Biden's Biggest Blunder

August 16th, 2021 at 4:43:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

American Muslims are not a problem, compared to Asia, and even Europe they are very socially progressive.

What you are missing is that islam itself is extremist. Your statement is like saying the communists in East Germany were not radical compared to the USSR. I met a woman who has a mafia-style open contract out on her from muslims in the USA because she dares point out how many people have been persecuted and killed because of islam.

If it were pre-1950 when we took Afghanistan we would have brought in missionaries to try to de-islam the place. Maybe China will end up doing so.
The President is a fink.
August 16th, 2021 at 4:50:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Protecting Muslims is different than protecting Islam. Muslims are often the main victim of Islam. Also Islamism is different than both (its a political ideology).

American Muslims are not a problem, compared to Asia, and even Europe they are very socially progressive.

I am all for freedom of religion (which only a secular country such as the U.S.) can provide. But, I also support free speech (which is the same amendment), and I have a right to mock religious extremists whether than be the American Evangelics or Islamists.

There are some really nice scientologists. But, they belong to and support and organization that empirically causes harm to the world.

A lot of good points
Just checked Wikipedia
They consider about 25% of the planet follows Islam which itself is incredibly diverse just as most religions
Just to clarify my scientology views
I simply want them exposed and taxed
Thats all
If somebody wants to join, who am I to deny somebody's freedom.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 16th, 2021 at 5:09:41 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
What you are missing is that islam itself is extremist. Your statement is like saying the communists in East Germany were not radical compared to the USSR. I met a woman who has a mafia-style open contract out on her from muslims in the USA because she dares point out how many people have been persecuted and killed because of islam.

If it were pre-1950 when we took Afghanistan we would have brought in missionaries to try to de-islam the place. Maybe China will end up doing so.

I really am not, I am extremely aware of the dangers of Islam.

However, the (in my view) most dangerous aspect is that people take it seriously. Meaning people want to live by their views (unlike many others religions who view their books and stories as allegorical or such). Not just this, many countries (theocracies) are based on Islam.

Sadly, your friends experience is not an anomaly. Its routine, all over the world. A famous case that anyone can publicly look up is Salmon Rushdie in the 1980s.

Quote: terapined
A lot of good points
Just checked Wikipedia
They consider about 25% of the planet follows Islam which itself is incredibly diverse just as most religions
Just to clarify my scientology views
I simply want them exposed and taxed
Thats all
If somebody wants to join, who am I to deny somebody's freedom.

I think all religion should be taxed.

Islam is huge (its also the fastest growing religion). Its also a religion that is difficult to leave (by difficult I mean they will literally kill you for even attempting).

However, as above, there are generalizations that need to be made, we can look at Pew polls for views in some Islamic countries (at least where such polls are still allowed) to gauge the overall view on specific issues (such as apostasy and homosexuality), the results are not reassuring.

If the majority of Muslims in an Islamic country (70+ %) want homosexuality to be criminalized (not even getting into more stringent penalties), and the government of that country has outlawed homosexuality, its fair to say Islam is against homosexuality. As mentioned above, its a religion that many people take seriously (unlike the majority of Christians) and think that life should be lived in accordance with Islam.

There is diverse opinion, but not on any matter than is covered by the Koran.....
August 16th, 2021 at 5:57:50 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Any religion which co-opts and controls the government should be squelched.

That is what the Taliban, i.e. radical Islam, does: there can be no long term peace or accommodation with religious zealots who use military might to force others to accept their belief and social system.

Let the strongest prevail.
August 16th, 2021 at 8:59:39 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: missedhervee
Any religion which co-opts and controls the government should be squelched
such as Israel?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 17th, 2021 at 12:00:31 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Not quite, but similar.

Israel does not require you be Jewish to live there; no doubt many Christian or atheist ex-pats live there.

The Taliban will not tolerate infidels to live among them.

The big difference is that the Jews are happy to keep their faith to themselves, whereas the Taliban wants the world to ultimately believe the way they do.
August 17th, 2021 at 4:49:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

However, as above, there are generalizations that need to be made, we can look at Pew polls for views in some Islamic countries (at least where such polls are still allowed) to gauge the overall view on specific issues (such as apostasy and homosexuality), the results are not reassuring.

If the majority of Muslims in an Islamic country (70+ %) want homosexuality to be criminalized (not even getting into more stringent penalties), and the government of that country has outlawed homosexuality, its fair to say Islam is against homosexuality. As mentioned above, its a religion that many people take seriously (unlike the majority of Christians) and think that life should be lived in accordance with Islam.

Islam makes no bones about homosexuality being prohibited, why are you even trying to draw a logic tree of it? But that is the least of its radical dangers. It has other radical ideas we should be far more concerned about.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2021 at 5:35:58 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: missedhervee
Not quite, but similar.

Israel does not require you be Jewish to live there; no doubt many Christian or atheist ex-pats live there.

Do you have the same rights?
I read a crazy story where an Israeli gold medal winner wanted to get married, they have to leave the country
WTF
August 17th, 2021 at 6:05:19 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: terapined
Do you have the same rights?
I read a crazy story where an Israeli gold medal winner wanted to get married, they have to leave the country
WTF

http://www.jewishledger.com/2021/08/israeli-gold-medalist-artem-dolgopyat-cant-get-married-at-home/
August 17th, 2021 at 9:01:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Jack Keane calls it on June 25th

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]