Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee

So defund the police?
The President is a fink.
August 12th, 2021 at 11:43:44 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
You may well not have had one. Individual states can generally set whatever graduation requirements that they wish, as far as credits and testing are concerned.

Those credit requirements sound roughly similar to the ones that I had. I may or may not have went to school in a state that required two years of a foreign language, but as I understand it, some states/districts have no foreign language requirements. Pennsylvania, for example, does not require a foreign language, but I did not go to H.S. in Pennsylvania. In my case, it might have been the second school district itself that required it as opposed to the state because the state doesn't seem to require it now; that said, I graduated H.S. almost twenty years ago.

Anyway, they are pretty arbitrary. For instance, I only required two total credits of either PE or Health; I ended up taking more than that as I like exercise anyway and will take the, "A," average padding.***

I wouldn't exactly call the day fluff (except senior year). I'm going to try to think back to High School in my mind and see if I can roughly remember a semester from each year...

Freshman:

Composition 9
French
Metal Working, Woodworking & Electronics
Physical Education
Geometry
History 9
General Sciences 9
Computers

Sophomore:

Accounting I
Language Arts 10 AP (Different school, so it was called something else)
French II
Physical Education/Health (half and half)
History 10 AP
Coordinated Sciences 10
Business Technology
Algebra II AP

Junior:

Accounting II
Language Arts 11 AP
French III
Public Speaking
World History AP
Marketing
Radio I
Pre-Calculus

Senior: (This is the coast to a diploma and make sure to hold GPA year---all easy classes!)

English 12 AP (Different school again!)
Creative Writing I & Creative Writing II
Civics and Government AP
Business Management
Environmental Science (The EASY one!!! This school required THREE Science credits, the buttheads. I'd never coasted to As in science before!)
Spanish I
Driver's Education
(Volunteer Period in lieu of Study Hall---LD Room)

What sucked was that I would have graduated a semester early, except I needed another half credit in Science. Can you imagine if I would have taken a real Science class, like Chemistry, failed and then had to repeat my Senior Year (carrying a near 4.0 average, mind you) because I need half of a science credit?

MISSION: What's the easiest science class?

VICE-PRINCIPAL: Why? You're a perpetual Principal's List student from (other school), if our AP classes were weighted the same way, your GPA would actually be higher than a 4.0.

MISSION: Yeah, screw that. I suck at Science and I want to get out of here unscathed. What's the closest thing you have to a free A?

VICE-PRINCIPAL: Environmental Science class, but that's mostly going to be kids who are barely even going to graduate. Probably one-quarter of the students in that class are going to repeat their senior years.

MISSION: Awesome, sign me up for that one.

***Looking back, I guess I only did two total credits of PE and/or Health...I'd have thought I did more than that.

Maybe fluff was a bad word, I just meant in terms of graduating. I stayed busy all day. I only ever had one study hall, I think junior year, I took Spanish I and II my first two years, and for some reason I thought it would be fun to take Greek or Latin (I think it was Greek because it was only briefly offered) junior year, and whichever it was I was in it for like two weeks and just realized that it was not for me, and dropped, and since I did not *need* language credits I did not worry about changing classes.

Science I was in a similar boat (biology I did well in, but I hated chemistry, and had no desire to attempt the physics route), so I think I took Oceanography and Astronomy junior and senior year respectively.

I had band every year as a class, so that filled one of my slots (and was also an automatic A just like Gym). I think "History Through Film" was a fun class where we just watched a movie every day and then took a test on it (movies that followed US History, so I think the Patriot was the first movie, and then you eventually make it to WWII and Vietnam movies). There were certainly some fun electives.

The only two AP classes I took were AP Psychology and AP World History. I think I got As in both, but I only actually took the exam for Psychology so those are the only AP credits I accrued in high school (for whatever reason I got lazy and just did not bother going to the exam for World History, I think they were on Saturdays near the end of the year so there may have been a conflict). In retrospect, if I knew then what I do now, I would have taken all AP classes (they were not challenging, they vastly inflate your GPA because they are heavily weighted, so even if you get a B in AP History its better for your GPA than getting an A in Honors History, and you can basically graduate HS with a free associates degree). In fact in many ways AP classes may be easier, because they are based on a college semester worth of materials (like 2-3 months), and instead you have the whole year (like 10 months or however long a school year is) to cover the same materials, and for the credits you only have to pass one exam at the very end (and I think have a certain grade in the class, like at least a C).
August 12th, 2021 at 12:28:56 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler

Maybe fluff was a bad word, I just meant in terms of graduating. I stayed busy all day. I only ever had one study hall, I think junior year, I took Spanish I and II my first two years, and for some reason I thought it would be fun to take Greek or Latin (I think it was Greek because it was only briefly offered) junior year, and whichever it was I was in it for like two weeks and just realized that it was not for me, and dropped, and since I did not *need* language credits I did not worry about changing classes.

Science I was in a similar boat (biology I did well in, but I hated chemistry, and had no desire to attempt the physics route), so I think I took Oceanography and Astronomy junior and senior year respectively.

I had band every year as a class, so that filled one of my slots (and was also an automatic A just like Gym). I think "History Through Film" was a fun class where we just watched a movie every day and then took a test on it (movies that followed US History, so I think the Patriot was the first movie, and then you eventually make it to WWII and Vietnam movies). There were certainly some fun electives.

The only two AP classes I took were AP Psychology and AP World History. I think I got As in both, but I only actually took the exam for Psychology so those are the only AP credits I accrued in high school (for whatever reason I got lazy and just did not bother going to the exam for World History, I think they were on Saturdays near the end of the year so there may have been a conflict). In retrospect, if I knew then what I do now, I would have taken all AP classes (they were not challenging, they vastly inflate your GPA because they are heavily weighted, so even if you get a B in AP History its better for your GPA than getting an A in Honors History, and you can basically graduate HS with a free associates degree). In fact in many ways AP classes may be easier, because they are based on a college semester worth of materials (like 2-3 months), and instead you have the whole year (like 10 months or however long a school year is) to cover the same materials, and for the credits you only have to pass one exam at the very end (and I think have a certain grade in the class, like at least a C).

My Senior year was odd because it was a new school, and for some reason, they were trying this new idea where they would require students to take a study hall, or I would have taken something goofy. I went and complained to Administration on the grounds that my study hall was right after lunch, so I had absolutely zero use for a study hall as I could just get any needed work done during lunch anyway. At that point, they gave me the option of three or four optional volunteer activities in lieu of study hall, so I chose helping out in the learning disability room. It was definitely more attractive than going outside and picking up loose garbage, which was one of the other options.

I took foreign language all four years, but Spanish I my Senior year was just for the free 4.0. I want to say I aced French III (overall) both semesters my Junior year, but it was starting to actually get tough to maintain an A towards the end---so screw a fourth year of it.

Yeah, I was a terrible science student. I mostly didn't understand the point of being there because my, 'Focus,' as they called it was generally business and writing oriented. I actually had enough elective credits in both of those categories that I was considered as having a dual-emphasis. Of course, my High School Diploma doesn't say anything about that---it just says I graduated with, 'High Honors,' overall, so I'm not sure what the point was. The physical diploma might not have even said that, but any transcripts would---I couldn't tell you as I lost the actual diploma more than a decade ago.

Our AP classes were only slightly different and it depended on which of the two schools. The school for my Sophomore and Junior years went:

A---5.0
B---4.0
C---2.0
D---1.0
F---0.0

Whereas, my senior year, it went:

A---4.2
B---3.2
C---2.0
D---1.0
F---0.0

That's why my GPA was over a 4.0 at the one school, but just below at the other. The added GPA was insufficient to make up for my B's and C's in 9th and 10th Grade Science classes and the occasional B elsewhere. It was also for that reason that I only took AP classes my Senior year if I was a mortal lock to ace them.

I started in Psychology my Junior year, but dropped the class within the first week. The first test, get this, was on remembering the names of five randomly selected people in the class---what the hell kind of test is that? Having miserably failed that test (40%, first and last names) I dropped that class and picked up Radio I and Radio II (second semester) instead.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
August 13th, 2021 at 6:02:06 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

This is really a stunning statistic. This is one out of 1000 in just a YEAR! A reasonable extrapolation has you having a 1% chance of being murdered as a Black man in Portland if you live there a decade. And these people are burning and looting their city because of a bad cop in Minnesota killing a guy. Imagine the ad campaign…. “Move to Chicago’s slums as they are safer than Portland’s slums!”
August 13th, 2021 at 7:29:14 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Portland doesn't have slums.

There used to be an exclusively black section but the white millennials have gentrified / reclaimed most of it, causing a diaspora of many of the blacks who once lived there.

Most blacks now live east of 82nd St., in east Porland / Gresham, mixed with whites and Hispanics.

I suspect many killings are over the newbies trying to establish their turf.

The reality seems to be that Portlanders, liberal to a fault, really don't much care about black on black crime, so long as it doesn't affect them: just like most white Americans.
August 13th, 2021 at 8:15:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

There used to be an exclusively black section but the white millennials have gentrified / reclaimed most of it,

Only in Ultra Lefty Libby cities does taking a slum area and cleaning it up and turning it into livable space looked at as a bad thing. Where I live it's called if you're too lazy to do it yourselves we'll do it for you.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 14th, 2021 at 12:14:28 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
It's a common scenario across the country, EB: young whites reclaiming black areas which are located close in to center city.

You may not see it where you live, but then you aren't a city slicker, are you?
August 14th, 2021 at 1:32:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's a common scenario across the country, EB: young whites reclaiming black areas which are located close in to center city.

I do not understand why it's considered so evil to take an area that is run down and make it a better place to live. It totally baffles me.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 14th, 2021 at 2:12:41 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Portland doesn't have slums.

There used to be an exclusively black section but the white millennials have gentrified / reclaimed most of it, causing a diaspora of many of the blacks who once lived there.

Most blacks now live east of 82nd St., in east Porland / Gresham, mixed with whites and Hispanics.

I suspect many killings are over the newbies trying to establish their turf.

The reality seems to be that Portlanders, liberal to a fault, really don't much care about black on black crime, so long as it doesn't affect them: just like most white Americans.
Back when MLK blvd. was still Grand ave. and Union ave. there were some rough places up that way. Up around Killingsworth or Deacum, iirc.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW