2 votes (15.38%)
2 votes (15.38%)
No votes (0%)

13 members have voted

December 29th, 2023 at 9:38:37 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
I NEVER say that Trump’s actions in and around the last election were smart. He’s certainly an unhinged individual.
I’m asking a different question. Which all I hear is dancing around..

If the Democrats are so sure an ‘insurrection’ took place, how come NO ONE has been charged with INSURRECTION?
They want to disqualify someone for leading an insurrection , but can’t charge ANYONE with that crime? Please……

As far as the failed analogy of me seeing someone rob my house, YES, if there is video evidence of the crime, and it is clear who the perpetrators are, I would expect the criminals to be charged with that crime! Wouldn’t you?

All this talk about Trump is just a distraction away from what is really important for the country. Ask the Democrat Mayors of Chicago, Denver, and New York what the REAL problems facing this country are? Ask anyone paying $2 for the $1 can of soup what is important. Etc….

There is no dancing around, it has been stated several times that he has never been convicted of insurrection.

What people are evaluating is if a conviction is required or if it is the general action that can be DQing. And, also personally I do not think he should be DQed (without reading more on some Civil War cases, I am open to change.)

It is really not a distraction, he is almost certainly going to win the primary. It is fair to talk about the criminal actions of somebody who is quite likely (basically certainly) going to be the GOP nominee (and frankly somewhat likely to win the Presidency because of our antiquated electoral college. He will never win a popular vote, but sadly that does not matter in America...)
December 29th, 2023 at 10:02:02 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: RonC
I don't think that Trump should be barred from appearing on the ballot. Why don't we let the people speak?

I still hope that both he and Biden step back, but both are stubborn old fools and will do no such thing.

The people and the country are best served by allowing the people to vote for legally qualified candidates of their choice. The people can speak about any qualified candidate they wish. And if Donnie is DQ'd due the 14th Amendment, then he must not be on the ballot. No more than George W, or Bill Clinton or Obama (all ineligible) should be allowed on the ballot.

As for both Donnie and Biden dropping out. I hear you. Don't like either candidate? Then use the power of our vote to vote for someone else. That's another way we let the people speak.
December 29th, 2023 at 10:07:32 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: Gandler
What people are evaluating is if a conviction is required or if it is the general action that can be DQing. And, also personally I do not think he should be DQed (without reading more on some Civil War cases, I am open to change.)

Some reading about the people thus far who have been DQ'd from office. Of the 8 men, 5 were never convicted of anything and their DQ was upheld.

https://www.citizensforethics.org/reports-investigations/crew-reports/past-14th-amendment-disqualifications/
December 29th, 2023 at 10:07:32 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
December 29th, 2023 at 11:17:22 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
If we are ignoring constitutional amendments barring people from ballots, Barack Obama must be allowed to run for a 3rd term. Who cares what the 22nd amendment says? Let the voters decide!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 29th, 2023 at 11:50:57 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: ams288
If we are ignoring constitutional amendments barring people from ballots, Barack Obama must be allowed to run for a 3rd term. Who cares what the 22nd amendment says? Let the voters decide!

My point exactly!
December 29th, 2023 at 11:50:57 AM permalink
GenoDRPh

My point exactly!
December 29th, 2023 at 1:13:20 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I don't think anyone is "ignoring" a Constitutional Amendment. Amendments are open to interpretation and many, even most, may believe that the current issues does not meet the intent and/or letter of the Amendment in question. The remedy to that is the Supreme Court. They can choose to not take cases and let rulings stand by their rejection of the cases or they can take the case and make a ruling.

Is there a case for President Obama to challenge his disqualification for further service in that office? Go for it if there is!

My vote will not go to Trump or Biden, so I will use the ballot box to reject both of them. I doubt it will matter much in my state.
December 29th, 2023 at 1:23:28 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I agree that this is absolutely an issue the SCOTUS needs to resolve. It’s an extremely gray area. The fact that people are saying it’s a slam dunk either way are slightly delusional. (Or maybe it is a slam dunk only because our SCOTUS is full of corrupt idiots like Clarence Thomas).
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 29th, 2023 at 1:26:27 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
(Or maybe it is a slam dunk only because our SCOTUS is full of corrupt idiots like Clarence Thomas).

Sadly, it reflects the population of idiots that we have.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.