Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
I've protested in DC
There is a protest every single day in DC
Some big, some small, every single day
Everybody knows over 200 years of protests in DC
You don't attack the capitol
Its not like any other building. That's absurd.

Do people not congregate in it in order to do the things relevant to their jobs? Would Congress and the structure of American Government totally cease to exist if something were to befall the Capitol? Would the House and Senate not just convene elsewhere?

It's just a building. That said, doesn't change that you give those in there illegally something like twenty minutes to get out of there and then indiscriminately kill whoever is left that's not supposed to be in there, but the building itself is just a building. To call the Capitol Building, "Sacred," is to turn the state into a god, and I don't believe in gods, except for Tom Brady, of course.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 20th, 2022 at 4:17:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146

It's just a building.

Fine
Are you seriously an American???????????
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 20th, 2022 at 4:51:02 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
Fine
Are you seriously an American???????????

No, I'm a Neptunian. I'm here on an extended VISA; can't go back to my home planet because they haven't had Covid yet.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 20th, 2022 at 5:14:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Do people not congregate in it in order to do the things relevant to their jobs? Would Congress and the structure of American Government totally cease to exist if something were to befall the Capitol? Would the House and Senate not just convene elsewhere?

It's just a building. That said, doesn't change that you give those in there illegally something like twenty minutes to get out of there and then indiscriminately kill whoever is left that's not supposed to be in there, but the building itself is just a building. To call the Capitol Building, "Sacred," is to turn the state into a god, and I don't believe in gods, except for Tom Brady, of course.

Here is what is funny. The people who say "it's just a knee" to the NFL National Anthem protests get all bent out of shape when you say "it's just a building."
The President is a fink.
January 20th, 2022 at 5:24:55 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman

Here is what is funny. The people who say "it's just a knee" to the NFL National Anthem protests get all bent out of shape when you say "it's just a building."

Duffman’s false equivalences are getting flimsier and flimsier.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 20th, 2022 at 6:11:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
"Sacred line," you act like they were burning infants on the cross, or something. Everyone already knows my answer for what to do when peaceful public protest crosses the line into looting and destruction, so I'm consistent.

The best part about giving an adequate amount of time to disperse before gunning down all of those who refuse to do so is not having to have conversations about, "Sacred lines," over a year later. There's nothing, "Sacred," about anything, unless symbolism really means that much to you. Physically, it's a building like any other.

Well, I see the efficiency of it, there's so many things that could go wrong. I could see 10 times the protestors showing up within a few days for instance if you have dozens or more dead bodies lying all around the capital. Demands to put a bunch of police on trial.

That is, if things go mostly right. Sure, we've got people on the right who agree with that, but I'm not so sure they would stay with that view if there appeared to be enough of a massacre. Am I saying they might not be reliable once they saw that happen to their side --- yeah, that's what I'm saying.

What to do instead?? I'd say about 30 firehoses and knocking people down with water blasts might be a start.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 20th, 2022 at 6:40:10 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Well, I see the efficiency of it, there's so many things that could go wrong. I could see 10 times the protestors showing up within a few days for instance if you have dozens or more dead bodies lying all around the capital. Demands to put a bunch of police on trial.

That is, if things go mostly right. Sure, we've got people on the right who agree with that, but I'm not so sure they would stay with that view if there appeared to be enough of a massacre. Am I saying they might not be reliable once they saw that happen to their side --- yeah, that's what I'm saying.

What to do instead?? I'd say about 30 firehoses and knocking people down with water blasts might be a start.

Ten times the number of protesters who maintain, without evidence, that the election was stolen? Good, bring ten times the amount of protesters as well as ten times the amount of police and get the army involved to boot. They can keep coming, keep getting out of line and keep refusing to disperse until the pile of bodies grows large enough to be a sufficiently effective object lesson.

I mean, you've got people throwing around, "Sacred." If we don't do anything to remedy the problem when we are supposedly dealing with protecting something sacred, then when do we do something about the problem? Judging from the looting and riots that also occurred in several cities, it looks like never. We're just going to let people do that anytime they want to?

We're sitting here talking about whether those who committed illegal acts at the Capitol Building should be tried, no, they should be dead.

I mean, I tend to be big on freedoms, but even with that, I know it takes more than a loose social contract to maintain a society.
January 20th, 2022 at 6:41:56 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

It is "just" a building. The important thing about 1/6 is what was the intent of some people (Oath Keepers, for example) and the intent of others. If it was an organized attempt to disrupt government, charge as such. If others did not have that intention but got in over their heads and committed more minor crimes, charge and punish.

The FBI and any other agency or person involved in the event or the response--including the Speaker--need to answer questions of both Democrats and Republicans (not the ones named by Nancy; ones chosen traditionally by the Minority Leader). If there are security issues involved, due it in the secure facility. The country deserves that, not just the witch hunt Pelosi convened with her puppets.

If it leads to Trump in a provable fashion, so be it.

It is also "just" a building, but a less severe incursion, if the BLM or Antifa protesters harmed people or buildings belonging to others, they should be so charged.

Both are not the same but they are both things that should incur prosecutions.
January 20th, 2022 at 6:46:31 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
We're sitting here talking about whether those who committed illegal acts at the Capitol Building should be tried, no, they should be dead.

Don't we have large groups upset about the police on rare occasions acting as "judge, jury, and executioner" (it upsets me, too, when it actually happens).

It sounds like you support that in the right circumstances.

The police need to control and arrest. Let the prosecutors sort out their work and go to court.
January 20th, 2022 at 6:50:00 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: RonC
It is "just" a building. The important thing about 1/6 is what was the intent of some people (Oath Keepers, for example) and the intent of others. If it was an organized attempt to disrupt government, charge as such. If others did not have that intention but got in over their heads and committed more minor crimes, charge and punish.

Well, yeah, or you can just give them twenty minutes to get out of the Capitol, kill the ones who don't and there's nothing to charge the others with. The Constitution allows for peaceful public protest as part of the political process, so once you start breaking any laws, it should immediately be considered an act of treason.

Quote:
The FBI and any other agency or person involved in the event or the response--including the Speaker--need to answer questions of both Democrats and Republicans (not the ones named by Nancy; ones chosen traditionally by the Minority Leader). If there are security issues involved, due it in the secure facility. The country deserves that, not just the witch hunt Pelosi convened with her puppets.

If it leads to Trump in a provable fashion, so be it.

It is also "just" a building, but a less severe incursion, if the BLM or Antifa protesters harmed people or buildings belonging to others, they should be so charged.

Both are not the same but they are both things that should incur prosecutions.

What the country deserves is not to have to deal with this BS for a year because all of the people committing illegal acts under the guise of protest (the ones who dispersed when ordered aside) are dead.