January 6 redux

January 21st, 2022 at 5:17:55 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
I discuss a wide variety of subjects here. I am not like the Trump haters who only discuss how much they hate Trump.

Jan 6 is over, get on with your life. Or just get one. Nobody but the liberals still care about it.

I could certainly understand why your side wouldn't want continued attention drawn to it. You could always just take the tactic that some Trumpies do and deny that there was even so much as a single legitimate Trump supporter involved. I saw an interview where a lady said, "Democrats, all of them," without hyperbole! Trump should give her minister/pastor/preacher...whoever is responsible for her brainwashing...a bonus!
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 21st, 2022 at 6:38:46 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Mission146
I could certainly understand why your side wouldn't want continued attention drawn to it. You could always just take the tactic that some Trumpies do and deny that there was even so much as a single legitimate Trump supporter involved. I saw an interview where a lady said, "Democrats, all of them," without hyperbole! Trump should give her minister/pastor/preacher...whoever is responsible for her brainwashing...a bonus!

I personally don't care how long the investigation into 1/6 goes or who ends up implicated. The problem I have is that Speaker Pelosi impaneled an improper group to do the investigation based on precedent going back years and years. That means the results will be less legitimate overall because the entirety of the incident will not be examined. That doesn't mean I am against the prosecutions; let the court cases continue in a more timely fashion. The illegitimate panel means that root causes will be missed and the entire result will be partisan and not a look into what happened and how to actually prevent it in the future.

If the FBI was not involved, why not go to the secure facility with a real committee and put it to rest? If Pelosi did not react too slowly, do the same. Are we afraid of some answers and not others?

Why aren't Dems asking for a proper investigation?

They simply don't want some stones overturned. even if those stones don't implicate them in anything other than a slow response and not enough water hoses put to use...
January 21st, 2022 at 9:13:35 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
I personally don't care how long the investigation into 1/6 goes or who ends up implicated. The problem I have is that Speaker Pelosi impaneled an improper group to do the investigation based on precedent going back years and years. That means the results will be less legitimate overall because the entirety of the incident will not be examined. That doesn't mean I am against the prosecutions; let the court cases continue in a more timely fashion. The illegitimate panel means that root causes will be missed and the entire result will be partisan and not a look into what happened and how to actually prevent it in the future.

If the FBI was not involved, why not go to the secure facility with a real committee and put it to rest? If Pelosi did not react too slowly, do the same. Are we afraid of some answers and not others?

Why aren't Dems asking for a proper investigation?

They simply don't want some stones overturned. even if those stones don't implicate them in anything other than a slow response and not enough water hoses put to use...

Liz Cheney is on the committee
You can't have Trumpers on the committee investigating Trumper
I was fine with Benghazi investigation just as I am Jan 6
How can you be for one and not the other
Hypocrisy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 21st, 2022 at 9:31:31 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: terapined
Hypocrisy

There is no "hypocrisy"--that is just a stupid idea.

One investigation followed precedent by allowing the Speaker and Ranking Member to place people on the committee:

"Speaker Boehner named the six remaining members of the Select Committee on the Events Surrounding the 2012 Terrorist Attack in Benghazi on May 9, 2014. Trey Gowdy had been announced as chair earlier, the 49-year-old, former 16-year federal prosecutor being well-regarded among House conservatives. Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat from California, announced on May 21, 2014, she was naming five members of her caucus to serve on the panel, with Elijah Cummings of Maryland the ranking member."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Select_Committee_on_Benghazi

The 1/6 Committee should have been chosen in the same method. Instead, the Speaker chose to do all the selecting.

What difference would it make if so-called "Trumper" were part of a minority on the committee? Perhaps that the minority response could be written differently, but not the actual report of the committee because there would be a Democrat majority no matter what.

The selection of the committee in this manner assures an incomplete investigation. I am not saying that it will be totally biased; that remains to be seen based on what is presented to them and the conclusions presented. They could come up with lots of legitimate stuff. The problem is that the uncomfortable things for the Democrats--the response, what Speaker Pelosi did or did not do in a timely manner, what was ignored, etc.--gets swept under the table. In a fairly selected committee, those items would all be in play.

It does not change the fact that 1/6 should not have happened and that people have been, and more will be, held accountable for criminal conduct. That isn't the point. Those are matters for the DOJ and local government to handle. The committee is supposed to go through the whole thing.

They won't do that.

The two investigations are not the same.
January 21st, 2022 at 9:46:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
Hypocrisy

I guess the Senate is not required to recuse members that are possibly part of what they are investigating, but it is obviously a good standard used in all types of investigations.

Guess Ron doesn't think it has merit.

Should Hillary have been sitting on any of the committees investigating her? Pretty funny idea for an investigation.

edit, House not Senate.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 21st, 2022 at 10:11:42 AM permalink
rxwine
I'm gonna laugh if Guiliani ends up in prison. What an idiot.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 21st, 2022 at 11:06:09 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: rxwine
I'm gonna laugh if Guiliani ends up in prison. What an idiot.

Maybe he'll go back to Ukraine and offer his services to stop the fake war?
January 21st, 2022 at 12:13:50 PM permalink
RonC
I guess the Senate is not required to recuse members that are possibly part of what they are investigating, but it is obviously a good standard used in all types of investigations.

Guess Ron doesn't think it has merit.

Should Hillary have been sitting on any of the committees investigating her? Pretty funny idea for an investigation.

edit, House not Senate.

You are making an excuse for what might have happened unless you can provide proof Speaker Pelosi said you can include anyone but those who could be implicated.

She only picked people who were openly against Trump, not ones who were among the hundred or more who are not subjects of the investigation.

She is hiding something that serious investigation would bring up. It would not change the facts of someone is implicated; there is dirty laundry that she knows would come out.

Yes, some of those who are fighting going before the committee may also have laundry not related to the incident they do not want out. Or, well, they might have done something wrong. Not all dirty laundry is criminal, of course…but it can still cause problems.
January 21st, 2022 at 12:58:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC
You are making an excuse for what might have happened unless you can provide proof Speaker Pelosi said you can include anyone but those who could be implicated.

She only picked people who were openly against Trump, not ones who were among the hundred or more who are not subjects of the investigation.

She is hiding something that serious investigation would bring up. It would not change the facts of someone is implicated; there is dirty laundry that she knows would come out.

Yes, some of those who are fighting going before the committee may also have laundry not related to the incident they do not want out. Or, well, they might have done something wrong. Not all dirty laundry is criminal, of course…but it can still cause problems.

I doubt if Pelosi has anything related to a felony or helping overturn an election concerning Jan 6. Willing to bet on it?
January 21st, 2022 at 1:28:43 PM permalink
RonC
I doubt if Pelosi has anything related to a felony or helping overturn an election concerning Jan 6. Willing to bet on it?

Who said they I thought she did something illegal?

These investigations are meant to look into the entirety of the event, including things that went wrong.

She does not want anyone to look into her actions or inactions.

She does not want anyone to check into any FBI involvement.

More than two hundred Republican members and she found two that would help do her bidding without questioning other things.

She is not a criminal but she is hiding things…