Ukraine conflict

February 27th, 2022 at 10:55:50 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: rxwine
I forgot to mention these are bears with guns.

Ursus arctos horribilis telum

Ah, I see. Yes, metaphoric bears are the worst.
February 27th, 2022 at 11:00:12 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
This whole Ukraine thing is such a huge yawner.

Really?

https://funker530.com/

Gee, so sorry that news from Ukraine bores you; you playing online roulette trumps it for stimulation, eh?

I see today that Putin has put his nuclear forces on "high alert," i.e. equivalent to Defcon two or perhaps Defcon one.

Nothing to see here ...
February 27th, 2022 at 11:48:17 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rquiredusername

You say it’s a yawner and then immediately go into how into following it you are.

Gee, I wonder who you are really. You join your two days ago and you obviously know everybody here. An Infamous well-known sock puppet got found out on another Forum last week and outed for it and you magically show up here. What a coincidence. And your very first post to me is confrontational. I'm about 90% sure who you are but we'll see. If you are who I think you are you won't last here either because you just can't help yourself but be you.

I’m not who you think I am considering whatever it is you’re referencing..

But then, your socks always say that. LOL
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 27th, 2022 at 11:48:57 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Quote: Tanko
Putin puts Russia’s nuclear forces on high alert as tensions rise with West

It only takes thirty minutes for those missiles to reach their targets.

He is a very mentally ill and desperate person, who is capable of anything. People like him, only get worse over time, without professional help, or a bullet.

I've been wondering if the speculation on his mental state has any merit. i'd prefer to think he's just made some bad calculations.

I think so also
Russians are not interested in war despite Putin propaganda. There is no great wall internet censorship like there is in China.
His troops are attacking people that speak the same language and look like Russians. Tough job.
Except for Tucker and Trump, the entire planet is against this war.
"Russia-Backed Television Network Airs Tucker Carlson's Pro-Putin Monologue" https://www.newsweek.com/russia-backed-television-network-airs-tucker-carlsons-pro-putin-monologue-1682509?amp=1
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 27th, 2022 at 1:21:48 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
There’s a trend amongst the stupider righties to blame what is happening in Ukraine on “wokeness” or “pronouns.”

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 27th, 2022 at 1:28:32 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Twas only a matter of time until someone tried to blame it on millennials, thought perhaps it would be Putin.
February 27th, 2022 at 2:20:23 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
I'm in Tampa
I've been avoiding harsh winters for 2 decades

I am two hours south of you and I still get cold here on occasion.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 27th, 2022 at 2:53:46 PM permalink
rquiredusername

You say it’s a yawner and then immediately go into how into following it you are.

Gee, I wonder who you are really. You join your two days ago and you obviously know everybody here. An Infamous well-known sock puppet got found out on another Forum last week and outed for it and you magically show up here. What a coincidence. And your very first post to me is confrontational. I'm about 90% sure who you are but we'll see. If you are who I think you are you won't last here either because you just can't help yourself but be you.

I’m not who you think I am considering whatever it is you’re referencing..

But then, your socks always say that. LOL

Holy crap you think I’m Nathan. Don’t know whether to laugh or be angry.
February 27th, 2022 at 5:25:38 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Holy crap you think I’m Nathan. Don’t know whether to laugh or be angry.

Since it’s EB, laughter is probably warranted.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 27th, 2022 at 5:27:54 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3415272-how-to-join-international-legion-to-defend-ukraine-algorithm.html

So, there is an international legion now.

It does not sound like a greatly organized process, essentially you email the embassy in your home country, provide them with the paperwork (proof of military, combat experience), have a passport, and maybe your own weapons and gear:

'It is recommended that you have on you military uniform or its elements, gear, helmet, body armor, and more, if available."

You also have to sign a contract upon arrival through the Reserve Force (length is unclear), so if this ends in a month, you may end up having to fly to Ukraine once a month for several years to do mundane drill duties. Or what happens to you if Russia annexes Ukraine? Will you be absorbed into the Russian military? These are legitimate questions people should think about before joining.

Right now direct flights into the Ukraine are not available so the embassy will arrange travel arrangement if accepted.

Pay is unclear, but I don't think most people (from America or the West) are going for the money (but if you are quitting your full time job to go, and have bills to pay its something to consider). From what I can see online, the minimum wage for the military was raised to 3,400 USD (as of yesterday) for full-time, but its unclear if that applies to International Legion (its also a massive 10X increase from the prior military minimum wage of 340 USD -monthly-, so its unclear if the new pay scale will remain the in place after the war). I have a feeling the new pay scale will be hard to sustain after the massive foreign aid to their military dries up.

It is legal for American citizens to join foreign militaries (as long as they are not enemies of the U.S.) and retain citizenship (but that is why you need to keep the worst-case scenario in mind if you get absorbed into a Russian Unit).

https://kyivindependent.com/uncategorized/ukraine-to-pay-3400-hr-100000-per-month-to-military-personnel/