Biden's Biggest Blunder

September 18th, 2021 at 8:09:48 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Honestly, I think Romney circa 2012 would have had a really great shot against either H. Clinton or Biden had he run in either of those elections instead...and not lost to Obama in the first place, of course. Of course, that just speaks to your point about a likable (enough, anyway) Moderate Republican. There's no doubt in my mind that he would have mopped the floor with Hillary Clinton. I think he'd have taken the Popular Vote slightly AND the Electoral College would have been a one-sided massacre.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 18th, 2021 at 8:42:10 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
Honestly, I think Romney circa 2012 would have had a really great shot against either H. Clinton or Biden had he run in either of those elections instead...and not lost to Obama in the first place, of course. Of course, that just speaks to your point about a likable (enough, anyway) Moderate Republican. There's no doubt in my mind that he would have mopped the floor with Hillary Clinton. I think he'd have taken the Popular Vote slightly AND the Electoral College would have been a one-sided massacre.

I tend to agree, the one thing Romney has against him (at least from a conservative lenses) is being a Mormon.

Which I don't view as a negative (well no more than any other religion), in fact probably preferable to certain branches of Christians.... but I can see some evangelicals not being as supportive of a Mormon (who they don't view as a true Christian), which could cost him to lose the blind support of some of the base.

I think Romney is reasonable, I could even see myself voting for him over certain Democrats (not Obama, Obama was just a perfect candidate even if you disagree with him he is so likable). The fact that he was a relatively popular (or at least not hated) Republican Governor in a very liberal state should speak to this if nothing else.

Bush is another good example (especially prior to the wars which is really what caused most of his haters), but he was moderate and likable, and until after 9/11 (really not until Iraq started) not very controversial (other than election conspiracies in Florida I guess, but that was more so during the campaign).

Really I think Obama and Bush are both extremely likable, even if you disagree with them, they both seem like genuine people who could have a conversation with just about anyone and would fit in perfectly at any local bar (yes I know Bush gave up alcohol some years ago, just a metaphor).

I even think Jeb Bush seems like a good guy and if it were not for Trump, he likely would have been President (at least once).

I am not somebody who is against voting for Republicans 100% of the time. Though generally at a State and Local level if they are better qualified (and/or I personally like them). A bad example of this backfiring is I voted for Kemp in the most recent GA (Governor) election because I thought he did well as Secretary of State and was better qualified than Abrams (who I think was a terrible candidate and had nothing going for her other than having the potential to be the first female Governor, which is zero reason to support somebody), but then after winning he went crazy on social issues (abortion and sexual rights), and he just turned into another social conservative (I don't know if Abrams would have been a great Governor, but she would not have done that). I can't say I made the wrong choice (because I don't think the Democrat candidate was good), but his regressive social policies made me regret supporting him.

I am usually caught in a bind, because Republicans I tend to like for police and military issues (Trump would be an easy exception to this rule as he was terrible), and Democrats I tend to like on social issues, so I am usually disappointed in one field regardless of who wins.

In any case I think I went way off topic from your point, so I will just summarize as yes I agree that likability is very important, at least to me (though maybe less so in some circles, as for the life of me I cannot see how anyone can genuinely love Trump even if you agree with 100% of his policies).... If somebody is likable that means that they are generally at least willing to hear people who disagree with them (Obama and Bush are great examples of this) which I think is a positive attribute.
September 18th, 2021 at 9:02:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

Even most moderate Republicans are swaying away from this crowd (though to be fair if he runs as an R, I would concede many would still vote for him in the general election if their only choice are Trump and Biden or whoever the D ends up being). With so many States flipping to blue or at least becoming purple, for a Republican to win, you would need a really solid and likable moderate candidate that can pull from both parties (and Trump is the opposite of that).

I think the people at the Trump rall

Know what moderate Republicans do well? They lose elections very well. They are generally electoral whores who have no beliefs but just hope to win.
The President is a fink.
September 18th, 2021 at 9:09:17 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Know what moderate Republicans do well? They lose elections very well.

I would not call Donny a “moderate.”
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 18th, 2021 at 6:06:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
These are great and there's a never-ending supply of material, every time Beijing Joe opens his mouth you get a gaff video out of it. This stuff is totally ignored by the media. Biden cannot even read coherently anymore let alone produce original thoughts. This has got to be extremely distressing to people who have to deal with him all day long because they know first-hand that he's totally off the rails.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 19th, 2021 at 8:20:43 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: Evenbob
These are great and there's a never-ending supply of material, every time Beijing Joe opens his mouth you get a gaff video out of it. This stuff is totally ignored by the media.

How much time do you guys spend wringing your hands over what the media does and does not cover?
September 19th, 2021 at 9:34:28 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
How much time do you guys spend wringing your hands over what the media does and does not cover?

I dont understand it
Fox and newsmax are all over the stories conservatives deem important
That aint good enough????????????????
weird
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 19th, 2021 at 1:37:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"Val Verde County Sheriff Joe Frank Martinez says the Biden administration is not testing any of the nearly 15,000 migrants being held in a makeshift border camp for COVID or anything else. He said they are alone at the border dealing with a national issue."

And where is Beijing Joe during this out of control
National Emergency? He's on vacation at the beach,
of course. It's the same Hidin Joe Biden we saw all
during the campaign and all during his vice presidency.
It's what crooks and thieves do, they hide from the light.
What a man, what a leader. Of course he had to steal the
election nobody would vote this jackass dog catcher let
alone president. My favorite rally of his was the one he
had at a drive-in movie, maybe 30 cars showed up.
Breathtaking support, no wonder he won, LOLOL
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 19th, 2021 at 3:16:57 PM permalink
ams288
Of course he had to steal the
alone president.

Correct. No one voted FOR Biden. We all voted AGAINST Donny.

Next time don’t nominate a guy who so many people despise with a fiery passion - you might not have to spend the four years after pretending the election was stolen from them...
September 19th, 2021 at 3:31:32 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
"Val Verde County Sheriff Joe Frank Martinez says the Biden administration is not testing any of the nearly 15,000 migrants being held in a makeshift border camp for COVID or anything else. He said they are alone at the border dealing with a national issue."

And where is Beijing Joe during this out of control
National Emergency? He's on vacation at the beach,
of course. It's the same Hidin Joe Biden we saw all
during the campaign and all during his vice presidency.
It's what crooks and thieves do, they hide from the light.
What a man, what a leader. Of course he had to steal the
alone president. My favorite rally of his was the one he
had at a drive-in movie, maybe 30 cars showed up.
Breathtaking support, no wonder he won, LOLOL

Did Trump have COVID testing in temporary detention camps?