Ukraine conflict

March 6th, 2022 at 2:52:25 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Tanko
Quote: Tanko
"Russian troops close in on Ukraine's largest nuclear power plant as authorities warn of potential for disaster"

Russians began bombing the nuclear plant yesterday, attempting to create another, but much more devastating Chernobyl. Radiation levels are elevated. This is a nuclear attack without nuclear bombs.

This is from a WSJ article that unfortunately is behind a paywall.

“The U.S. has invested heavily into the ability to shoot down ballistic missiles that could carry nuclear warheads although it has no effective defense against Russia's nuclear forces and has no plans to develop such a capacity. The limited anti-missiles system the U.S. has are aimed at a North Korean threat.”

Thank an Obama voter. We were building ABM bases in Poland but he 86ed the program.

That is true in the technical sense, but false in the realistic sense.

Obama changed the plans building a base in Poland, but a different smaller base was built (I actually know somebody who just returned from there, so I can confirm it exists), and a more modern mobile system (that relies on Naval systems based on ships that can be moved), so there is a missile defense system. And, there is even a Polish base in Poland.. So they have missile defenses.

All Obama cancelled was a specific site being built under an old program (and this was not all his fault, there were a lot of politics and pressures at play regarding the building of the base and those in Poland who did not want it there). But, there is still a base in Poland (and others in other European Countries), and ships nearby with the capabilities. Poland also has its own systems.

However, all of this is irrelevant because America has no desire to use the program, so arguing about the placement of the sites and the ships is moot. U.S. will view using such missiles as an aggression and will not use them for the same reason we will not put boots on the ground. So the idea that more bases in Poland would allow us to stop the attack on the Nuclear Plants is not true. (Now, I am not saying I agree with this, or that I even agree with no troops on the ground, but that is the current policy, we are not going to intercept missiles that are not effecting a NATO country).

The point is, this is a really far-fetched way to slur Obama, when it was not a bad decision at the time, given the scenario, we have a base in Poland now, and we have ships, and capability is not what is stopping America from intercepting missiles.

Poland is quite safe (very large U.S. presence) and its in NATO. Right now, I am most concerned about non-NATO countries, because that seems to be what Putin is eyeing next, and NATO seems to have made it clear that there will not be an intervention (including missile interception) for non-NATO allies.

Anyway, wasn't it just like six months ago that the right was obsessing about the amount of troops and money we were spending in Poland (even though this was originally Trump's idea when he was scaling back German bases and shifting to Poland while he figured out where to put them, even if this was a stunt to pressure Germany into paying more into NATO as opposed to Poland who he viewed as paying its fair share, but that is a whole separate issue of insanity....)? And, now retrospectively, its way too little, and Obama is to blame for some politics 12 years ago? Its almost like there is no right answer other than the opposite of whatever Democrats do....
March 6th, 2022 at 3:46:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
So the situation in Russia must be very interesting. Putin is doing his best to block the real news about the invasion referring to it as a special operation to rid Ukraine of Nazis and drug addicts meanwhile he is blaming NATO for what's happened to the Banks, stock market, credit cards, imports and exports.

Russian citizens would have to wonder why NATO countries are against the removal of NAZis and drug addicts with so many anti- Russia moves against the country.

I'm pretty sure you'd have to be completely clueless to buy into such a great farce.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 6th, 2022 at 4:08:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
Brittney Griner has been held by Russia on drug charges since sometime in February.

Foreign drug laws are often much more harsh than those in the US and “reasonable doubt” doesn’t seem to be a thing in Russia.

I hope this gets resolved sooner rather than later…but she faces up to ten years according to reports.

Normally, it would be a good idea to make someone being detained in a foreign country well publicized as possible. But right now, that really turns her into a more valuable chess piece. If I was her, I would have preferred to stay low profile for longer in hopes that the overall situation would resolve to better relations before trying to publicize my situation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 7th, 2022 at 6:20:47 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 7th, 2022 at 5:57:03 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: rxwine
I'm pretty sure you'd have to be completely clueless to buy into such a great farce.

As I understand it, older Russians usually isten uncritically to what the gov't propaganda puts out and rarely question the news.

Younger Russians, those with access to outside media and outside information are becoming aware of the truth and don't like it one bit.

All of Russia will learn the truth sometime soon, especially as hundreds of dead Russian soldiers are returned to be buried by their families.

It amazes me that Putin actually thinks he can pull of The Big Lie without it biting him in the ass soon.
March 7th, 2022 at 6:06:40 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: missedhervee
As I understand it, older Russians usually isten uncritically to what the gov't propaganda puts out and rarely question the news.

As I understand it, older Russians view govt propaganda like we view commercials and pretty much don't believe it and tune it out.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 7th, 2022 at 6:23:46 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: terapined
As I understand it, older Russians view govt propaganda like we view commercials and pretty much don't believe it and tune it out.

If that is so, do they simply not care about the truth?

If they care, how then do they learn the true facts?
March 7th, 2022 at 7:14:30 PM permalink
terapined

What is the truth?
Have you ever looked at our commercials
Talk about lies of the century
Buy this and you will be happy
Eat this despite the fact that's its probably killing you.
Commercials ARE propaganda and we are flooded with them.
March 7th, 2022 at 7:37:31 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

I just saw an interview with a young lady who escaped Ukraine. Her parents live in Russia and, while happy for her safety, believe what Russian TV shows and not what she tells them is going on in Ukraine.

The media is controlled by the government and that is all many see.

They won’t learn the true facts.
March 7th, 2022 at 7:50:22 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

Determining the truth from watching the news is seldom the way to learn the true facts. This is shown time and time again on the media in every country. You and I have access to the same media but we can't agree on the facts. How can you expect the average Russian with only access to government controlled media to be able decide what is the the truth. Who knows maybe the idea that there is only one truth is the biggest lie of all.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin