Stimulus

April 11th, 2020 at 8:34:56 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
"The Fed is not simply accepting junk bonds as collateral for loans, it will actually be buying junk bonds — potentially hundreds of billions of dollars of them."

https://wallstreetonparade.com/2020/04/the-fed-is-killing-the-two-main-functions-of-wall-street-price-discovery-and-prudent-capital-allocation/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 12th, 2020 at 6:01:42 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: petroglyph
"The Fed is not simply accepting junk bonds as collateral for loans, it will actually be buying junk bonds — potentially hundreds of billions of dollars of them."

https://wallstreetonparade.com/2020/04/the-fed-is-killing-the-two-main-functions-of-wall-street-price-discovery-and-prudent-capital-allocation/

I own one 'junk' bond. FORD. When I bought it it was not a junk bond, but the horrible performance, and now the pandemic, have made people believe Ford will not be able to escape bankruptcy. It was trading around 70 cents on the dollar on Friday; I am interested to see if it went up by tomorrow.
April 12th, 2020 at 9:17:52 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
I own one 'junk' bond. FORD. When I bought it it was not a junk bond, but the horrible performance, and now the pandemic, have made people believe Ford will not be able to escape bankruptcy. It was trading around 70 cents on the dollar on Friday; I am interested to see if it went up by tomorrow.

I just bought a little bit of Ford last week.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 12th, 2020 at 9:46:11 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich

And the Ford I bought just bit it.

Sounds like a Sturgil Simpson song.

You know I bought a little bit of the Ford last week
And the Ford I bought just bit it
They say the life I live ain't for the weak
And I been thinkin i should just quit it

Buy me a Cadillac that's long and lean
And put the whole damn thing on credit
And if the goddamn bankers wanna collect their tab
Then them fat pigs can come get it
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 12th, 2020 at 10:10:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich

Too early for me, I will wait to see what summer brings. The Ford family will fight BK to the end, but Ford has problems bigger than some China virus.
The President is a fink.
April 12th, 2020 at 11:49:56 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Face
And the Ford I bought just bit it.
What puked?

Mine is still fine.
April 12th, 2020 at 12:09:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: SOOPOO
How are your REIT's for senior housing working?
April 12th, 2020 at 3:26:21 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: petroglyph
How are your REIT's for senior housing working?

I believe OK. They are private equity, so I have no conclusive way to know. I have small stakes in 6 of these things. 4 are still paying dividends and two have suspended, and sent nice letters assuring me that once pandemic is over they are positioned to resume. I think the two that suspended are more involved in hotels. They all, I believe, have suspended the ability to sell them back. This is made clear when you buy into them, that they are very illiquid investments. The funny thing is, they have just sent me the year end stuff, showing (theoretical) nice gains. Oh well. I'll get back to you if anything changes.
April 12th, 2020 at 11:24:27 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
My bank accounts show deposits pending for stimulus funds...one for us and one for one of our kids.

I only get to keep the one, of course,
April 14th, 2020 at 10:50:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: RonC
My bank accounts show deposits pending for stimulus funds...one for us and one for one of our kids.

Anybody get the $1200 deposit yet?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.