Is Covid over?

December 6th, 2022 at 8:59:14 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rquiredusername
When did you move your goalposts from evidence to proof?

I’ll assume it’s when you were provided with evidence.

I'll look at evidence
But
Bear in mind I'm no virus expert and will always defer to experts.
This ain't politics
It's science
Complicated science
The more complicated, the more I defer to the scientific experts in that particular field and experts I know in the general field such as Dr Soopoo.
This is extremely complicated.
Personal beliefs drive my opinion on politics
Expert beliefs drive my opinion on anything science related.
Provide evidence and I'll see what conclusions the experts come to

To believe something with no compelling evidence is fine as long as you can admit you don't have compelling evidence.
Take JFK
I think it was a conspiracy
I have no compelling evidence and readily admit that
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 6th, 2022 at 10:40:14 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
I'll look at evidence
But
This ain't politics
It's science
Complicated science
The more complicated, the more I defer to the scientific experts in that particular field and experts I know in the general field such as Dr Soopoo.

To believe something with no compelling evidence is fine as long as you can admit you don't have compelling evidence.
Take JFK

Monica Lewinsky (somewhat unwittingly) practically took down a president just by a few actins. She didn’t dry clean that dress. And she was silent while Bill made-up stories about how she was lying about being his affair. The dress evidence so undermined Clinton she didn’t have to do anything to refute anything he claimed about her. It all collapsed.

Probably best evidence without a trial.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2022 at 11:08:32 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
Monica Lewinsky (somewhat unwittingly) practically took down a president just by a few actins. She didn’t dry clean that dress. And she was silent while Bill made-up stories about how she was lying about being his affair. The dress evidence so undermined Clinton she didn’t have to do anything to refute anything he claimed about her. It all collapsed.

Probably best evidence without a trial.

I don't recall, was it ever DNA tested and matched to Bill?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 6th, 2022 at 12:27:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
I don't recall, was it ever DNA tested and matched to Bill?

When you know you don't have the ammunition to shoot your way out, you just throw your hands up and surrender. Unless you're ready to die on that hill.

I think he knew and didn't bother to want a confirmation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2022 at 12:30:32 PM permalink
rxwine
If he hadn't made himself a scumbag by trying to blame her, he probably would have garnered more support.
December 6th, 2022 at 2:38:19 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
When you know you don't have the ammunition to shoot your way out, you just throw your hands up and surrender. Unless you're ready to die on that hill.

I think he knew and didn't bother to want a confirmation.

That is what I assumed but it has been so long I don't remember the details.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 6th, 2022 at 7:28:11 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I'll look at evidence
But
This ain't politics
It's science
Complicated science

Take JFK

"The idea that the pandemic virus might have accidentally leaked from a lab was never implausible. We now know through FOIA’ed emails that numerous virologists and infectious diseases experts worried in private that the virus had come from a lab in Wuhan. One Major General and former president of American Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene who had bought the market story wrote in April 2020: “The flimsiness of the epidemiology pointing to the wet market, the absence of bats in the market, the failure to identify an intermediate animal host, the extraordinary measures taken by the Chinese government… to cover up the outbreak, the steps taken to silence the laboratory personnel, the change in leadership of the lab, all point to the lab as the source of the outbreak.”

How many scientific experts do you want?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 7th, 2022 at 3:49:41 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Apparently your proof is very very weak.
If you can't convince our resident Dr Soopoo, a real Dr, how can you expect to convince me?????????
Wikipedia is not gospel, it simply reflects facts in the public domain and of course dismisses right wing fake alternate facts :-)
I'll go with facts
You going with fake alternate facts :-)

Well, since Ed brought me into this…. I think it will be difficult to prove or disprove anything about the origin of this coronavirus. The people presenting their ‘proof’ all have different agendas. It would be hard for me to trust either side. I don’t necessarily think Kenarman is wrong, or that terapined is wrong. Both hypotheses are reasonable at face value. Frankly, I don’t have a strong opinion on the origin of the coronavirus that caused COVID 19.
If you made me pick a side, I’d go not man made. The fact that it mutates so freely (look at all the variants) is circumstantial evidence to me.
December 7th, 2022 at 5:44:42 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: SOOPOO
Well, since Ed brought me into this…. I think it will be difficult to prove or disprove anything about the origin of this coronavirus. The people presenting their ‘proof’ all have different agendas. It would be hard for me to trust either side. I don’t necessarily think Kenarman is wrong, or that terapined is wrong. Both hypotheses are reasonable at face value. Frankly, I don’t have a strong opinion on the origin of the coronavirus that caused COVID 19.
If you made me pick a side, I’d go not man made. The fact that it mutates so freely (look at all the variants) is circumstantial evidence to me.

You only need one careless person or idiot at a firework's factory to ruin it for everyone. If they are involved in dangerous work, I hope they know enough to add more layers of security to reduce the probability of release.
December 7th, 2022 at 7:53:10 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: SOOPOO

"One bombshell revelation came in the fall of 2021, when it emerged that Wuhan and US scientists had proposed a unique experiment that could have plausibly led to the creation of the pandemic virus. A document sent to the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in March 2018 stated that the scientists would introduce a special feature called furin cleavage sites into SARS-like viruses and assess how these viruses could grow in human cells in the lab. Live SARS-like viruses would be generated using established techniques based on what they found in nature. Less than two years after Wuhan and US scientists had pitched this experiment, a SARS-like virus with a furin cleavage site was causing an outbreak in Wuhan.

One virologist who had worked with the original 2003 SARS virus said of the proposal, “Whether that particular study did or didn’t [lead to the pandemic], it certainly could have… You can’t call back the virus once you release it into the environment.”

The rarity of such a pathogen cannot be overstated. Close to two decades of searching for novel SARS-like viruses has not unveiled any of their kind with a furin cleavage site. Every close relative reported so far is missing this unique feature which confers the virus with pandemic powers."

The scary part for me is that information like this should have been presented in the US MSM and people could choose to believe it or not. But censorship by .Gov is now ubiquitous in the MSM and they try to not let anything that might upset their scenarios from even seeing the light of day.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin