April 1st, 2022 at 7:25:59 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Quote: terapined
Quote: DRich
Quote: Tanko

'Ukrainian airstrike' on Russian soil destroys Russian oil depot

If this is true it sounds great to me to see Ukraine take the fight to Russia. Sadly, this is the type of propaganda that Russia wants so it can now show pictures of those evil Ukrainians bombing Russia. The Russian citizens will probably take offense and push Putin to retaliate.

Russian citizens have no say
American citizens have a say and pretty much stopped the Viet Nam war

I think that possibly the N. Vietnamese might have had something to do with the war ending as well.

Absolutely
Just as Ukraine has a bigger say in Russia getting out then Russian citizens that really have no say
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 3rd, 2022 at 2:14:28 PM permalink
terapined
Jesus H Christ
WTF
Sick sick sick
And to think Foxnews pushes Russian Propaganda

"Retaking Kyiv suburb, Ukraine troops find 280 in mass grave, 20 left dead on street"

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ukraine-retakes-towns-where-280-receive-mass-grave-burial-20-left-dead-on-street/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 3rd, 2022 at 2:30:46 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Jesus H Christ
WTF
Sick sick sick
And to think Foxnews pushes Russian Propaganda

"Retaking Kyiv suburb, Ukraine troops find 280 in mass grave, 20 left dead on street"

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ukraine-retakes-towns-where-280-receive-mass-grave-burial-20-left-dead-on-street/

Fox News is walking a strange line of both saying Biden is weak for not doing more, and Russia is actually right so we should not get involved. (Well to be fair this is mostly Tucker Carlson, at least from clips I have been shown, though he is basically Fox News....)

It makes no sense, conservative positions generally don't, but on this issue its troubling because they are defending mass killings (and an illegal war).
April 3rd, 2022 at 4:24:44 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Gandler
Fox News is walking a strange line of both saying Biden is weak for not doing more, and Russia is actually right so we should not get involved. (Well to be fair this is mostly Tucker Carlson, at least from clips I have been shown, though he is basically Fox News....)

It makes no sense, conservative positions generally don't, but on this issue its troubling because they are defending mass killings (and an illegal war).

I am a big believer in war is war, no rules. Of course i hate see civilians get killed, but to me anything goes because maybe it will help you win one day sooner.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 3rd, 2022 at 4:31:20 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: DRich
I am a big believer in war is war, no rules. Of course i hate see civilians get killed, but to me anything goes because maybe it will help you win one day sooner.

Well its a war that should not be fought at all (by Russia), and should not be fought in the way that it is (by Russia) if following the Just War Theory.

I disagree vehemently with all of that, but I accept that can be a logical position (if lacking ethics).

However, none of that is the issue here, its the coverage by American Media, to sugar coat aggressive actions by an enemy side. And, the hypocritical coverage, where the same program calls somebody weak for not acting against a side, then proceeds to defend that side.
April 4th, 2022 at 8:58:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I'm not a Tucker Carlson fan, to some degree this is due to the facial expressions he makes.

I'm sure he screwed the pooch in some way regarding comments on Russia and the pre-invasion situation

But I would consider the source before I believed all the crap that's being said about him on this
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 4th, 2022 at 9:17:08 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: odiousgambit
I'm not a Tucker Carlson fan, to some degree this is due to the facial expressions he makes.

I'm not a fan because he lies. He has a documentary out trying to prove Jan 6 riot was a FBI operation
The guy is disgusting
I don't give a crap about his facial expressions. They're meaningless
April 4th, 2022 at 11:13:33 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I call him "That F%cker Carlson."

Apt.
April 4th, 2022 at 3:41:42 PM permalink
Gandler
Not too long ago (by that I mean 10 or so years ago) I actually thought Tucker Carlson was decent for a conservative because he was pretty moderate on many issues and was a decent speaker who actually had a variety of guests on and allowed them to talk (he used to be on MSNBS in the mid 2000s). Granted I was also very young, so my perception may have been lacking, and I may have just liked his style.

However, once he moved to Fox he started to become extreme, but initially was not too bad (compared to today). And, then when Trump became President he went completely over the top. He became a populist overnight. And, now he is a complete conspiracy loon, so he came full circle. COVID, Russia, and the "Election Fraud" have certainly brought forward his true colors....

Its worth pointing out (and I only recently found this out), he applied for the CIA out of college and was rejected during the background check portion. Nobody knows why (probably not even him), he came from a rich family so its doubtful that it was due to compromising financial issues, and he has a clean criminal record so its unlikely that, so that pretty much leaves foreign connections or personality (or maybe even just his grades since he has said that he barely passed college, and since it was right after college with no work experience that is about all they can look at....). But, this would be back in the 90s, who knows how much that effects him today even if he did have foreign connections that were deemed potentially compromising.

I have never read a book by him. But, a writer that I love who is (was) a great liberal, Christopher Hitchens, was a fan of his writing (and I think even his friend), and said if he ever left writing and turned to television it would lead to a downward spiral (paraphrasing), and it seems that he was right.
(Actually I tried to find it, and this is an interview where he mentions him saying it, and interview where he is listing off conservative writers who he enjoys)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfSJw3TN0LM
April 4th, 2022 at 4:22:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler

Its worth pointing out (and I only recently found this out), he applied for the CIA out of college and was rejected during the background check portion. Nobody knows why (probably not even him), he came from a rich family so its doubtful that it was due to compromising financial issues, and he has a clean criminal record so its unlikely that, so that pretty much leaves foreign connections or personality (or maybe even just his grades since he has said that he barely passed college, and since it was right after college with no work experience that is about all they can look at....). But, this would be back in the 90s, who knows how much that effects him today even if he did have foreign connections that were deemed potentially compromising.

He would have given a list of people for references, and once they contact those people they ask those people for anyone else they think he knew or hung out with.

That lends itself to finding out things he may have wanted to avoid telling them about. Even if it ends up being nothing they would have disqualified him for, trying to hide things from the CIA isn't going to help you get a job where they need to have a lot of faith in your trustworthiness.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?