rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
I approve canceling
People have freedom and canceling is freedom
Take OAN
They are being canceled due to economic freedom
I don't see anybody being censored for free speech on public property
Who is being censored Ronc???????????????????????
Bear in mind you are posting on private property here
On this peice of private property, the Wizard can nuke for any reason and that persons free speech rights are not violated. There is no free speech right on private property

I agree.

One has the right to free speech, but people can be "cancelled" all the back way down to the public square. The public square is where you could preach all day that the Holocaust was the greatest thing ever. Because it's free. I've said before, Limbaugh figured out how to have a big platform, and not be cancelled, but his crowd supports him.

People who have a 30 year sports broadcasting career who say the "n" word once may lose their job legitimately. When they complain their free speech is being violated by being fired, they're just wrong. You didn't lose your free speech, you just lost your giant platform which you didn't own in the first place.

Same with Trump. Didn't lose his free speech when he was thrown off Facebook and Twitter.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 16th, 2022 at 8:14:10 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
When does “cancelling” become “bullying”?

It seems to me they there are reasons people should lose jobs and reasons they should be presented with opposing views…but those can be two very different levels of escalation.

We have an inability to keep things at the right levels.

Once we only have one acceptable point of view, we have a problem.

In the right type of conversation, people adjust their position based on being presented a better idea.
March 16th, 2022 at 8:15:38 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Hopefully President Biden increases the speed and amount of arms sent to the Ukraine starting with his speech today.
March 16th, 2022 at 8:48:19 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC
Hopefully President Biden increases the speed and amount of arms sent to the Ukraine starting with his speech today.

I don't think much will change until the Russians evaluate their push into Kiev over the next couple weeks. Although I suppose that could happen in a week.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 16th, 2022 at 9:18:12 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
No wonder RonC gets all pissy when we point out Donny already did the things he’s whining about Dems doing now:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 16th, 2022 at 10:06:27 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
The personal level of the attacks is much higher than it was in the past. People of opposite view could be friends and have intelligent debate over the issues. That to a large extent is not possible today. Everyone thinks in absolutes now, you are wrong and I am right. That is seldom correct and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle but reasoned debate is rarely possible.

I don't think that is anymore true now than in the past we just see or more, and those types of people are the ones who get the attention (and make more FB posts etc...) so its a self fulfilling prophesy. The internet and TV just makes easier what was once relegated to random opinion pamphlets.

But, this issue has no gray zone, Russia is wrong. And, remeber there were Americans who made excuses for Germany and Japan before WWII started ( "it used to be their land" "they need to makeup for the sanctions that we put on them".... ) So this idea of sympathizing with the enemy is not new either sadly.

I am not a huge fan of cancel or outrage culture, I stand by my point that it's not relevant in this context because there is no gray zone, one side is wrong (Russia).
March 16th, 2022 at 11:32:02 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Very interesting how the righties who ENDLESSLY defended Donny’s “perfect” phone call where he tried to blackmail Zelensky now want to criticize Biden for not supporting Ukraine enough.

What a bunch of hypocrites.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 16th, 2022 at 11:33:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:

A Russian model who called Vladimir Putin a "psychopath" has been found dead and stuffed inside a suitcase, a report says. Gretta Vedler, 23, went missing a year ago

However, after several hours of beatings interrogations her ex-boyfriend confessed to strangling her.

Actually, her boyfriend confessed with no mention of any inducements. I do find it odd she was criticizing one psychopath then killed by another.
March 16th, 2022 at 1:45:51 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
When does “cancelling” become “bullying”?

When does it????????????????
Companies Have a right to run their business in the most profitable way possible. If you have an employee that is a loose cannon politically and it hurts business or it might hurt business
Fire that clown
It's called freedom.
Companies have a right to protect their reputation
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 16th, 2022 at 5:26:33 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
I don't think that is anymore true now than in the past we just see or more, and those types of people are the ones who get the attention (and make more FB posts etc...) so its a self fulfilling prophesy. The internet and TV just makes easier what was once relegated to random opinion pamphlets.

But, this issue has no gray zone, Russia is wrong. And, remeber there were Americans who made excuses for Germany and Japan before WWII started ( "it used to be their land" "they need to makeup for the sanctions that we put on them".... ) So this idea of sympathizing with the enemy is not new either sadly.

I am not a huge fan of cancel or outrage culture, I stand by my point that it's not relevant in this context because there is no gray zone, one side is wrong (Russia).

You weren't around in the past Gandler. It wasn't an issue when I was younger to anywhere near the extent it is now.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin