No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

May 28th, 2020 at 1:10:00 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Pacomartin
In 1918 the deaths from the flu pandemic in India are estimated from 12-20 million. China has a comparatively mild flu season in 1918. Now both countries report fewer than 5000 deaths from Covid-19.

COVID-19 seems to have left most of the third world alone. Look at the list of nations with over 60 million population (73% of the population of the world).

"Deaths/1M pop""Country,Other"
552.1 UK
546.9 Italy
438.2 France
308.6 USA
120.5 Brazil
101.9 Germany
90.2 Iran
63.2 Mexico
52.6 Turkey
46.0 World ------------------------
27.2 Russia------------------- part of first world
8.3 Philippines
8.0 Egypt
6.8 Japan ------------------- part of first world
5.6 Pakistan
5.4 Indonesia
3.3 Bangladesh
3.3 India
3.2 China
1.2 Nigeria
0.8 Thailand
0.8 DRC
0.1 Ethiopia
0.0 Vietnam
That seems really odd? For something natural, any thoughts about why that is?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 28th, 2020 at 4:31:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph

Perhaps because they undercount and we overcount?
The President is a fink.
May 28th, 2020 at 6:02:24 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
I love this business owner!!
He bans people from entering if they're wearing masks lol! 😂😂

Some businesses pledge to keep out customers who cover their faces

I love the part where he says:

Quote:
"If we're only allowed to be at 25 percent capacity, I want them to be 25 percent of people that aren't p-----, that aren't sheep."
LOL!!!!
May 28th, 2020 at 6:11:39 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Shrek

LOL!!!!

I get the feeling Shrek is attempting to "own the libs" with these anti-mask posts, but when 75% of Americans favor wearing masks to protect their fellow citizens from the virus, is it really "owning the libs" or just showing yourself to be a person with far-right fringe views?

I mean, after all, this is the guy who basically called for genocide of "libbies" who live in big cities...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 28th, 2020 at 9:15:33 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: petroglyph

It does seem really odd. A hundred years ago there was some speculation that China's folk medicine kept the death rate low. But India has folk medicine as well, and they were devastated.

COVID-19 seems unnatural even within Europe. Germany and Eastern Europe is shockingly low compared to Western Europe, and it is difficult to think that Germany's public health response was that much superior.

The death rate in May when it gets warmer has differed radically in the countries that took the primary hit. Sweden's percentage is particularly alarming since "herd immunity" was supposed to kick in by now. Sweden is the only country in Europe that did not order a general quarantine, and they seem to be paying the price.

Percentage of Deaths from COVID-19 that occurred in May
42% SWE Sweden
39% USA
30% GBR Britain
20% NLD Netherlands
16% ITA Italy
16% FRA France
9% ESP Spain

What will it take to achieve herd immunity with SARS-CoV-2?
As with any other infection, there are two ways to achieve herd immunity: A large proportion of the population either gets infected or gets a protective vaccine. Based on early estimates of this virus’s infectiousness, we will likely need at least 70% of the population to be immune to have herd protection.
May 28th, 2020 at 9:18:46 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288

LOL!!!!

I get the feeling Shrek is attempting to "own the libs" with these anti-mask posts, but when 75% of Americans favor wearing masks to protect their fellow citizens from the virus, is it really "owning the libs" or just showing yourself to be a person with far-right fringe views?

I mean, after all, this is the guy who basically called for genocide of "libbies" who live in big cities...

I wouldn't call the 'anti-mask' stance far right wing 'fringe'. If it is really 25%, then I don't call that a 'fringe'. I will wear a mask in every situation that I have to, without complaint. But I am totally in support of a business, where it is legal, to prohibit mask wearing customers. As long as it is clearly posted. The customers can choose to accept the risks involved. Or choose to frequent a different bar.
May 28th, 2020 at 9:25:09 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Pacomartin
In 1918 the deaths from the flu pandemic in India are estimated from 12-20 million. China has a comparatively mild flu season in 1918. Now both countries report fewer than 5000 deaths from Covid-19.

COVID-19 seems to have left most of the third world alone. Look at the list of nations with over 60 million population (73% of the population of the world).

"Deaths/1M pop""Country,Other"
552.1 UK
546.9 Italy
438.2 France
308.6 USA
120.5 Brazil
101.9 Germany
90.2 Iran
63.2 Mexico
52.6 Turkey
46.0 World ------------------------
27.2 Russia------------------- part of first world
8.3 Philippines
8.0 Egypt
6.8 Japan ------------------- part of first world
5.6 Pakistan
5.4 Indonesia
3.3 Bangladesh
3.3 India
3.2 China
1.2 Nigeria
0.8 Thailand
0.8 DRC
0.1 Ethiopia
0.0 Vietnam

In the study referred to earlier it found that 30 to 60% of people might have some level of immunity to Covid19. This work was done on blood samples taken before the pandemic. Maybe there is a genetic, therefore race, component to this latent immunity. I also wonder if it might be related to how strong your immune system must be to even survive in the 3rd world. The immune system theory might be supported by the what has generally happened to our street people. Intuitively everyone has been worried about their life style putting them at much greater risk. The statics so far have not shown any additional risk and in numerous places they are below average in the number of cases.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 28th, 2020 at 9:38:00 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: SOOPOO
Quote: ams288

LOL!!!!

I wouldn't call the 'anti-mask' stance far right wing 'fringe'. If it is really 25%, then I don't call that a 'fringe'. I will wear a mask in every situation that I have to, without complaint. But I am totally in support of a business, where it is legal, to prohibit mask wearing customers. As long as it is clearly posted. The customers can choose to accept the risks involved. Or choose to frequent a different bar.

He's a dude who actually applauded the death of another human being AND named specific people that he wants dead like you mentioned before.

Applauding and wishing death on people just because you don't like them is such a classless & disgusting thing to say. None of the conservatives here would ever stoop so low.
May 28th, 2020 at 9:41:48 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Applauding and wishing death on people just because you don't like them is such a classless & disgusting thing to say. None of the conservatives here would ever stoop so low.

The facts show otherwise. No libbies have ever been suspended for 30 days for hate speech like you have.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 28th, 2020 at 10:00:18 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO

I'm going to agree with SOOPOO and further reiterate my position that none of this should be by way of Government order. My position is that the Government (and concerned citizens) should have simply encouraged safety guidelines for folks and also identified at-risk groups (and those who live with at-risk groups) to say that they definitely want to strongly consider following the protocols.

At that point, each individual can decide whether or not he/she wants to follow those optional guidelines.

The businesses have either the choice to require that ALL patrons wear masks if they want to come in or that no patrons are even permitted to wear masks. That's simple free association, so if you don't like what the business requires (whatever it may be) then you just shut your mouth and go somewhere else where you do like the rules.

To be clear, a business literally cannot be, "Treading on your freedoms," due to having rules because their property rights (which, actually, represent THEIR freedoms) convey upon them the right to have whatever rules they like as long as same do not violate the law.

Anyway, I've done my homework enough on this one that I choose to wear a mask in public (in case I did have it, I wouldn't want to spread it, I don't really give a sweet **** if I get it or not) as well as gloves with a spray bottle of alcohol in the car to disinfect the gloves.

Some others may make an opposite choice and that's fine. They'll just have to see what happens. I consider not taking any precautions to be a bit socially irresponsible, but it's not for me or the Government to force anyone to do anything. It's really social responsibility for me, I wouldn't want to give it to anyone else if I happened to get it because I'd consider myself responsible...not that I'd ever really know.

But, yeah, people can completely ignore the guidelines if they wish. Hasn't worked out so well for the churches, though I encourage religious people to gather unmasked in tightly packed buildings----IF THEY WANT TO---after all, worst case scenario is they go get to be with The Lord a little sooner than they otherwise may have.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman