Bad/Worst Presidents?

Page 5 of 5« First<2345

Thread Rating:

April 21st, 2022 at 10:25:54 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Riverjordan
Technically, Ukraine/Russia is not Biden or America's problem. It is a war between two other Countries. We aren't involved in that War. As long as we don't get rolled into it, it isn't our problem.

A very naïve comment. The Ukraine war is definitely influencing our politics. How much money do you think our government has already invested in it? I would guess close to $10 billion (with that we could have bought 25% of Twitter).
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 21st, 2022 at 10:55:55 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Channeling "the domino theory."
April 21st, 2022 at 12:22:39 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: DRich
A very naïve comment. The Ukraine war is definitely influencing our politics. How much money do you think our government has already invested in it? I would guess close to $10 billion (with that we could have bought 25% of Twitter).

The said somewhere on the news today that with the latest commitment, we have about $3.5 billion into the war.
April 21st, 2022 at 1:53:51 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: RonC
The said somewhere on the news today that with the latest commitment, we have about $3.5 billion into the war.

I thought I read 13.5 billion this morning, but that could be wrong. (But maybe that number was a combo of NATO countries).

I would also guess its at least 10 billion (from U.S. specifically), if I had to guess purely on the stuff that has been sent.

But, people also have to remember Ukraine is one of our largest recipients of aid (even before the war), so we have a vested interest to increase spending once things start. (I think its the largest recipient in Europe, obviously some African and Middle Eastern countries need more military aid).
April 21st, 2022 at 2:04:56 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Gandler
I thought I read 13.5 billion this morning, but that could be wrong. (But maybe that number was a combo of NATO countries).

I would also guess its at least 10 billion (from U.S. specifically), if I had to guess purely on the stuff that has been sent.

But, people also have to remember Ukraine is one of our largest recipients of aid (even before the war), so we have a vested interest to increase spending once things start. (I think its the largest recipient in Europe, obviously some African and Middle Eastern countries need more military aid).

I have seen that number, too, but I think the number that I saw on the news reflected more of what is there already or in process. Of course, we don’t really know because, well, it probably is not good to publicly announce everything we are doing…
April 22nd, 2022 at 6:22:31 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: RonC

I saw that also but that was just military supplies sent to Ukraine, not all the money we have spent. Just think of all the political time and the number of people working on it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 25th, 2022 at 5:06:17 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Riverjordan
Let's face it, we were on Top financial wise under Donald Trump until Covid came suddenly and caused a massive loss of jobs. If Covid never happened, Donald would have seem extremely favorable financial wise. Businesses were booming under his Presidency until Covid.

It's a good thing the economy was as strong as it was when Covid struck. The effect on the economy would have been much worse with a weak economy.

Under Trump, we saw real wages increase at the fastest pace in history. Since Biden took office, we are seeing real wages fall at the fastest pace in history.

They would be falling a lot faster if he succeeded in getting that corporate tax increase he wanted.
April 25th, 2022 at 5:51:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
It's a good thing the economy was as strong as it was when Covid struck. The effect on the economy would have been much worse with a weak economy.

Under Trump, we saw real wages increase at the fastest pace in history. Since Biden took office, we are seeing real wages fall at the fastest pace in history.

They would be falling a lot faster if he succeeded in getting that corporate tax increase he wanted.

Reality
The economy is global with Presidents having very little impact.
A tax cut cannot offset a war Europe
ROTFL
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 25th, 2022 at 10:37:08 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: terapined
A tax cut cannot offset a war Europe

If Trump were still president there wouldn't be a protracted war in Ukraine: Trump would have helped his buddy Putin to squelch those "evil Nazis."
Page 5 of 5« First<2345