Biden's Biggest Blunder

August 14th, 2021 at 5:17:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Tanko
We overthrew the Saddam regime and now Iran dominates the country. That really worked out well, as always. Put in in the loss column.

I don't hear anything from Iraq or Libya. That's fine with me. Don't hear anything from Vietnam either.

If our failures go quiet, that's something.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 14th, 2021 at 5:25:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
We overthrew the Saddam regime and now Iran dominates the country. That really worked out well, as always. Put in in the loss column.

I don't hear anything from Iraq or Libya. That's fine with me. Don't hear anything from Vietnam either.

Because South Vietnam ceased to exist just 3 years after we left.

Kabul signing off.........
The President is a fink.
August 14th, 2021 at 5:35:42 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman

Because South Vietnam ceased to exist just 3 years after we left.

Kabul signing off.........

Do people want "peace" or do they want to save the world? Because they're not always the same thing.

Although I'm for saving the world, using war as a tool is not the greatest option, IMO> At least use it as little as possible.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 14th, 2021 at 5:38:17 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Don't hear anything from Vietnam either.

U.S. corporations are building factories in communist Vietnam. They are a trading partner and vacation destination.

If there's money to be made, we'll be trading and outsourcing with the Taliban in a few years.
August 14th, 2021 at 5:49:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman

Do people want "peace" or do they want to save the world? Because they're not always the same thing.

Although I'm for saving the world, using war as a tool is not the greatest option, IMO> At least use it as little as possible.

Save the world from what, exactly?

Peace is unusual. When we leave Kabul our embassy will be looted and then there will be "peace" in Afghanistan.

Lets just hope it is not long before the Chinese decide to take a crack at invading.
The President is a fink.
August 14th, 2021 at 6:27:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
Save the world from what, exactly?

Peace is unusual. When we leave Kabul our embassy will be looted and then there will be "peace" in Afghanistan.

Lets just hope it is not long before the Chinese decide to take a crack at invading.

From what? I don't know, people like Hitler and other tyrants and crazies. Stalin, Mao, Pol pot. etc., bin Laden. Idi Amin. Ghengis Khan
August 14th, 2021 at 6:42:21 AM permalink
rxwine
...and the Spanish Inquisition!
August 14th, 2021 at 6:57:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
...and the Spanish Inquisition!

That was not as bad as when the Moops invaded.
The President is a fink.
August 14th, 2021 at 11:34:35 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Like the VC / NVA, the Taliban engaged us in guerilla warfare, a type of battle we cannot and will not win.

It was foolish to stay in Afghanistan as long as we did; it only feathered the nest of the military / industrial complex.

While we were there poppies continued to be grown as before; if we couldn't stop the heroin trade, how then could we expect to stop the Taliban?
August 14th, 2021 at 11:49:39 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: missedhervee
Like the VC / NVA, the Taliban engaged us in guerilla warfare, a type of battle we cannot and will not win.

It was foolish to stay in Afghanistan as long as we did; it only feathered the nest of the military / industrial complex.

While we were there poppies continued to be grown as before; if we couldn't stop the heroin trade, how then could we expect to stop the Taliban?

It had nothing to do with poppies. The US was baited with 9/11 and thought they had to get revenge and show the world what would happen when you dissed the US. Trillions of dollars later and I am not sure the lesson was learned by the rest of the world. We are now back to one of my favorite lines from the Vietnam war "the US has to start acting less like Romans and more like Italians"
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin