Bad/Worst Presidents?

Page 2 of 5<12345>

Thread Rating:

April 19th, 2022 at 2:18:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Not at all a good reason. Have to look at what he accomplished. New NAFTA to Space Force to great response to china virus. Energy independence. Working to protect the border. He will be a bit like Harry Truman in history, people asking why he was so unpopular for all he did.

I will keep saying it, the "worst" rankings boil down to "they don't like him."

Trump is such a bad president that he's leading in every poll for 2024. Whereas Captain Poopypants couldn't get elected dog catcher if he tried to run.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 19th, 2022 at 2:28:05 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
It is already established that Trump will be one of the worst Presidents in history for all of our lifetimes. He will stay in the bottom five of rankings for at least 100 years. The most impressive thing he will be able to do, is not be in the bottom two in some rankings.
(Really the only Presidents that are ranked worse sometimes are people whose main focus was keeping slavery legal):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States

Really the only categories he does well in are "public persuasion" and "willing to take risks", but he still balances out to be in the bottom 5 every time....

Anyone who thinks he will be regarded as a great President in 100 years is not living in reality. He will be lucky if he can get out of the bottom three.

And, this is not political, some conservatives consistently rank good (Reagon, Eisenhower), and some liberals consistently rank poorly (Carter), so you can see trends.
April 19th, 2022 at 2:29:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
It is already established that Trump will be one of the worst Presidents in history for all of our lifetimes. He will stay in the bottom five of rankings for at least 100 years. The most impressive thing he will be able to do, is not be in the bottom two in some rankings.
(Really the only Presidents that are ranked worse sometimes are people whose main focus was keeping slavery legal):

Established among liberals. Among the general population not so much. Keep reading the liberal rankings if it makes you feel better.
The President is a fink.
April 19th, 2022 at 2:45:56 PM permalink
Gandler
Established among liberals. Among the general population not so much. Keep reading the liberal rankings if it makes you feel better.

Can you cite a ranking from a conservative website (or one you view is not liberal) that breaks down Presidential activity in tangible metrics and ranks all former Presidents?

Is C-Span liberal? Or public opinion rankings (Gallup, etc...)?

I am happy to look at any ranking by any site that explains their methodology.
April 19th, 2022 at 2:50:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Can you cite a ranking from a conservative website (or one you view is not liberal) that breaks down Presidential activity in tangible metrics and ranks all former Presidents?

Is C-Span liberal? Or public opinion rankings (Gallup, etc...)?

I am happy to look at any ranking by any site that explains their methodology.

First off, nobody serious would rank a POTUS out of office less than 20 years. People and places that do are just low budget tabloids begging for attention.

I do not waste my life looking for POTUS rankings. I do challenge ones that make silly rankings like you are posting. No person who has passed 8th grade could take making Trump 2nd worst seriously. Well, the Trump haters might, but I do not take them serious intellectually.

If you want to give some actual reasons for such a low ranking for Trump I am happy to debate. But be prepared.
The President is a fink.
April 19th, 2022 at 3:03:13 PM permalink
Gandler
First off, nobody serious would rank a POTUS out of office less than 20 years. People and places that do are just low budget tabloids begging for attention.

I do not waste my life looking for POTUS rankings. I do challenge ones that make silly rankings like you are posting. No person who has passed 8th grade could take making Trump 2nd worst seriously. Well, the Trump haters might, but I do not take them serious intellectually.

If you want to give some actual reasons for such a low ranking for Trump I am happy to debate. But be prepared.

I don't know if he is the worst in history. But, I can easily say he is either the worst or second worst in my lifetime (Clinton may be slightly worse on some issues so its a toss up).

My reasons are: he is a liar (beyond an average political person), did not act Presidential (use of social media in a not appropriate manner), carried through with very few promises, diminished America's oversees footprint, failed to reform healthcare even when they had the majority, less NATO funding, being soft towards Russia, being divisive.

The pros are: Space Force (which I give large credit for because it was a big deal), and some more funding for Border Patrol (I am a liberal who likes borders, so I did not even hate his wall idea, though he failed at it like most of his construction projects....).

-This is all stuff from the top of my head, so I did not go through and look at each one in the posting of this, I am sure some points can be nitpicked-

But, my overall impression is his failures outweigh his success, and his damage outweighs his progress.

I am not a partisan, Bush is one of my favorite Presidents. I have no issue praising people in the other party if I genuinely admire them (though Trump even before be was President was about the last person that I could ever admire, so maybe I am biased against him, because I have hated him most of my life, serial conman, but I am willing to put that aside and speak strictly on action while President).
April 19th, 2022 at 3:30:55 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Sorry AZD, but history will not overlook Jan. 6th: THAT will be "The Trump Legacy."
April 20th, 2022 at 4:23:22 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
.....less NATO funding,...

Trump got NATO members to pay their fair share and increase their contributions by $130 billion.

He reduced the US contribution by $150 million, but increased US spending on the European Defense Initiative to $17 billion. 300% higher than the the amount spent by the previous administration.

"Under Trump, NATO Nations Get More U.S. Troops And Military Spending" - NPR
April 20th, 2022 at 4:48:05 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: missedhervee
I don't see it as the Fed's fault as they're opting for inflation instead of recession.

It's their fault. Why inject $120 billion into the economy every month, when the unemployment rate is 3.6% and there are a supposed 11 million jobs available?

Why keep the Fed Funds rate near zero, when inflation is at its highest rate in forty years?

Inflation leads to recession.

It leads to higher interest rates, a decline in real wages and consumer spending, debt saturation, declining investment and innovation, decline in commerce and business activity. In response, the Fed will raise interest rates which will slow the economy further.

Although inflation was not the sole cause of the 2008 recession, it led to it, by causing a decline in real wages, which set off the credit crunch, falling home values, bank collapses and a decline in world trade.

The inflation we're currently seeing is a result of government spending and energy policy.

It could be much higher, but banks are hoarding trillions. GS $953 billion. JPM $1.4 trillion. BAC $778 billion.
April 20th, 2022 at 5:39:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: missedhervee
Sorry AZD, but history will not overlook Jan. 6th: THAT will be "The Trump Legacy."

Jan 6 is already forgotten by all but liberals. It will be a footnote in the history books.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 5<12345>