Ukraine conflict

February 20th, 2022 at 4:01:31 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Intelligence sources say Russia will be going in tonight. I would say it is 50/50 that it will be tonight.

The US has not broadcast the closing ceremonies yet
That's huge PR for China
No way it happens tonight.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 20th, 2022 at 4:52:11 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
We could stop them if we chose to, but we choose not to: ain't worth it.

No, I'm not talking troops, tanks or aircraft: it is my belief that we've got "secret stuff" that could be brought to bear, e.g. beam weapons and kinetic bombardment from satellites in space.
February 20th, 2022 at 6:49:53 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
This guy has a good understanding of Russia and Ukraine. Or he has some insights that might help form a better understanding, imo.

https://thesaker.is/what-are-putin-and-macron-up-to/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 21st, 2022 at 11:09:56 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
We could stop them if we chose to, but we choose not to: ain't worth it.

No, I'm not talking troops, tanks or aircraft: it is my belief that we've got "secret stuff" that could be brought to bear, e.g. beam weapons and kinetic bombardment from satellites in space.

We could definitely stop them if willing to. No one here is willing to do that because it could escalate us into a war. Personally, I would be all for it but most people would rather continue there mundane lives than try something new.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 21st, 2022 at 7:37:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Hazarding another guess at Russia's strategy.

-The reason they put so many troops on all borders wasn't for a mass invasion, but to make sure Ukraine wouldn't have the forces to concentrate in the so-called contested Eastern area. Russia would then have had the least possible resistance in that area. They go in, take that area and never leave aiming to remain for "security" reasons. Of course, later they will claim the people there all want them there.

Land acquisition, one small "bite" at a time.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 21st, 2022 at 7:47:19 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Hazarding another guess at Russia's strategy.

-The reason they put so many troops on all borders wasn't for a mass invasion, but to make sure Ukraine wouldn't have the forces to concentrate in the so-called contested Eastern area. Russia would then have had the least possible resistance in that area. They go in, take that area and never leave aiming to remain for "security" reasons. Of course, later they will claim the people there all want them there.

Land acquisition, one small "bite" at a time.

It is already happening. Putin says that Eastern Ukraine is an independent country that is asking Russia for protection from the aggressor Ukraine.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 22nd, 2022 at 4:58:08 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Biden has done more to help the Russian economy, than anyone in history.

In a single year, his anti-fossil fuel policies, helped increase Russian oil and gas revenues by no less than 35%.

Oil and gas sales account for 36% of Russia’s total budget. Thanks mostly to Biden’s anti-fossil fuel crusade, Putin had an extra $400 to $700 billion to spend on his military in 2021. The way the price of oil is headed, he could have an extra $1 trillion this year.

Russian Sokol oil was $56 when Biden took office. Today it is $98 per barrel. The US imports 600,000 barrels of Russian oil every day. Thank’s to Biden, the US increased it’s annual funding of Putin’s military by 77%, so far.
February 22nd, 2022 at 5:13:05 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Bravo Biden.

He prioritizes our children's future more than the short-ssighted greed of oil men and people who own stocks in oil companies.

Fracking sucks and I'm glad he's trying to stop it from further destroying our environment.

We won't be importing oil from Russia til this mess ends and we'll try to prevent them from exporting it.

Yeah, prices will rise, but this is war...sort of.
February 22nd, 2022 at 6:14:32 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: missedhervee
We won't be importing oil from Russia til this mess ends and we'll try to prevent them from exporting it.

Biden didn't say we won't be buying their oil. Even if we don't, they'll only sell it to China, and China will buy less from the US.

Putin was prepared for this.

"Russia Signs Oil and Gas Deals With China as Relations With the West Sour"

10 billion cubic meters of natural gas per year through a pipeline to China.

So much for the Nordstream2 card.

US government debt - $30 trillion.

Russian government debt - $248 billion.

They don't need to trade in US dollars.

They removed the US dollar from their national wealth fund, and only half their exports are settled in dollars.
February 23rd, 2022 at 1:20:31 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25