The Biden Presidency 2022

August 11th, 2022 at 11:58:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO

I can’t know for sure exactly what will happen, but if Medicare is paying $100 for a drug now, and decides that from now on it is paying $50, what will the drug company be able to do? Say ‘no’ to Medicare? The first company that refuses to sell its drugs to Medicare is in for the public relations nightmare of their existence. The federal government buys gas, as an example. Does the federal government set the price it will pay for the gas? For the paper it uses? For the cars it buys? Imagine if it called Ford and said we are buying F-150’s and are paying $25k each. No negotiation. It’s half of your total sales. And you have no real choice.

i believe this is the issue as far as drugs

Quote:
Prescription drug prices in the U.S. are more than 250% times higher overall than those in 32 other countries, according to a new report from the RAND Corporation.

The gap between prices was even higher for brand-name drugs, with U.S. prices 3.44 times more than those in the other countries. Meanwhile, prices for generic drugs are slightly lower in the U.S. than in most other countries. Unbranded generic drugs account for 84% of drugs sold in the U.S. by volume, the researchers found, but only 12% of U.S. spending.

“The vast majority of prescription drugs [in the U.S.] are for generic, and there, the U.S. does pretty well,” says Andrew Mulcahy, PhD, a senior policy researcher at RAND and the lead author of the report. “But for brand-name drugs, we pay much higher.

This here sentence is an eye opener "Unbranded generic drugs account for 84% of drugs sold in the U.S. by volume, the researchers found, but only 12% of U.S. spending.
So we spend 88% of our money on only 12% of all the drugs we use.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 11th, 2022 at 12:02:49 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: SOOPOO
Every now and then you know more about an issue than the others on a forum, and have to read through a bunch of well intentioned but just plain wrong posts. This is a perfect example. Medicare does not negotiate fees that doctors get from them, they SET the fee they will pay doctors. An example from the last few years of my practice…. I’d get around $1000 for anesthesia for a total knee replacement from each of the three major local insurance companies. One might have been $940, the other $970, the last $1010. These prices were a result of me negotiating with each company separately. Medicare set my rate, no negotiating, no real ability to refuse to accept Medicare, at around $300. Other than refusing to treat Medicare patients (good luck trying that) you had NO CHOICE. if you can’t figure out that private insurance was subsidizing Medicare BIG TIME then I can’t help you.

I can’t know for sure exactly what will happen, but if Medicare is paying $100 for a drug now, and decides that from now on it is paying $50, what will the drug company be able to do? Say ‘no’ to Medicare? The first company that refuses to sell its drugs to Medicare is in for the public relations nightmare of their existence. The federal government buys gas, as an example. Does the federal government set the price it will pay for the gas? For the paper it uses? For the cars it buys? Imagine if it called Ford and said we are buying F-150’s and are paying $25k each. No negotiation. It’s half of your total sales. And you have no real choice.

As I read the bill, Pharma could not refuse to sell the drug to Medicare.
They would have to stop selling it altogether or face excise tax/penalties.
It's socialized medicine, you either believe in it or you don't.
As an American, single payor socialized medicine is one more attempted export from Canada I choose not to accept.
Canadians are now famous for their socialized medicine, crack down on free speech, & taking firearms away from their citizens.
That is not an America that is going to survive. But the voting booth will put a stop to all of it.
That and that 6-3 SCOTUS, LMAO.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
August 12th, 2022 at 9:12:54 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
i believe this is the issue as far as drugs

Quote:
Prescription drug prices in the U.S. are more than 250% times higher overall than those in 32 other countries, according to a new report from the RAND Corporation.

The gap between prices was even higher for brand-name drugs, with U.S. prices 3.44 times more than those in the other countries. Meanwhile, prices for generic drugs are slightly lower in the U.S. than in most other countries. Unbranded generic drugs account for 84% of drugs sold in the U.S. by volume, the researchers found, but only 12% of U.S. spending.

“The vast majority of prescription drugs [in the U.S.] are for generic, and there, the U.S. does pretty well,” says Andrew Mulcahy, PhD, a senior policy researcher at RAND and the lead author of the report. “But for brand-name drugs, we pay much higher.

This here sentence is an eye opener "Unbranded generic drugs account for 84% of drugs sold in the U.S. by volume, the researchers found, but only 12% of U.S. spending.
So we spend 88% of our money on only 12% of all the drugs we use.

That shouldn't be surprising to you. It is the very nature of the drug business. The multitude of special drugs for individual diseases cost the same amount to discover and test but the 1 billion cost is spread over relatively few doses. These drugs likely do not have the volume to make them worthwhile for the generic makers to produce them once the patent is done. The high volume drugs the generic makers can jump in and produce them with no research overhead.

If you want cheap drugs let the government fund the research and own the patents. It would be the same cost in the end but appear cheaper. I am currently visiting a terminally ill cancer patient, the experimental drug he is on has added a year and a half of quality life to his original diagnosis and the single monthly dose costs $16K . Canadian medicare will only fund 2 years of the drug.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 12th, 2022 at 10:49:32 AM permalink
rxwine
But the issue is, US companies making US citizens recoup the majority of costs of new drugs while negotiating discounts to multiple other countries for these same drugs.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 13th, 2022 at 4:53:33 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
But the issue is, US companies making US citizens recoup the majority of costs of new drugs while negotiating discounts to multiple other countries for these same drugs.
I have suspected all along the thinking was, US taxpayers can afford to support the profits of drug companies to compensate for other countries getting discounts. Big discounts.

I don't believe now allowing negotiation that there will be less research for new drugs. I can imagine those discounts others are getting are not going to be so big anymore
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 16th, 2022 at 3:31:23 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
lol

The look Biden gives Manchin. No love lost there.

https://twitter.com/iampoliticsgirl/status/1559651982159126528?s=21&t=CIlhxKlq9NYrMFsqybvtBg
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 16th, 2022 at 3:34:43 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288

I love a President with a sense of humor
Obama had it in spades
Trump has hardly any sense of humor and when he shows it, it's not funny like mocking the disabled
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 16th, 2022 at 3:55:22 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined

Trump has hardly any sense of humor and when he shows it, it's not funny like mocking the disabled

I would rather have a president mocking the disabled than tripping them.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 16th, 2022 at 4:08:53 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
In comparing and contrasting the governing style of both Biden and Trump I am reminded of the tale of the tortoise and the hare.

In this case, Biden (the tortoise) slowly and methodically plods along, getting there eventually, whereas Trump (the hare) darts around, zigging, zagging, and firing staff non-stop, getting nowhere fast.
August 16th, 2022 at 5:34:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Interesting.

Quote:
The University of North Florida released the results of a survey Tuesday that revealed Florida voters' choices for the state's gubernatorial and Senate primary races, while also looking ahead to November.

Demings, the former chief of police in Orlando and current congresswoman, was ahead in the Aug. 23 Democratic Senate primary with 80% support. Candidates Candace Daniel and Robert Willis lagged with less than 5% of the vote.

When Florida voters were asked about November's midterm Senate race, Demings came out on top against Rubio with 48% support to Rubio's 44%.