Is Portland over?

July 13th, 2021 at 12:52:39 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Also, does it not occur to anyone that English, to a great extent, is a hybrid language that pulls words or parts of words from other languages?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 13th, 2021 at 1:10:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Also, does it not occur to anyone that English, to a great extent, is a hybrid language that pulls words or parts of words from other languages?

Doesn't matter, the point is English is the default language of the world. The internet has just made it more than ever. Any language can invent new words, but none has the cultural power of English. Mexico will convert to English before the USA goes Spanish.
The President is a fink.
July 13th, 2021 at 1:20:57 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Doesn't matter, the point is English is the default language of the world. The internet has just made it more than ever. Any language can invent new words, but none has the cultural power of English. Mexico will convert to English before the USA goes Spanish.

Yeah, I don’t know. What’s wrong with having two languages, again? Canada seems to do mostly fine.

Switzerland has four, but they’re showoffs.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 13th, 2021 at 2:00:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee

Wake up and smell the tostadas.

Name a country in the last hundred years that completely switched the native language to a completely different language. There isn't one. Even in Russia those small satellite countries that made up the Soviet Union kept the native languages even though they had Russian forced on them. The whole idea is ridiculous
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 13th, 2021 at 2:31:17 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Name a country in the last hundred years that completely switched the native language to a completely different language. There isn't one. Even in Russia those small satellite countries that made up the Soviet Union kept the native languages even though they had Russian forced on them. The whole idea is ridiculous

Malta last 100 years:

Italian
Italian + Maltese (Official)
Maltese + English (Official)

I’m inclined to go by declared official languages. In the last 100 years, several countries have added official languages. I don’t think either USA or Mexico has to worry about having a language completely replaced wholesale, though.
July 13th, 2021 at 3:13:55 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Crime was in a downward trend, now that appears broken and we will see it go back to 1970s levels. Simply because the policies that made crime go down are being abandoned.

That is speculative with no facts to indicate that will happen. The fact is the rate is down currently and appears to be steadily going down.

Globally has nothing to do with the decline of USA society or Western society.

It actually does because the globe is becoming Westernized, and Western Values are spreading. More countries have equality, more countries have social safety nets, more countries have easy access to birth control (and getting women the right to prevent pregnancies is known to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest methods to reduce poverty).

Calling it "female liberation" does not change things. And a news flash, lots of women wish it would be like it was when they could raise the kids at home. I stick to "show me a radical feminist and I will show you a miserable woman." Women are wired to have kids, when they don't their bodies tell them something is wrong. Hormones go out of balance. A big reason I stayed single is that women on the dating scene who do not want children are both rare and crazy.

Take a look at South Korea. TFR is down to almost 1.0, and the nation is filled with manic depressives.

It does though. Again preventing pregnancy and allowing women autonomy to control their reproduction is a great way to prevent poverty (some would argue the greatest). When you think of large families (I am talking insanely large like 15 plus kids), its not the developed world that comes to mind, its the undeveloped world, there is a reason for this.....

As far as women being wired to have kids, and saying all women who don't have kids have mental issues is just wrong. Some of the most successful women out there have zero kids (in some cases zero relationships) and focus on their career. This is praised when men do this, but when women do it, it suddenly becomes a major issue....

I am not a woman, and as far as I am concerned I have zero right to tell women that they need to have kids or more kids, etc..... Unless you are in a romantic/sexual relationship with a specific women, nobody has a right to say how many kids she should have, and even there your opinion is secondary.

As far as birth rates in South Korea and Japan, again that is up to the women there, however, they are overpopulated, so maybe its good that a generation is slowing the rate down. Yes I know this will cause problems in theory with the aging population ratio to young people, which some say may cause economic and cultural instability decades from now, I don't care, you can't force people to have kids (and countries that do force people to have kids are not somewhere you would probably want to live or even visit.....)

If a woman wants to be a housewife, great that is her choice, if she wants kids while still working, great that is her choice, if she wants no kids and even no relations, great that is her choice. The only wrong answer is men telling her how she should structure her life....

Western Values include equality and female liberation. The heart of Western Values is the freedom to live your own life without a bronze age book dictating how you and everyone in the country should live by force (again you are of course free to follow whatever philosophy you want on a personal level, but not legislate it)....
July 13th, 2021 at 4:26:00 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
English is the language of bankers.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 13th, 2021 at 4:48:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mission146
Malta last 100 years:

Nice try. The teeny tiny country of Malta did not replace their language they added to it. So what. It was suggested that Spanish was going to become the official language of the USA which is ludicrous. Malta that has less people than the state of Wyoming and they still kept their language. English will always be our official language. Do you know how many Spanish Americans can I speak Spanish? A huge number. Frank Sinatra's parents we're from Italy and Frank could not speak Italian. Unless you work at it it goes away after one generation.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 13th, 2021 at 5:06:31 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
The United States is the world's second largest Spanish-speaking country after Mexico. Biden is trying to make us number one.
July 13th, 2021 at 5:21:29 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Nice try. The teeny tiny country of Malta did not replace their language they added to it. So what. It was suggested that Spanish was going to become the official language of the USA which is ludicrous. Malta that has less people than the state of Wyoming and they still kept their language. English will always be our official language. Do you know how many Spanish Americans can I speak Spanish? A huge number. Frank Sinatra's parents we're from Italy and Frank could not speak Italian. Unless you work at it it goes away after one generation.

Italian was the official language 100 years ago and that is no longer the case. During that time, Maltese was added as official and then Italian replaced with English as a second official language.

I agreed with you that English will not be wholesale replaced by Spanish, in case you hadn’t noticed.

I must have missed the part in your challenge where you qualified that I had to name a country of a certain population size in the last 100 years. I thought the challenge was just to name a single country.