January 15th, 2021 at 3:31:10 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Shrek

Quote: Gandler
I have always gotten a flu shot every year

Gee, why am I not surprised?? 😂😂

(I don't even know why I am responding)

But, you are surprised that I am a responsible adult and follow the requirements of my employers and insurance?

(And, I would get the Flu shot even if I had to pay cash and was not required to, because the flu sucks, and its worth the virtually non-existence inconvenience, it takes like 2 mins and costs like 20-30 USD.....)

I grew up with parents who were anti-vax so I know what it is like to not get the flu shot and never again...
The flu shot is so cheap and easy, I am confident saying that anyone who does not get the flu shot is ill-informed. (If you live somewhere without access or resources, or have a legit medical reason, then obviously this does not apply to you, but for 99% of Americans....).
January 15th, 2021 at 6:25:12 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Gandler
...I grew up with parents who were anti-vax so I know what it is like to not get the flu shot and never again...
What's it like? Were you sick alot with preventable diseases?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 15th, 2021 at 6:46:43 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: petroglyph
What's it like? Were you sick alot with preventable diseases?

My parents bought into the whole "vaccines cause autism" thing.... I remember one day I was at my Primary Care Doctor with my mom and they were conspiring (that may be an overly shady word, but not sure how else to word it) ways to get out of vaccines, and the Doctor just said, "We will just write down religious exemption on here, its the easiest way and nobody can really question it", one year when doing the school physical. Even though it was not a religious exemption (though equally illogical), just the whole "natural" craze thing in the 90s....
(To be fair to them, they no longer hold this view, and are huge supporters of COVID vaccines and mask mandates, but I can only speak to my experience as a child).

I was not actually sick very often (in fact rarely if at all), I have always been fortunate with good health. But, I have had the flu once as a teenager, and it was terrible. Even if the Flu shot makes me 0.000000000001% less likely to get the flu that year, it is 100% worth it. The flu sucks, you feel like crap for like a week. And, from what I have been told by people who I trust, who have had COVID, COVID is like the FLU X10000. Don't want the flu ever again, and don't want COVID ever. I will happily get vaccinated every year to even minorly decrease this possibility. I have no problems with strict measures to keep this pandemic in check. And, I fully support all vaccinations, and I will be the first in line when the government approves my priority group (which will probably be last based on my age and health). And, I will happily line up every year to get the COVID vaccine, just like the Flu shot, even if it does not turn out to be an annual requirement. There is no reason (aside from rare health conditions and accessibility) to not get immunized to as much as possible, I fully support vaccines, and I fully support companies (employers, schools, and insurance) and governments leveraging influence to ensure vaccinations.
January 16th, 2021 at 1:54:14 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: DRich
In Nevada smoking pot is only legal when smoked in your own premises.

Bankrupt states, desperate for tax revenues, turned marijuana into a health food.

This is your brain on marijuana:

"Conclusion: Multiple brain regions show low perfusion on SPECT in marijuana users. The most predictive region distinguishing marijuana users from healthy controls, the hippocampus, is a key target of Alzheimer's disease pathology. This study raises the possibility of deleterious brain effects of marijuana use."
January 16th, 2021 at 3:36:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko

"Conclusion: Multiple brain regions show low perfusion on SPECT in marijuana users. The most predictive region distinguishing marijuana users from healthy controls, the hippocampus, is a key target of Alzheimer's disease pathology. This study raises the possibility of deleterious brain effects of marijuana use."

That is simple logic. It you take something to alter your brain on a regular basis it is going to affect it. Anyone who has been around users who have that "stoner delay" to things can see the effects.
The President is a fink.
January 16th, 2021 at 10:40:21 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

My assumption is that most pot smokers are probably already a little damaged.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 16th, 2021 at 2:59:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Yea but at least I'm enjoying the ride
Walked all along the beautiful walkway by London bridge.
Both sides
Did it buzzed
Life is good
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 16th, 2021 at 3:07:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined

Yea but at least I'm enjoying the ride
Walked all along the beautiful walkway by London bridge.
Both sides
Did it buzzed
Life is good
moved to the rv thread
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 16th, 2021 at 3:48:34 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Bankrupt states, desperate for tax revenues, turned marijuana into a health food.

Breaking News: If you eat fried chicken, you might get fat and die.
January 16th, 2021 at 4:10:07 PM permalink
Gandler

I am not a Doctor, and I don't smoke marijuana. But, I am pretty sure I have seen similar images for "alcohol daily use".

I think that any such drug can (and probably does) damage the brain if used regularly (especially at a young age).

Here is one that I quickly found:

I think the safe assumption is young people (with developing brains) should not use any drug (including alcohol, and probably not even caffeine or nicotine), and that older people should choose to moderate or abstain.

The one exception to this is nicotine, which appears to be good for the brain (even then, like caffeine should not be used in developing brains).
Which is good because nicotine and caffeine are really the only drugs that I like.