No votes (0%)
5 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

March 14th, 2021 at 4:24:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
That's what I'm saying, it's just called it a, 'Package,' instead of a letter. If you were getting enough from FedEx to justify it, then you could probably get a FedEx dropbox at your house if you really wanted to.

My underlying point is that the USPS conducts deliveries to places (or at least at prices to those places) that FedEx and UPS would not. If you or those recipients want to get rid of that, then suit yourselves. I'm certainly not going to offer any meaningful opposition.

UPS and FedEX do not use drop boxes at high volume places, they usually have someone sign for the lot. My employer gets hundreds a day. You could build a house out of the deliveries. The point still remains that USPS has its monopoly by law. My point is nobody besides USPS can make the deliveries they do. Nobody else can do bulk deliveries to every house in a ZIP code for example. Modern tech might be blurring that, but it remains the law.
The President is a fink.
March 14th, 2021 at 5:10:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

It looks like junk because it is junk, it's just junk that some people happen to place a high value on. Did the artist just randomly throw paint at the canvas?

Some encrypted code is going for $60K. Who are we to judge?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 14th, 2021 at 5:42:16 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Watch Prager U "Why is modern art so bad?" One art teacher asked students to say what they see in a piece like this. Then he widens the image to show it was just his dirty paint overalls. While sometimes a mismash of colors like this can look good paying more than $20 for it is insane.

Haha..."Watch Prager U...," you have a great sense of humor.

Don't worry, I made the same joke when someone asked me to read an opinion piece from Washington Post.

Anyway, I'll leave art for the artists. If they think that a bunch of globs on a canvas has any meaning, then they are free to think that. Maybe it does have meaning for them. Why should I worry about what they think it means? I just know that it means nothing to me and care no more about the entire subject of art.

I guess the only exception is landscape paintings, those are fine, but we have cameras on our phones now, so they're unnecessary.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 14th, 2021 at 5:43:48 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Some encrypted code is going for $60K. Who are we to judge?

I may not know art, but I know what I don't like...and I don't like art.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 14th, 2021 at 5:45:43 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
UPS and FedEX do not use drop boxes at high volume places, they usually have someone sign for the lot. My employer gets hundreds a day. You could build a house out of the deliveries. The point still remains that USPS has its monopoly by law. My point is nobody besides USPS can make the deliveries they do. Nobody else can do bulk deliveries to every house in a ZIP code for example. Modern tech might be blurring that, but it remains the law.

Well, for what it's worth, I think both of us are making an unassailable point.
March 14th, 2021 at 5:47:48 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
I've read a lot about mathematics performance by gender. Research shows that girls tend to drop out of taking mathematics classes once the requirements are met whereas boys are usually taught that math is important and they should stick with it longer.
"is math sexist?" is another topic that could be started and I just might.

That women need to do better in "STEM" disciplines generally was a recent push in education, is that still a 'thing'? Something tells me it might be taking a back seat to other things now.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 14th, 2021 at 9:05:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Can't say that better myself.

Thank you.

Quote:
I did not know Vegas had some form of school choice. Is Clark County just one big district.

As I understand it, there are three types of schools that the public may attend:

1. Conventional school assigned to your particular address.
2. Magnet school.
3. Charter school.

Students must apply and be accepted to Magnet Schools. They are generally for the better students and focus on a certain area, like science or the arts. A down side is there is no bus service so you have to get your kid there yourself somehow.

Charter schools are similar to Magnet Schools in that anyone can apply, but the school may choose who they accept. It's my understanding they are privately run but paid for by the state. I'm sure the state oversees quality, but I don't know much about that. I absolutely applaud the idea of letting the private sector attempt to do better than the state is doing.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 15th, 2021 at 2:18:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard
Thank you.

As I understand it, there are three types of schools that the public may attend:

1. Conventional school assigned to your particular address.
2. Magnet school.
3. Charter school.

Students must apply and be accepted to Magnet Schools. They are generally for the better students and focus on a certain area, like science or the arts. A down side is there is no bus service so you have to get your kid there yourself somehow.

Charter schools are similar to Magnet Schools in that anyone can apply, but the school may choose who they accept. It's my understanding they are privately run but paid for by the state. I'm sure the state oversees quality, but I don't know much about that. I absolutely applaud the idea of letting the private sector attempt to do better than the state is doing.

Sounds similar to a lot of places, but also I am curious are all the conventional schools one administrative unit? That is what is weird to me as I grew up and live in the county with probably the most districts in the nation. In perspective it would be as if Bellagio was in one district, what was the Stardust was another, and where the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop was still another, and so on. Each with their own administrative system. I am assuming Clark County is not that way and just one admin unit sort of like Metro is all the cops?
The President is a fink.
March 15th, 2021 at 2:19:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Haha..."Watch Prager U...," you have a great sense of humor.

How? They make good points in a logical way.
The President is a fink.
March 15th, 2021 at 4:57:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I decided to look into Erica J. Graham, Assistant Professor of Mathematics at Bryn Mawr college, the featured speaker in the video. The two links are almost all that come up, besides links to the video. 

Ph.D. University of Utah 2012  Dissertation:  Mathematical Models of Mechanisms Underlying Long-Term Type 2 Diabetes Progression

None of this information leads you to expect such a well-versed scholar of what is called 'Critical Race Theory'. I'm thinking you can't get a doctorate in that at U of U or surely that is what she would have her doctorate in, it's as if her whole being is consumed by it. When she teaches her math class, is it more a class in critical race theory than a class in math? I would bet it is, how would such a person ever be able to hold back?

Wikipedia has a page on Critical Race Theory. "As of 2002, over 20 American law schools and at least 3 non-American law schools offered critical race theory courses or classes ". It is a passport to mental illness from what I can tell. 

https://www.brynmawr.edu/people/erica-j-graham
https://www.mathgenealogy.org/id.php?id=167188
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]