracing, until there is an effective vaccine.

Joshua Cohen
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:25:39 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Pacomartin

Sweden kept public life as “normal” as possible, the overarching theory being that there is no way to suppress the coronavirus until a vaccine is approved and widely available. As time has gone on the numbers don’t seem to have borne out this strategy, as Sweden is seeing more deaths from the virus than it might have otherwise. Conspicuously, in the past week, based on a rolling seven-day average, Sweden currently has the highest per capita mortality rate in Europe, having overtaken the U.K., Italy and Belgium. In recent weeks, as deaths have decreased significantly in most other European countries, Sweden’s numbers have remained flat. The death rate is notable, because Sweden has a relatively low population density, a disproportionate number of single households, and low rates of chronic conditions known to be risk factors for severe Covid-19 illness and death.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2020/05/23/swedens-gamble-on-coronavirus-has-it-paid-off/#1304442b2dcd

State epidemiologist Anders Tegnell (R) of the Public Health Agency of Sweden speaks during a news ... [+] TT NEWS AGENCY/AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, instead of imposing a lockdown like most of the rest of the world, Sweden took a different, controversial route. By now, anyone who’s paying attention knows the narrative. The Swedish authorities placed responsibility for risk mitigation on individuals and businesses.

To this end, the government issued guidelines on how individuals could help flatten the curve by hand washing, physical distancing, and avoiding non-essential travel. Residents were asked to work from home as much as possible. And the elderly were told to stay at home, and avoid close contact with others. Gatherings of more than 50 people were banned, but schools that cater to children under 16 remained open. Bars, restaurants, and gyms also stayed open, though with social distancing rules in place.

In short, Sweden kept public life as “normal” as possible, the overarching theory being that there is no way to suppress the coronavirus until a vaccine is approved and widely available. As time has gone on the numbers don’t seem to have borne out this strategy, as Sweden is seeing more deaths from the virus than it might have otherwise.

A number of countries in Europe and elsewhere have been successful at suppressing the coronavirus by pursuing very strict lockdowns, coupled with high rates of testing, isolation of cases, and contact tracing. These include, among others, Austria, Greece, New Zealand, Norway, and Portugal. These countries have achieved both substantially reduced numbers of cases and low death rates, significantly better outcomes than Sweden, which in the past 10 days has seen its mortality rate climb to the top of the table in Europe.

Sweden’s chief state epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, who has been a leading spokesperson for the country’s strategy, counters by maintaining the Swedish approach works better over time because it’s easier to maintain. “Locking people up at home won’t work in the longer term,” Tegnell said.

Undoubtedly, a major challenge looms when countries that have successfully thwarted the virus through lockdowns open up their economies.

Initially, it was thought that Sweden’s relatively relaxed policy would allow for some exposure to the novel coronavirus, which in turn could build immunity among the population. As a by-product - though purportedly not as an intentional policy - this could lead to herd immunity. This is when a high proportion of the population becomes immune to a particular infection, such as SARS-CoV-2. Generally, herd immunity is achieved when at least 60% of the population has been infected, the caveat being that having antibodies doesn’t necessarily imply immunity.

There have been multiple government claims made about when the population in the Stockholm area would reach herd immunity, presumably based on modeled extrapolations. In April, the Swedish Public Health Agency estimated that one-third of Stockholm residents would be infected with the coronavirus by May 1st. However, the Agency had to withdraw the report which contained the model estimates due to faulty calculations.

In mid May, Professor Johan Giesecke, Sweden's former chief epidemiologist, asserted that Stockholm will reach “herd immunity” by June. He didn’t specify what percentage of the population would need to have been infected to reach this milestone.

A few days later, however, on May 21st, it was revealed by independent modelers in Sweden that despite adopting more relaxed measures to control the coronavirus, only 7.3% of people in Stockholm had been exposed to the virus by late April. This percentage is actually lower than estimates from several of the hardest hit cities in the world, such as Wuhan, Madrid, and New York, all of which were under lockdown. Moreover, it’s estimated that between 4%-7% of Sweden’s population has been infected to date. This is not materially different from country-wide estimates for France and Spain, two nations that imposed harsh lockdowns.

As of Friday, May 22nd, 3,925 people have died from Covid-19 in Sweden, a country with a population of 10 million. Neighbors Denmark, Finland and Norway - each with populations about half of Sweden’s - have recorded death tolls of 561, 306 and 235, respectively.

The number of confirmed cases in Sweden stood at 32,809 on May 22nd, between three and five times higher than neighboring countries. But, it’s likely the Swedish figure vastly undercounts the real number of infections given that the country’s testing rate is remarkably low compared to Western European countries and the U.S.

Calculated over the entire time period of the pandemic, Sweden’s death rate has been about average among Western countries, though many times higher than its Scandinavian neighbors, and also higher than the U.S.

Conspicuously, in the past week, based on a rolling seven-day average, Sweden currently has the highest per capita mortality rate in Europe, having overtaken the U.K., Italy and Belgium. In recent weeks, as deaths have decreased significantly in most other European countries, Sweden’s numbers have remained flat.

The death rate is notable, because Sweden has a relatively low population density, a disproportionate number of single households, and low rates of chronic conditions known to be risk factors for severe Covid-19 illness and death.

The relatively small percentage of Stockholm residents with antibodies and the comparatively high death rate do cast doubt on Sweden’s policy. Though as a whole the Swedish population sacrificed less than others in the last two months, that hasn’t given the country a leg up in terms of defeating the virus. Moreover, a comparatively open economy hasn’t translated into economic benefits for Swedes. The Swedish economy is contracting at a similar rate to the rest of Europe. For a country as dependent on international trade and finance as Sweden, the recession is mostly a function of the European and global economic recession.

In many ways Sweden and much of the rest of the world are at present in a similar position vis-à-vis the coronavirus. Whether having opted for a stringent confinement policy, a lighter version of lockdown, or a more lenient approach like Sweden's, for the time being countries must rely on development of treatments for the critically ill, in addition to continued physical distancing, hygiene, face coverings, and contact tracing, until there is an effective vaccine.

Joshua Cohen

I think the key thing in your post Paco is "Sweden’s numbers have remained flat". Yes if continue to isolate we force the numbers down. The real question is if at the end of the day have we reduced the total number of deaths after 6 months or a year. That question is unanswered at the present time. What we do know is that keeping everything lockdown is a tremendous cost to our societies both financially and socially. History will tell us which is the best path.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 23rd, 2020 at 7:53:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Pacomartin

Joshua Cohen
Paco, I'm not sure I know what he is saying?

"A few days later, however, on May 21st, it was revealed by independent modelers in Sweden that despite adopting more relaxed measures to control the coronavirus, only 7.3% of people in Stockholm had been exposed to the virus by late April. This percentage is actually lower than estimates from several of the hardest hit cities in the world, such as Wuhan, Madrid, and New York, all of which were under lockdown. Moreover, it’s estimated that between 4%-7% of Sweden’s population has been infected to date. This is not materially different from country-wide estimates for France and Spain, two nations that imposed harsh lockdown"

Sweden has "not materially different" rates than France or Spain, but not apparently near the exposure rates of Wuhan and New York? But it looks like Sweden has a much higher kill rate than Denmark, Finland or Norway? But the author doesn't spell out who is dying? Is it the old people in rest homes like most of the western world? https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/05/21/report-coronavirus-in-canada-81-percent-of-covid-19-deaths-in-nursing-homes/

The article seems to indicate the author doesn't feel Sweden's economy is doing any better than her neighbors [being a trade based economy], but not having shut down, with similar death rates, I would think that being equal, Sweden is in a much better position if the recovery rate is similar to her neighbors?

Am I missing something, or is it possible the author is biased toward lockdown? I would like to know why with the same exposure rate as her neighbors, Sweden has such a higher death rate attributed to the virus? I also recall something about very poor quality testing in the early days with fake tests coming from China.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 24th, 2020 at 3:12:42 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Coronavirus-(!?) v. God-0

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ec60a00c5b6dfc078e0f7ee?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003&fbclid=IwAR3TyigicWZgN5IR2Y8YGHqI-54lYnIcVafse9tRuM4PvJkMaKvcJ5fdIoE
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 24th, 2020 at 3:30:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mission146

Pastor Who Claimed To Cure Coronavirus With Faith Dies Of Coronavirus

How odd. Jesus said believers could
cure the sick and Jesus is never
wrong.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 24th, 2020 at 10:13:03 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
Sure I am. Look around, people are standing up against the lockdowns all over. What I do not get is why it is so divided among political lines. Liberals are the ones preferring to be locked down. Conservatives want to get back to work and on with life. Why?
+100
Exactly!

There are 2 groups of people in the country:
—One group wants to get back to work and make a living to support themselves & their family.
—The other group wants to sit on their asses all day and leech off others and live on the dole.

Gee, I wonder which group is conservative and which group is full of libbies?? Hmm..... 🤔

Quote: AZDuffman
Those cops are to be commended, they are oath keepers not oath breakers. Nobody is being harmed and no "victim" to the "crime." We need to see more and more of this. Those still favoring lockdowns are on the wrong side of this now.
+100 again

When that other dude defended police brutality, I couldn't believe it. I told him that the woman without a mask slapped the cop's hand away because it was near her breasts, and he basically replied with "The police didn't write that down in the police report, so it didn't happen" How pathetic is that argument?? 🤦‍♀️