Ukraine conflict

March 8th, 2022 at 7:05:50 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
"Over 200 Companies Have Withdrawn from Russia - But Some Remain | Yale School of Management" https://som.yale.edu/story/2022/over-200-companies-have-withdrawn-russia-some-remain

Fascinating list
Phillip Morris gets 8% revenue from Russia. The Marlboro man sells
Starbucks, 130 locations in Russia

I see a lot of soldiers on both sides smoking, my guess is war makes smoking more popular so it would be a bad time to pull out.

No excuse for Coca Cola to not pull out, they made a huge stink in GA about changes to voting laws that would inhibit rights, but do not seem concerned about a War that will take away the right for Ukrainians to exist (and vote)....

In fact more broadly its odd that so many organizations and companies that changed location (or threatened to) out of States for voting rights or trans issues seem to have no issue containing to operate in a Country that quashes all rights.

It's like that famous picture from a few years ago from the Starbucks in Saudi Arabia that banned women with a huge sign to make the local government happy while talking about feminism in the U.S.

https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/latest-news/saudi-arabia-starbucks-bans-women-from-caf%C3%A9-after-collapse-of-segregation-wall/
(The term "Gender Barrier Wall" is so anti-feminism its insane).

Anyway, I guess the point is companies want to make money, and only stand for issues in places where standing for issues is profitable. There are some rare exceptions, but not many...
March 8th, 2022 at 7:41:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
I see a lot of soldiers on both sides smoking, my guess is war makes smoking more popular so it would be a bad time to pull out.

No excuse for Coca Cola to not pull out, they made a huge stink in GA about changes to voting laws that would inhibit rights, but do not seem concerned about a War that will take away the right for Ukrainians to exist (and vote)....

In fact more broadly its odd that so many organizations and companies that changed location (or threatened to) out of States for voting rights or trans issues seem to have no issue containing to operate in a Country that quashes all rights.

It's like that famous picture from a few years ago from the Starbucks in Saudi Arabia that banned women with a huge sign to make the local government happy while talking about feminism in the U.S.

https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/latest-news/saudi-arabia-starbucks-bans-women-from-caf%C3%A9-after-collapse-of-segregation-wall/
(The term "Gender Barrier Wall" is so anti-feminism its insane).

Anyway, I guess the point is companies want to make money, and only stand for issues in places where standing for issues is profitable. There are some rare exceptions, but not many...

Pulling a cola product is likely easier than closing 847 McDonalds in Russia.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 8th, 2022 at 7:54:59 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Pulling a cola product is likely easier than closing 847 McDonalds in Russia.

Easier but it can be done
We closed down the entire las Vegas strip due to a virus
All Americans will be suffering due to high gas prices.
We need companies to put more pressure on Putin and if that means lower revenue, so be it. Everybody is paying a price for this war. I'm ok with companies doing business in countries with limited freedom. I'm not ok with companies doing business in a country waging war.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 8th, 2022 at 12:12:58 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/watch-live-biden-ban-russian-oil-imports-over-ukraine-war

"We import 400,000-900,000 barrels of oil and oil products from Russia every single DAY" Lyndsey Fifield. As that supply is cut off, where will the replacement come from? Without getting the Venezuelan supply going again, without Keystone, without fracking, without drilling in AK or off our coasts, Looks like supply might get pretty tight around here? There is already a shortage of all kinds of things in our supply chain, truckers on strike, are we just going to come to a halt?

So farmers don't farm, truckers don't truck, drillers not drillin, we might have to vax just to create jobs? What's the plan? No border wall construction, homes up 50%, 2.5 million xtra humans "visiting" waiting on asylum or a check or a job. Where did those trillions go?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 8th, 2022 at 12:18:58 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: petroglyph
So farmers don't farm, truckers don't truck, drillers not drillin, we might have to vax just to create jobs? What's the plan? No border wall construction, homes up 50%, 2.5 million xtra humans "visiting" waiting on asylum or a check or a job. Where did those trillions go?

You're seeing it: the Twilight of the Gods.
March 8th, 2022 at 12:19:14 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/watch-live-biden-ban-russian-oil-imports-over-ukraine-war

"We import 400,000-900,000 barrels of oil and oil products from Russia every single DAY" Lyndsey Fifield. As that supply is cut off, where will the replacement come from? Without getting the Venezuelan supply going again, without Keystone, without fracking, without drilling in AK or off our coasts, Looks like supply might get pretty tight around here? There is already a shortage of all kinds of things in our supply chain, truckers on strike, are we just going to come to a halt?

Simple economics
As something becomes more expensive
People cut back on consumption
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 8th, 2022 at 1:51:42 PM permalink
terapined
Wow, that was fast. Just as they make the news

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/national/russia-ukraine-conflict/mcdonalds-promises-to-close-850-restaurants-in-russia-over-invasion-of-ukraine
March 8th, 2022 at 1:58:19 PM permalink
Gandler

I am very proud of them, that is not an easy call to make, they will take massive losses (and probably effect their stocks even more in the negative direction), but its the right move to make to be global citizens. Many companies care more about profits that setting the world in the proper direction.
March 8th, 2022 at 2:14:26 PM permalink
Gandler
Simple economics
As something becomes more expensive
People cut back on consumption

There are costs to imposing penalties. If it was painless, it would not be easy. Higher fuel prices are more desirable than WWIII. And, whatever economic pain we feel on any individual issue, Russia feels many times more, so its still a net-win.

Our prices are still lower than most of Europe for the last 15 years, so its not that bad. We are just spoiled by generally low (fuel) prices (from my understanding this is mostly due to many European Countries taxing close to 2 USD a gallon for many years, or close/over to 3 USD a gallon for some so its not naturally higher...).

(This may also have the ancillary benefit of accelerating the popularity of electric and hybrid vehicles, especially because this may go on longer than many originally thought, and even after "it ends" the trade restrictions will not instantly lift, which is probably also why such vehicles are so much more popular in Europe)....
March 8th, 2022 at 2:14:52 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see they could continue even if they wanted to with all the sanctions in place.

I doubt Uncle Sam would let them continue to travel to and fro and ship in coffee and related supplies.

Whatever, death to Putin!