Ukraine conflict

March 8th, 2022 at 2:16:53 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
I am very proud of them, that is not an easy call to make, they will take massive losses (and probably effect their stocks even more in the negative direction), but its the right move to make to be global citizens. Many companies care more about profits that setting the world in the proper direction.

I agree
Putin badly miscalculated
It's an extremely intertwined world these days
Regular Russians can't help but realize they are getting f***ked. This has got to worry Putin.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 8th, 2022 at 4:49:49 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3423417-dicaprio-donates-10m-to-ukrainian-army.html

Leonard Dicaprio donates 10 mil to the Ukraine Army. This is the largest single cash donation straight to the Army.

For reasons that I don't fully understand (and probably don't really care), the right-wing seems obsessed with him and how he uses his money (for years there have been endless stories on right wing pages following his jet use, etc....), so I guess its great that such a large donations is to such a worthy cause that nobody can disagree with.

I would not call myself a fan of his, but he is a solid actor, and has been lucky to be in many epic movies (which may -probably- have more to do with his massive success than his acting skill, but that is an off-topic point not for this thread). And, if he uses his wealth for organization he believes in, I see no issue with it.

People can donate to the Ukrainian military account on this link in the special donor account for the Ukraine military by the National Bank of Ukraine:

https://bank.gov.ua/en/about/support-the-armed-forces

And, it is a highly encouraged donation (this is not tax deductible to this account, but its highly encouraged).
March 8th, 2022 at 6:16:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/watch-live-biden-ban-russian-oil-imports-over-ukraine-war

"We import 400,000-900,000 barrels of oil and oil products from Russia every single DAY" Lyndsey Fifield. As that supply is cut off, where will the replacement come from? Without getting the Venezuelan supply going again, without Keystone, without fracking, without drilling in AK or off our coasts, Looks like supply might get pretty tight around here? There is already a shortage of all kinds of things in our supply chain, truckers on strike, are we just going to come to a halt?

So farmers don't farm, truckers don't truck, drillers not drillin, we might have to vax just to create jobs? What's the plan? No border wall construction, homes up 50%, 2.5 million xtra humans "visiting" waiting on asylum or a check or a job. Where did those trillions go?

It will be hardest for people who are trying to live the lifestyles of the rich and famous, who are already overextended financially. Hard to get help when you would have enough money if you weren't living beyond your means, barely making your house payments or whatever.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 8th, 2022 at 6:46:12 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined

The are not shutting down they are suspending operations in Russia. To their credit they will continue to pay their employees, that will be a huge on going cost. They probably don't see it continuing very long.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 8th, 2022 at 6:53:25 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: kenarman
The are not shutting down they are suspending operations in Russia. To their credit they will continue to pay their employees, that will be a huge on going cost. They probably don't see it continuing very long.

How is shutting down different than indefinitely suspending operations?

(Obviously specifically in Russia, nobody, at least nobody mainstream/sane, expected every international company who had Russian locations to close their stores across the whole world until this issue was resolved....)
March 8th, 2022 at 7:01:18 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
How is shutting down different than indefinitely suspending operations?

(Obviously specifically in Russia, nobody, at least nobody mainstream/sane, expected every international company who had Russian locations to close their stores across the whole world until this issue was resolved....)

You don't continue to pay employees if you are not planning on reopening in a reasonable time.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 8th, 2022 at 7:43:24 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: kenarman
You don't continue to pay employees if you are not planning on reopening in a reasonable time.

I was going to say that depends on the franchisee who owns the store or local chain.

But, it appears that all McDonalds in Russia are owned/operated by Corporate which makes things more interesting (and pretty unique as that is not their usual model).

As for re-opening, maybe, but the conflict in Ukraine will sadly be long lasting. Even after this war ends, there will be endless border disputes now. I mean who is ever going to look at Russians "doing training near the border" the same? (Which I think most people predicted from the Start). Russia is basically a country that cannot be trusted in the modern world.

One thing I would add, is many people are overlooking Belaruse, which is almost (maybe just as) guilty as Russia. They allowed (and coordinated) with Russian military units to attack from the North. More companies need to be blocking them. Also, more countries need to be considering liberating them, as they are not nearly as large of a threat as Russia, and this would do more for EU stability (its the last country in Europe that truly cannot be trusted with the Western ethos), so a full liberation would be far easier. And, then Ukraine only has to worry about one border. They are not nearly getting the vilification that they deserve.
March 8th, 2022 at 8:17:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Nuclear weapons by country.

Russia — 6,257 (1,458 active, 3039 available, 1,760 retired)
United States — 5,550 (1,389 active, 2,361 available, 1,800 retired)
China — 350 available (actively expanding nuclear arsenal)
France — 290 available
United Kingdom — 225 available
Pakistan — 165 available
India — 156 available
Israel — 90 available
North Korea — 40-50 available (estimated)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 9th, 2022 at 5:13:49 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
The administration’s talking point about 9,000 leases is a bit misleading.

Our family owns mineral rights on a property near Crawford, Texas. There have been at least two leases for the land that were paid and expired. I know one of them paid over $60,000 to the owners (a total of 3). That was about six years ago.

No drilling ever took place. Either no permits were obtained/allowed, a study of the land found little or no gas/oil, or the leaseholder decided it was not worth drilling:

A lease does not equal a drilling site or production. Many leases expire without anything being done with the land. Others produce dry holes or poor production.

The 9,000 number is not the whole story.
March 9th, 2022 at 10:15:16 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Putin is looking super-puffy.

Taking prednisone for some health issue?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman