Ukraine conflict

March 15th, 2022 at 6:06:39 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: RonC
I don’t watch many of the cable news opinion shows that are on in the evening. They generally are not that interesting because many of the hosts repeat the same things over and over again. Especially Hannity.

I did watch Tucker Carson tonight and he had on Tulsi Gabbard. Both have been called lots of things based on their positions on how much to support Ukraine and the cost of it in Ukrainian lives, based on what has happen in other places where war was kept alive with outside support or sanctions were places, such as those on Iraq which cost millions of children their lives. Tucker has been accused of “treason” by a former Senator. I have heard and seen other comments in the same vein along the way.

It is interesting that there is a line we won’t go past based on President Biden’s policies and that isn’t treason, but disagreeing about where the line possibly should be is treason.

Wrong. It is just a position on the matter. Anything less than full involvement will likely not stop Russia from taking, and keeping, large pieces—or all—of Ukraine and becoming fully involved would potentially to a World War.

It is okay to have differences of opinion. That is not “treason”. It is the freedom to speak your mind. I have not heard anyone actually side with Putin on this war and calling him “smart” or a “worthy adversary” is not the same as endorsing his invasion of Russia.

We need to be able to disagree with each other without accusing someone of a crime for not thinking the same way.

On many, many issues…

What a common sense and accurate post Ron. That pretty much guarantees it will be flamed by the usual suspects.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 15th, 2022 at 6:18:49 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Tulsi is still going on Tucker’s White Power Hour?

Why on earth would anyone listen to anything she has to say? She ran for the Democratic nomination for president and was laughed off the stage. Now she speaks to the racists at CPAC and goes on our country’s most popular white nationalist propaganda program. Clearly she just needs attention.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 15th, 2022 at 6:23:00 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Russian law maker demands USA return Alaska and part of California to Russia as "reparations."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/russia-alaska-california-fort-reparations-sanctions

LOL, good luck with that...
March 15th, 2022 at 6:44:40 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I don’t watch many of the cable news opinion shows that are on in the evening. They generally are not that interesting because many of the hosts repeat the same things over and over again. Especially Hannity.

I did watch Tucker Carson tonight and he had on Tulsi Gabbard. Both have been called lots of things based on their positions on how much to support Ukraine and the cost of it in Ukrainian lives, based on what has happen in other places where war was kept alive with outside support or sanctions were places, such as those on Iraq which cost millions of children their lives. Tucker has been accused of “treason” by a former Senator. I have heard and seen other comments in the same vein along the way.

It is interesting that there is a line we won’t go past based on President Biden’s policies and that isn’t treason, but disagreeing about where the line possibly should be is treason.

Wrong. It is just a position on the matter. Anything less than full involvement will likely not stop Russia from taking, and keeping, large pieces—or all—of Ukraine and becoming fully involved would potentially to a World War.

It is okay to have differences of opinion. That is not “treason”. It is the freedom to speak your mind. I have not heard anyone actually side with Putin on this war and calling him “smart” or a “worthy adversary” is not the same as endorsing his invasion of Russia.

We need to be able to disagree with each other without accusing someone of a crime for not thinking the same way.

On many, many issues…

Tucker Carlson is essentially a conspiracy theorist, he is a mainstream Alex Jones, saying that he committed treason (which is a loaded term) would be expecting him to have any other worldview.

Tulsi Gabbard is another issue because she is a politician and until very recently a military member. So when she sides with the enemy it matters.

Both have been anti-American recently. And, that is not partisan, I would character a large swath of the left the same. I don't know of anyone (who matters) who is saying they should be arrested for what they say (though with Tulsi its more questionable, not her being a politician, but having a security clearance and being in a leadership role in a special unit, you lose some free speech in such a role, which is why I suspect as of last year she got out, but that is an assumption....).

I don't agree with the word treason as that has legal undertones. But, both have been anti-West recently, and people have every right to call them out on it. Tucker has been especially bad (again you expect it from him), essentially re-reading Russia propaganda (remember there is a leaked Kremlin memo that cites him as an important voice to have on American televisions, that is not coming from an ether, there is a tangible reason that Russia wants people who don't support Ukraine on television).

I don't know which "former Senator accused" Tucker of treason or the context, but I agree its unfair. But, former Senators accusing people that they do not like of treason is also not unheard of... Again, the key word there is former.

(I actually watched the interview with Tulsi and Tucker, and it went exactly as I thought it would).

The bottom line is Russia is wrong and saying there is some biolab with a pathogen that is endangering people (its only a danger because Russia is invading) is just beyond silly. Should we not have biolabs in any country Russia may feel like invading at some point in history (which is most of Asia and Europe). So many people are bending over backwards to justify the Russian invasion that its just sad.

Also, the fact that Tucker is allowed to speak on television shows there is no censorship or big bad machine. (If he lived in Russia and spoke about the Russian government that way he would be long gone). The fact that he is willing (and eager) to go on television each night and say such things shows he is in no true fear of his life.

Having different opinions is fine, parroting false propaganda is not. Again not illegal (nor should it be), but expect backlash from other free speech. Just like he has a right to be racist, but somebody who is racist can expect backlash after a rant.

Free speech cuts both ways.
March 15th, 2022 at 6:49:41 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: missedhervee
Russian law maker demands USA return Alaska and part of California to Russia as "reparations."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/russia-alaska-california-fort-reparations-sanctions

LOL, good luck with that...

Watch, tomorrow evening Tucker Carlson will be saying how we should just give up Alaska anyway and we should make repayments?

Hey, he may be supportive of reparations for once..... Progress?

And, its far from the most important point here, but how is something that Russia wanted to sell (and did sell), "seized"? Did 1860s America (on the brink of ruin from Civil War) really threaten the Russian Kingdom (at that time) so much? Please.....
March 15th, 2022 at 7:07:42 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Gandler
Tucker Carlson is essentially a conspiracy theorist, he is a mainstream Alex Jones, saying that he committed treason (which is a loaded term) would be expecting him to have any other worldview.

Tulsi Gabbard is another issue because she is a politician and until very recently a military member. So when she sides with the enemy it matters.

Both have been anti-American recently. And, that is not partisan, I would character a large swath of the left the same. I don't know of anyone (who matters) who is saying they should be arrested for what they say (though with Tulsi its more questionable, not her being a politician, but having a security clearance and being in a leadership role in a special unit, you lose some free speech in such a role, which is why I suspect as of last year she got out, but that is an assumption....).

I don't agree with the word treason as that has legal undertones. But, both have been anti-West recently, and people have every right to call them out on it. Tucker has been especially bad (again you expect it from him), essentially re-reading Russia propaganda (remember there is a leaked Kremlin memo that cites him as an important voice to have on American televisions, that is not coming from an ether, there is a tangible reason that Russia wants people who don't support Ukraine on television).

I don't know which "former Senator accused" Tucker of treason or the context, but I agree its unfair. But, former Senators accusing people that they do not like of treason is also not unheard of... Again, the key word there is former.

(I actually watched the interview with Tulsi and Tucker, and it went exactly as I thought it would).

The bottom line is Russia is wrong and saying there is some biolab with a pathogen that is endangering people (its only a danger because Russia is invading) is just beyond silly. Should we not have biolabs in any country Russia may feel like invading at some point in history (which is most of Asia and Europe). So many people are bending over backwards to justify the Russian invasion that its just sad.

Also, the fact that Tucker is allowed to speak on television shows there is no censorship or big bad machine. (If he lived in Russia and spoke about the Russian government that way he would be long gone). The fact that he is willing (and eager) to go on television each night and say such things shows he is in no true fear of his life.

Having different opinions is fine, parroting false propaganda is not. Again not illegal (nor should it be), but expect backlash from other free speech. Just like he has a right to be racist, but somebody who is racist can expect backlash after a rant.

Free speech cuts both ways.

I have heard both Gabbard and Carlson say that Russia’s invasion is wrong.

I did not mention censorship; do you think that is an issue?

I am fine with people opposing their points of view; I don’t have an opinion other than throwing around words like “treason” is a simpleton’s way of not wanting to counter an argument with a more persuasive one.

We have become a pile of disagreeable people instead of a group of people that disagree with each other.
March 15th, 2022 at 7:19:41 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

On many, many issues…

There is no treason
That's absurd, dumb and of all things, wrong
We are not at war with Russia
Tucker and Tulsi simply spread the same exact lies as the Russian propaganda machine.
A lot of this has to do with the Fox propaganda machine making sure their viewers don't see Biden as the loyal opposition but instead paint him as the evil enemy.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 15th, 2022 at 7:32:29 PM permalink
terapined
I have heard both Gabbard and Carlson say that Russia’s invasion is wrong.

I didn't hear that
What I did hear is that Russian media loves Tucker
Makes sense
"Kremlin memos urged Russian media to use Tucker Carlson clips – report | Fox News | The Guardian" https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2022/mar/14/kremlin-memos-russian-media-tucker-carlson-fox-news-mother-jones
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 15th, 2022 at 7:33:31 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
There is no treason
That's absurd, dumb and of all things, wrong
We are not at war with Russia
Tucker and Tulsi simply spread the same exact lies as the Russian propaganda machine.
A lot of this has to do with the Fox propaganda machine making sure their viewers don't see Biden as the loyal opposition but instead paint him as the evil enemy.

Hey that is pretty good did Xi Jinping write it for you?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 15th, 2022 at 7:43:47 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: kenarman
Hey that is pretty good did Xi Jinping write it for you?

Huh
Tucker did not commit treason. Just stupid.
You disagree ????????????