Is Portland over?

September 10th, 2021 at 1:00:56 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
With people rioting and the homeless literally crapping on the sidewalks and shooting up in the public parks. You and I have different visions of Shangri-La.

Still lots of nice, good people in Portland: in fact most of us are okay and not causing trouble.

I'd still take stumptown, warts and all, over the cities I once lived in or near back east.

Nothing causes my spirits to soar quite like driving down the roads outside of downtown and admiring the beauty both near and far.

In fact here's a song about it; two of the three members of the group lived in Ptld at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhMZLX2Q274
September 10th, 2021 at 7:30:46 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
Still lots of nice, good people in Portland: in fact most of us are okay and not causing trouble.

I'd still take stumptown, warts and all, over the cities I once lived in or near back east.

Nothing causes my spirits to soar quite like driving down the roads outside of downtown and admiring the beauty both near and far.

In fact here's a song about it; two of the three members of the group lived in Ptld at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhMZLX2Q274

How is traffic?
Its horrible up here in Seattle
Parking is expensive downtown
I paid 18 bucks for all day
Do far did the space needle, chihuly garden and museum of flight.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 10th, 2021 at 7:57:22 PM permalink
missedhervee
Avoid I-5 during rush hour.

Parking isn't cheap, but it costs less than in Seattle, and is easier to find.

I suggest you visit and dine at McMenamins Edgefield: very unique, hippy-ish, fun place.

On your way south from Seattle be sure to take the exit near Castle Rock / Toutle onto SR 504 so you can travel to Johnson Ridge observatory and interpretive center to view the maw of Mt. St. Helens.

September 10th, 2021 at 9:16:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
How is traffic?
Its horrible up here in Seattle
Parking is expensive downtown
I paid 18 bucks for all day
Do far did the space needle, chihuly garden and museum of flight.

Can't you find somewhere cheap to park and ride your bike the rest of the way?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 10th, 2021 at 9:40:37 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
Can't you find somewhere cheap to park and ride your bike the rest of the way?

I parked about 8 blocks from the Needle
It was 26 bucks near the needle
As I was leaving, saw a couple pulling into the lot
Sold my parking ticket for 6 bucks
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 13th, 2021 at 8:41:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Portland Names Bridge After The Simpsons’ Ned Flanders to Promote Kindness in Crime-Ridden City

"The Simpsons" is set in Oregon but come on!
The President is a fink.
September 14th, 2021 at 8:39:59 AM permalink
terapined
Portland here I come
Actually sick of Seattle
Too many cars. Too many people. Not enough parking
Looking forward to visiting PDX
Have to imagine city restaurants having the same labor shortage I am seeing everywhere
September 14th, 2021 at 9:47:47 AM permalink
missedhervee
You'll see the damage done to the downtown core: inexcusable.

But there's still lots of things to do and buy (no sales tax).

Areas to check out for that Portlandia vibe include the gentrified former ghetto area in NE, e.g. around Mississippi and Alberta Streets; the Pearl in NW, and the old hippy / lesbian enclave on / near SE Hawthorne.

Of course there are lots of food carts; I enjoy the french fries from Potato Champion: see

https://www.potatochampion.com/

Take a trip to Mt. Hood; dine in the old lodge dining room, take a ski lift to the snow line:

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/mountain/summer-activities

When leaving Mt. Hood you could drive to Hood River to watch the wind surfing / kite surfing and the vibe in that town.

The Portland Art Museum is surprisingly interesting, and of course the zoo and OMSI are popular attractions as well.

For something a bit different, consider meditating at the Heart of Wisdom Zen Temple:

https://www.zendust.org/heart-of-wisdom-zen-temple/

I avoid them but some folks like Voodoo Donuts.

Once you're done with Portland you can head east on I-84, south on I-5, or west on Hwy 10 to Astoria or Hwy 26 to Seaside I suggest Hwy 10 to Astoria, an interesting coastal town, then drive south along the coast on Hwy 101.

If you go the coast road you might want to head south til you hit Florence where you can then head back east to Eugene, Oregon, if that's your cuppa joe.
September 15th, 2021 at 6:23:52 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
September 15th, 2021 at 6:35:11 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: petroglyph

Looks like Portland has hired some of the weakest people in law enforcement

"Law enforcement officials have been resigning en masse from their posts amid continued calls to defund the police and other law enforcement agencies.
'

What a bunch of wusses
Some people hold up a Defund the police sign and these wusses are so weak they are resigning
Whats going on
They seeing Defund the police posts on FB and they are traumatized
Cant go on with the job
Should have never been given the job
PDX needs to hire tough people and fire the wusses