Deadpool 2022

September 8th, 2022 at 12:56:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: OnceDear
I have to agree. Expect to see some very surreal pomp and ceremony as we mourn Her Majesty and as we go on to Crown King Charles. We will make a far bigger deal of the Queens death than we will of Charles's coronation.

In Royal circles here, the UK Royal family are jocularly referred to as 'The Firm'. It a very long lived and established 'Establishment'

If anyone is interested in what will change under the reign of King Charles.... Extremely little. He has occasionally spouted somewhat political ideas. You can expect that to stop. He will work to a multi-generational protocol.

He is in his 70s so I would not expect anything other than a transitional reign.
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2022 at 1:17:00 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
He is in his 70s so I would not expect anything other than a transitional reign.

As one of the few on this forum with personal memories of her coronation (live on radio) I find it a day for thoughts of the future and what changes it might bring to Canada, Britain and the Commonwealth.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 8th, 2022 at 1:35:06 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Honestly, the puff piece that CBS aired on her life today when they cut into programming to announce she had died taught me more than I ever knew about her and gave me more respect for her.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 8th, 2022 at 2:28:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I feel like the Queen is the grandmother I never had. Her passing is hitting me hard for someone I never met.

To all her royal subjects on the forum, I express my sympathy.

It will not be easy to get used to saying "King Charles."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 8th, 2022 at 3:04:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard

King Edward VII (9 November 1841 – 6 May 1910) succeeded his mother Victoria at age 59 and passed away at age 68). King Charles is already age 73.

His son is now, Prince William, Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge and his wife is Catherine, Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge.

As Cornwall is the senior title, it is the one that they should use. I suspect they won't because Duchess of Cornwall is so deeply linked to Camilla. William will probably undergo the ceremony to make him Prince of Wales within a year. That title does not transfer automatically.

In theory Charles and Camilla should move out of Clarence House and into Buckingham Palace, but I doubt very much they will do that.

I feel like the Queen is the grandmother I never had. Her passing is hitting me hard for someone I never met.

Possibly the most beloved "head of state" in the world. President George Bush also said she was like a grandmother.
September 8th, 2022 at 3:19:50 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Too soon?

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 8th, 2022 at 3:37:48 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I hope that absurd institution dies with her
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 8th, 2022 at 4:15:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
I hope that absurd institution dies with her

Do you mean all Seven European kingdoms? Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, and the United Kingdom.

Or do you mean the fourteen Realms which Charles now rules?
1.Australia
2.Antigua and Barbuda
3.Bahamas
4.Belize
5.Canada
6.Grenada
7.Jamaica
8.New Zealand
9.Papua New Guinea
10.Saint Kitts and Nevis
11.Saint Lucia
12.Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
13.Solomon Islands
14.Tuvalu

There is a good chance that Australia will become a Republic.
September 8th, 2022 at 4:36:37 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11

To all her royal subjects on the forum, I express my sympathy.

Every time I hear Prince Charles, I'll recall the cute little King Charles Spaniel that jumped out in front of my car and left a dent in the floorpan.

It survived, but suffered a nasty partial scalping.
September 8th, 2022 at 4:39:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
In theory Charles and Camilla should move out of Clarence House and into Buckingham Palace, but I doubt very much they will do that.

There was a scene in The Crown, where the Queen, just after her father's death, was made to move out of wherever she lived to Buckingham Palace, against her desire. Did she live at Clarence House at the time she suddenly became Queen?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber