Is Portland over?

August 14th, 2021 at 3:21:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I do not understand why it's considered so evil to take an area that is run down and make it a better place to live. It totally baffles me.

In the 60s and 70s whites left, it was called "white flight" and whites who did it were called racists.

Since the 90s whites have trickled back. It is called "gentrification" and whites who do it are called racists.
The President is a fink.
August 14th, 2021 at 11:28:19 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: petroglyph
Back when MLK blvd. was still Grand ave. and Union ave. there were some rough places up that way. Up around Killingsworth or Deacum, iirc.

True 'dat, but they weren't what I'd call "slums."

To me, that term usually means row houses and / or tenements.

NE and N Ptld ghetto were mostly single story homes suffering benign neglect.

As for EB's comment: the only ones opposed to gentrification are those blacks who are forced to involuntarily relocate due to the fact that they failed in life; had they paid attention in school, put down the crack pipe and applied themselves they could have afforded to buy the home which was otherwise sold to more successful whites.
August 14th, 2021 at 11:40:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
True 'dat, but they weren't what I'd call "slums."

To me, that term usually means row houses and / or tenements.

That just depends on the construction used. Said construction was more used in the denser east not in newer, west coast cities.
The President is a fink.
August 14th, 2021 at 1:14:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-antifa-assault-families-and-children-at-christian-prayer-event-in-portland-park?utm_campaign=64471

Seems like Antifa is well funded and has plans on carrying out their agenda here in the USA.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 14th, 2021 at 2:33:48 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: AZDuffman
That just depends on the construction used. Said construction was more used in the denser east not in newer, west coast cities.

Compare Compton in LA to N Philadelphia, or Camden, NJ.

I consider a slum to have row houses / tenements; I consider a ghetto to be that, and also to encompass single family homes like in Compton.

Whatever, glad I'm not a poor black living in America: how hellish that would probably be.
August 14th, 2021 at 3:05:11 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

I consider a slum to have row houses / tenements; I consider a ghetto to be that, and also to encompass single family homes like in Compton.

Whatever, glad I'm not a poor black living in America: how hellish that would probably be.

Compared to what? A poor black living in Haiti, a Russian dissident living in jail, a starving child in numerous African countries ...... I expect half the population of the world would change places with most blacks living in the US.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 14th, 2021 at 3:30:41 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: petroglyph
https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-antifa-assault-families-and-children-at-christian-prayer-event-in-portland-park?utm_campaign=64471

Seems like Antifa is well funded and has plans on carrying out their agenda here in the USA.

The Christians and ‘ANTIFA’ should just line up sides and have an all out war. That would be terrible, tragic and heartbreaking.

Something about birds and stones, I think.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
August 14th, 2021 at 3:59:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Mission146
The Christians and ‘ANTIFA’ should just line up sides and have an all out war. That would be terrible, tragic and heartbreaking.

Something about birds and stones, I think.
It's getting to hard to find ammo.
August 14th, 2021 at 4:07:48 PM permalink
petroglyph

Thirty to 40% of Navajo living on the rez don't have running water or electricity. Avg. income is 7k per year.

I guess income has went up since I was out that way? They are up to over 10k per year. yippee https://livingwage.mit.edu/articles/71-nothing-new-under-the-sun-covid-19-brings-to-light-persistent-issues-in-the-navajo-nation
August 14th, 2021 at 10:05:47 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: kenarman
Compared to what?

Compared to being WHITE in America.

Duh.