Israel under Siege

June 4th, 2021 at 2:30:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
Yes, but the Palestinians really got the rawest of raw deals when Israel was created and they immediately became second class citizens and are forced to live in lousy conditions, politically impotent.

Who can blame them for wanting to destroy Israel?

Me, I am pro-Israel.

As for the left in America, last year it was the blacks, this year its the Palestinians.

The left can be ignored, for now anyway.

The Palestinians have had any number of chances to better their situation. They ruin every last one of them.
The President is a fink.
June 4th, 2021 at 2:32:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
Sadly, the left is once again failing us with the encouragement of boycotts of Israel. And, I do not mean the opposition of foreign aid to Israel (which unless you oppose all foreign aid your views are suspect at best), but people accusing Israel of "War Crimes" and "Apartheid".... Its so absurd it would be laughable, except that millions support them.

Seems to me you are committed supporter of the left. See, this is what the left is. The cancel culture wants to cancel Israel.

Many of us have tried to explain this is who the left is.
The President is a fink.
June 4th, 2021 at 3:32:06 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Sadly, the left is once again failing us with the encouragement of boycotts of Israel. And, I do not mean the opposition of foreign aid to Israel (which unless you oppose all foreign aid your views are suspect at best), but people accusing Israel of "War Crimes" and "Apartheid".... Its so absurd it would be laughable, except that millions support them.

Seems to me you are committed supporter of the left. See, this is what the left is. The cancel culture wants to cancel Israel.

Many of us have tried to explain this is who the left is.

Not President Biden, he is very pro-Israel.

Sadly there are some in the left who are trying to cause divides. There are certain congress people who are so anti-Israel that it is shocking (but not really). Some on the right are as well, but the two that come to my mind are Democrats (and shall remain nameless), and there are a couple in their group who I think are legitimately useful idiots (and buy into the Palestinians are oppressed narrative, and want to look like heroes or something), but there are two who certainly have sinister intentions. I would lump Republican congressperson in with them (who also happens to be female), but she is so absurd her anti-Semitism is not taken seriously (clearly she only wants views).

The left should support Israel because it is basically a liberal paradise. Equal rights for all, universal healthcare, strong military, free (basically) college and education, and free speech. Its basically the progressive dream all in one country.

You can burn an Israeli flag in Israel and the Israeli police will protect you. Try burning a Palestinian flag in Gaza, that should rest the case.
June 5th, 2021 at 2:44:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman

Sadly there are some in the left who are trying to cause divides. There are certain congress people who are so anti-Israel that it is shocking (but not really).

Shocking? How shocking? We told you about them all along. Trump called them out and the left that you so strongly support said, "HE CALLED THEM 'THE SQUAD' THAT IS RACIST!

Hating Israel and supporting the terrorist state that is the Palestinians is part of being a good liberal and good Democrat. Quit complaining.
The President is a fink.
June 5th, 2021 at 8:50:14 AM permalink
Gandler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzcuAhXxmCQ

I was extremely pleased last night to see Bill Maher do a segment on Israel. Bill Maher who is an excellent comedian, has also been an unapologetic supporter Israel over the years. Unlike a certain other HBO comedian who seems to be giving into pressure from certain groups.....
Bill Maher is pretty much the prefect Democrat in his views.

Edit I also really enjoyed him calling out "from the river to the sea" by people supporting Hamas. People who say this are either intentionally or unintentionally calling for genocide. This is the first time I have heard a major media figure call out people for this.
June 5th, 2021 at 10:41:47 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I understand that the holocaust led to the creation of Israel: to claim that the Nazis treated the European Jews badly would be an understatement.

But seizing Palestine from the Arabs and claiming it as their own country understandably led to antipathy and hostility by the Palestinians against the usurping Jews: why wouldn't it?

How would you like it is some stranger came to your home and said "Get out, this is my house now: go live in the tool shed?"
June 5th, 2021 at 11:01:51 AM permalink
Gandler
I understand that the holocaust led to the creation of Israel: to claim that the Nazis treated the European Jews badly would be an understatement.

But seizing Palestine from the Arabs and claiming it as their own country understandably led to antipathy and hostility by the Palestinians against the usurping Jews: why wouldn't it?

How would you like it is some stranger came to your home and said "Get out, this is my house now: go live in the tool shed?"

No, it was British land. For most of history it was part of the very large Ottoman Empire. After the allies won WWI (and the Ottoman Empire disbanded) Britain was awarded what was called Palestine, and it was then under UN approval designed to become a Jewish State.

It was pretty much invaded right after officially becoming Israel by all of its neighbors (who were joined by Palestinian militas). Everyone, even the CIA and British intelligence thought Israel would be done. But, not only did they win, they won with surprising speed against all odds.

Many Arab leaders during the war encouraged Palestinians to leave their homes (under the assumption that they would quickly have the whole land), this of course did not happen.
June 5th, 2021 at 11:14:20 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I don't much care what the League of Nations decreed after WWI; my point is that the Arab people had lived there many generations and were made to get out so that a flood of Jewish immigrants could take their place, especially after the 1948 war. Prior to then 85% of Palestine was Arab.

Not anymore.

"Get out, your house is now my house!" said the Israeli at gun point.
June 5th, 2021 at 12:54:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Not sure how they designated land ownership before a state is established. For instance, if an American Indian tribe had a range of land that they followed seasonally tracking buffalo, I'd say it's fair to say they have rights to that land even if they aren't on it all year. However, I don't think you can claim the land you literally, never occupy. At least no one is likely to accept that.

Of course nation states, usually confer supreme status. You don't have to ever step foot on your property, but you can hold it, do nothing with it, and keep others from using it. Kind of arrogant actually.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 5th, 2021 at 5:03:55 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I don't much care what the League of Nations decreed after WWI; my point is that the Arab people had lived there many generations and were made to get out so that a flood of Jewish immigrants could take their place, especially after the 1948 war. Prior to then 85% of Palestine was Arab.

Not anymore.

"Get out, your house is now my house!" said the Israeli at gun point.

Can you explain to me the difference between that and what the US did to the Indians?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin