Ukraine conflict

March 31st, 2022 at 2:58:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
got $40 grand?

I at first thought they weren't showing what a shaped charge actually does, that maybe it was classified. But it is doing penetration in an ingenious way I wouldn't have expected. This is explained at 2:05

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 31st, 2022 at 6:41:12 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Russian doctors give glowing reviews of returning troops :-)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-troops-suffer-acute-radiation-sickness-after-digging-chernobyl-trenches

What a disaster for Putin. What a paper tiger. Before Ukraine, we had no idea of the total incompetence of the Russian Army. Putin just exposed Russia's weakness. No doubt this has rocked Putin to his soul. He's a dangerous laughingstock.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 31st, 2022 at 11:04:23 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Keystone Cops; the Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight; Three Stooges: the Russian army today.

I feel sorry for those conscripts, just as I felt for draftees going to 'Nam.
March 31st, 2022 at 3:07:09 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
So I have made a lot of comments about the skills of the Ukrainian Army (and even random people fighting alongside them). But, I have not really did much reading on their air force.

Their air force is outdated (as is expected). However, recent articles I have been reading have shown that even their smaller and far outdated air force is decimating Russia in the Skies.

https://www.forces.net/ukraine/news/how-ukraine-outperforming-russias-air-force

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2022/03/29/the-russian-air-force-is-losing-its-best-jets-over-ukraine/?sh=7d9c6ccb42d5

It would seem military personnel in Ukraine are just better. I don't know if this is training, leadership, education, the survival instinct of literally fighting for your country, or a combination, but in the Air and on the ground servicemember for servicemember, Ukraine is just better (and not to bash the point to death, but with far inferior equipment).

The third piece of the puzzle is their Navy, and I have not heard/seen much on that to be honest. And, this is more complicated because unlike soldiers on the ground or fighter planes, ships are massive operations, that require dozens to thousands of personnel to run, so individual skill and willpower is probably less a factor on this front (I could be wrong).

This is just more proof that we should be working to get planes to them, not stopping planes from getting to them.
April 1st, 2022 at 12:39:16 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's being reported that Russian soldiers who dug trenches at Chernobyl have returned to Russia with massive radiation poisoning. Are the Russians really that stupid? Bald and bankrupt on YouTube went to Chernobyl last year or two years ago and everywhere they went they had to use a geiger counter cuz the place is hot. You can't spend any time let alone digging in the ground because that's where the radiation is. Idiots.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 1st, 2022 at 3:03:50 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Cab driver from Chernobyl told me they opened a cemetery there for 50,000, before the meltdown. They expected would take fifty years to fill.

After the meltdown, the cemetery was full in only three years.

'Ukrainian airstrike' on Russian soil destroys Russian oil depot
April 1st, 2022 at 5:20:23 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Tanko

If this is true it sounds great to me to see Ukraine take the fight to Russia. Sadly, this is the type of propaganda that Russia wants so it can now show pictures of those evil Ukrainians bombing Russia. The Russian citizens will probably take offense and push Putin to retaliate.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 1st, 2022 at 5:43:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich

If this is true it sounds great to me to see Ukraine take the fight to Russia. Sadly, this is the type of propaganda that Russia wants so it can now show pictures of those evil Ukrainians bombing Russia. The Russian citizens will probably take offense and push Putin to retaliate.

Russian citizens have no say
American citizens have a say and pretty much stopped the Viet Nam war
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 1st, 2022 at 6:05:58 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined

Of course Russian citizens have a say. They can speak out and fight the regime, potentially to their own peril, over throw the government and start over. It would take a long hard battle but if you look through history for thousands of years that is how it has been done.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 1st, 2022 at 7:00:45 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined

I think that possibly the N. Vietnamese might have had something to do with the war ending as well.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin