Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Quote: Gandler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTeMwS9KFJA&t=1692s

Sam Harris interviews Garry Kasparov.

Sam Harris of course needs no introduction. Garry Kasparov may be more obscure other than those into chess history and certain political circles (he speaks about Western Values a lot over the last few years), he was the first Grandmaster that was defeated by AI in 1996.

Very excellent perspective from a highly intelligent mind who has experience under both Soviets and modern Russia (not much about chess comes up, for those only interested in his takes on that topic). In fact most of his career since the 2000s has been less about chess and more about speaking and writing of the dangers of Putin (and to some degree Russia in general). In fact his book "Winter is Coming", is highly recommended and in some ways ahead of its time for coming out 5ish years ago. He certainly caught on to Putin very early.

He is on the left, but is highly critical of the left and the right for going all of these years without removing Putin (as well as Syrian leaders) so he has fans and haters on both sides of the political aisles. He is often viewed as a Neo-Con, by those on the left that dislike him, but I view that as a positive, so the slur is meaningless to me.

Who is Sam Harris
I never heard of the guy
Is he some kind of champion?
Do his accomplishments rival Gary?
I'm a huge Gary Kasparov fan. One of the greats in Chess and a former champion.

Sam Harris is a neuroscientist and a writer.

He is probably most famous for being an atheist and being critical of religion (Him, Dawkins, Denney, and Hitchens were the "four new atheists" 4 horsemen that were often together etc....) In the early 2000s after 9/11 he started writing books about the dangers religion (with a focus on Islam and Christianity), which made him pretty famous (and infamous), and his books kind of made him mainstream, even if it was not his favorite issue to be popular for. The End of Faith, is probably is most well known book, which came out a couple years after 9/11 and was clearly inspired by it.

I am a fan of both, so I don't know who has more accomplishments. I would say Gary is a better chess player, but Sam probably has more influence on American politicts.

Most younger people don't know Gary, I only learned about him in the last few years on some political panel, and I did not even link him to his past chess self until some time later. I love both so its in no way meant to dimish either.... I was just saying many people do not know who he is, or even if they do, how his personal history makes him so relevant on the topic of Russia (if anything he may be known by some people in passing learning about computer history when he is used as a popular benchmark for certain AI). It's almost like two separate Gary's, when young people see him in passing or watch a speech by him, they don't associate him as, "that chess guy".

I know of both, but I have a unique crossover of interests where both overlap (generally on foreign policy where both Gary and Sam are right and excellent). But, I think it's fair to say Sam is probably more well known outside of chess circles. Gary may be more well known in passing in the sense that the AI match is mentioned in a lot of comp Sci and Psychology books usually in brief passing.

It's fair to say Sam has more academic accomplishments and Gary has more chess accomplishments, and I'll tie them for political influence (since Gary does more activism outside of America, even if less in America), that should be fair.

Seriously I've never heard of Sam Harris
Just looked him up
Seriously, I'm not impressed.
Just another philosopher full of high minded BS
I can think for myself, thank you very much
That's why I never heard of him, I avoid his type like the plague
Take his think on "Free Will"
He doesn't believe in free will
And he gives a ton of BS reasons why.
Hogwash
I'm the very definition of free will :-)

You have no choice but to feel that way, as all believers in free will do.
March 11th, 2022 at 5:08:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Sam Harris of course needs no introduction. Garry Kasparov may be more obscure other than those into chess history and certain political circles (he speaks about Western Values a lot over the last few years), he was the first Grandmaster that was defeated by AI in 1996.

Very excellent perspective from a highly intelligent mind who has experience under both Soviets and modern Russia (not much about chess comes up, for those only interested in his takes on that topic). In fact most of his career since the 2000s has been less about chess and more about speaking and writing of the dangers of Putin (and to some degree Russia in general). In fact his book "Winter is Coming", is highly recommended and in some ways ahead of its time for coming out 5ish years ago. He certainly caught on to Putin very early.

He is on the left, but is highly critical of the left and the right for going all of these years without removing Putin (as well as Syrian leaders) so he has fans and haters on both sides of the political aisles. He is often viewed as a Neo-Con, by those on the left that dislike him, but I view that as a positive, so the slur is meaningless to me.

Who is Sam Harris
I never heard of the guy

He is probably most famous for being an atheist and being critical of religion (Him, Dawkins, Denney, and Hitchens were the "four new atheists" 4 horsemen that were often together etc....) In the early 2000s after 9/11 he started writing books about the dangers religion (with a focus on Islam and Christianity), which made him pretty famous (and infamous), and his books kind of made him mainstream, even if it was not his favorite issue to be popular for. The End of Faith, is probably is most well known book, which came out a couple years after 9/11 and was clearly inspired by it.

I am a fan of both, so I don't know who has more accomplishments. I would say Gary is a better chess player, but Sam probably has more influence on American politicts.

Most younger people don't know Gary, I only learned about him in the last few years on some political panel, and I did not even link him to his past chess self until some time later. I love both so its in no way meant to dimish either.... I was just saying many people do not know who he is, or even if they do, how his personal history makes him so relevant on the topic of Russia (if anything he may be known by some people in passing learning about computer history when he is used as a popular benchmark for certain AI). It's almost like two separate Gary's, when young people see him in passing or watch a speech by him, they don't associate him as, "that chess guy".

I know of both, but I have a unique crossover of interests where both overlap (generally on foreign policy where both Gary and Sam are right and excellent). But, I think it's fair to say Sam is probably more well known outside of chess circles. Gary may be more well known in passing in the sense that the AI match is mentioned in a lot of comp Sci and Psychology books usually in brief passing.

It's fair to say Sam has more academic accomplishments and Gary has more chess accomplishments, and I'll tie them for political influence (since Gary does more activism outside of America, even if less in America), that should be fair.

Just looked him up
Hogwash

My lifestyle screams free will
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 11th, 2022 at 5:13:43 PM permalink
Gandler

Who is Sam Harris
I never heard of the guy

Just looked him up
Hogwash

My lifestyle screams free will

(That was a joke, I am actually undetermined on that issue, and to be honest it's not something I have read much on recently)
I know this is an issue with two strong camps, and both have good arguments. But, its simply not one that I really care too much about, because either way it would not change anything, either we do or we don't.....

But, on Russia, Gary and Sam hit the nail on the head.

And, I think Sam had a great voice (which is why I like his Podcasts, very soothing, especially his meditation).
March 11th, 2022 at 5:34:27 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96

I found some of my most valuable courses in college to be in philosophy; fact is, a liberal arts education wouldn't be worth spit in a sand storm without at least an intro to philosophy course.

Most of the time we live our lives reacting to things; philosophy gets to the heart of the matter, seeking answers to "Why?"

FWIW I particularly enjoyed reading Nietzsche, Hesse, Sartre and Camus.

Here's a favorite passage from Camus' seminal work, "The Stranger:"

"“It was as if that great rush of anger had washed me clean, emptied me of hope, and, gazing up at the dark sky spangled with its signs and stars, for the first time, the first, I laid my heart open to the benign indifference of the universe."
March 11th, 2022 at 5:41:47 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: missedhervee
I found some of my most valuable courses in college to be in philosophy; fact is, a liberal arts education wouldn't be worth spit in a sand storm without at least an intro to philosophy course.

I went to about a hundred Grateful Dead concerts instead
More if you include Jerry Garcia Band shows
I got all the philosophy I need via Robert Hunter and John Barlow lyrics. Spiritualism from the music.
Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Even my sig line screams free will :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 11th, 2022 at 5:59:22 PM permalink
Gandler

Most of the time we live our lives reacting to things; philosophy gets to the heart of the matter, seeking answers to "Why?"

FWIW I particularly enjoyed reading Nietzsche, Hesse, Sartre and Camus.

Well, if I am recalling correctly you are a lawyer.

I have been told by several lawyers that philosophy is one of the best undergraduate majors for law school that many people don't want to consider (apparently a lot of people just do political science or criminal justice).

I have taken several philosophy classes (including Intro and Chinese Philosophy, Indian, and some mostly Middle Eastern one which covered several areas such as Persia, which I forget the name of), all were interesting, and they all had great professors. I will say philosophy professors tend to be great teachers (it could just be my experience) and great speakers. If nothing else they are good classes for building foundations for your positions and reasonings, and learning about trends in various cultures.

Somebody else told me that some companies he recruits for prefers philosophies majors over business majors because they tend to be more rounded, but this is also anecdotal.

I only know one person (personally, not counting professors I have had, etc...) with an M.A. (Masters) in philosophy and he was recruited for a certain surveillance agency after being a somewhat successful astrologer who shared a building with one of the field offices in a city building (and yes I mean astrologer, I don't get it either, but apparently such things are still popular in some circles). His original goal was to prove astrology to the world, now he has to not be public at all....
March 13th, 2022 at 7:34:55 AM permalink
terapined
"How To Text Random Russians The Truth About Putin’s War In Ukraine" https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2022/03/12/how-to-text-random-russians-the-truth-about-putins-war-in-ukraine/amp/

Go to 1920.in.
Wait while Cloudflare passes you through anti -DDOS (distributed denial of service) protection. This is necessary since Russian hackers may try to flood the website with traffic, making it inaccessible.
Enter the number you see at the top of your screen into your texting app. (Note: this is easier if you’ve enabled text on your computer, in which case you can simple click to copy the phone number and paste it in your computer’s messaging app.)
Click the Copy Text button to copy the already-translated-into-Russian message you’re going to send. Open a new browser window, navigate to translate.google.com, and paste it in. Read the English translation and ensure you’re in agreement with the message. (This is optional, but I always would like to know what I’m going to send someone.)
Now, if you’re on your laptop, paste the Russian-language message into your messaging app, and hit Send. If you’re not, use AirDrop (on iPhone/Mac) or Android Nearby Share on Android (here’s how) to send the message to your phone. (You could also email it.)
Rinse and repeat.
March 13th, 2022 at 11:05:50 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Bill Maher on Friday night: if it's true that Trump was Putin's puppet and totally in Putin's pocket, why didn't Putin invade Ukraine while Trump was president, why did he wait until Biden was president.

Trevor Noah on Friday: One thing we know for sure Saudi Arabia would have taken a call from Trump and not refused the call like they did with Biden.

When two huge Libby's like these guys are making statements like this, there's a sea change coming.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 13th, 2022 at 12:16:31 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
Bill Maher on Friday night: if it's true that Trump was Putin's puppet and totally in Putin's pocket, why didn't Putin invade Ukraine while Trump was president, why did he wait until Biden was president.

It could be because he was playing a "long game."
March 13th, 2022 at 1:02:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
It could be because he was playing a "long game."

The only way Putin could have been less popular is choosing to start a war in the middle of the pandemic.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?