2 votes (15.38%)
2 votes (15.38%)
No votes (0%)

13 members have voted

December 28th, 2023 at 7:49:09 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
If you believe Trump participated in the ‘event’, why have NONE of the other people who CLEARLY participated in the event been charged with insurrection!?! NONE. Not ONE. You (and most media) continue to use the word insurrection.

Please explain to me why NO ONE has been charged with that crime? Did I miss one?

He gave a pretty good explanation, if it was true (I honestly do not know the history offhand.) But, if the section was written to discuss actions as opposed to a legal charge that would be interesting. I would have to read more about how it was used in post Civil War election disqualifications (and if a legal conviction was required.) But, if this is an accurate representation of the history, then a charge and conviction would not be needed.

I know I have posted before, but treason and insurrection are rare charges. By rare, I mean the factor of many decades, not years since the last charge. I think the last treason charge was WWII era, and insurrection, I have no idea (probably Civil War, maybe WWI because they got pretty aggressive with such charges during WWI.) But, either way these are extreme charges usually in the context of a massive war (usually it means you are siding with an external enemy, I am not sure if they have ever been prosecuted for siding with a rogue political group -Well I guess it depends on how you define the CSA..... -)

A quick google search confirmed that somebody during the civil war was tried and executed for tearing down an American Flag after the Union liberation of New Orleans. But, this is one of the few examples of a civilian political activist I can quickly find. And, this was debatably far less of a crime than what happened on 06JAN. Now would somebody be executed for tearing down a flag today? Probably not But, compared to 06JAN, this is a minor action that was deemed to be worthy of a death penalty.
December 28th, 2023 at 8:08:14 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler
He gave a pretty good explanation, if it was true (I honestly do not know the history offhand.) But, if the section was written to discuss actions as opposed to a legal charge that would be interesting. I would have to read more about how it was used in post Civil War election disqualifications (and if a legal conviction was required.) But, if this is an accurate representation of the history, then a charge and conviction would not be needed.

I know I have posted before, but treason and insurrection are rare charges. By rare, I mean the factor of many decades, not years since the last charge. I think the last treason charge was WWII era, and insurrection, I have no idea (probably Civil War, maybe WWI because they got pretty aggressive with such charges during WWI.) But, either way these are extreme charges usually in the context of a massive war (usually it means you are siding with an external enemy, I am not sure if they have ever been prosecuted for siding with a rogue political group -Well I guess it depends on how you define the CSA..... -)

A quick google search confirmed that somebody during the civil war was tried and executed for tearing down an American Flag after the Union liberation of New Orleans. But, this is one of the few examples of a civilian political activist I can quickly find. And, this was debatably far less of a crime than what happened on 06JAN. Now would somebody be executed for tearing down a flag today? Probably not But, compared to 06JAN, this is a minor action that was deemed to be worthy of a death penalty.

That’s a lot of word salad. I’m not asking if Trump has been charged or convicted of insurrection. I’m asking how is it possible that there was an insurrection, with lots of video of the event, and NOT A SINGLE PERSON has been charged with insurrection? NOT ONE. If you believe there was an insurrection, and want to disqualify a person who wasn’t at the ‘insurrection’, shouldn’t SOMEONE be charged and convicted of insurrection? Are you saying there wasn’t evidence of an insurrection? Or it’s just not important enough if a crime to ACTUALLY charge someone with?!?

Can you answer that simple question? (Maybe questions….)
December 28th, 2023 at 8:40:38 PM permalink
Gandler
That’s a lot of word salad. I’m not asking if Trump has been charged or convicted of insurrection. I’m asking how is it possible that there was an insurrection, with lots of video of the event, and NOT A SINGLE PERSON has been charged with insurrection? NOT ONE. If you believe there was an insurrection, and want to disqualify a person who wasn’t at the ‘insurrection’, shouldn’t SOMEONE be charged and convicted of insurrection? Are you saying there wasn’t evidence of an insurrection? Or it’s just not important enough if a crime to ACTUALLY charge someone with?!?

Can you answer that simple question? (Maybe questions….)

I don't think a single person has been charged with insurrection since 1865. It is not a commonly used charge even in extreme cases.

Trump has been charged with (and indicted) trying to defraud the United States Government and Disrupt an Official proceeding. (And several dozen other criminal charges related to tax issues and other election issues -like calling States to find ballots.)

https://apnews.com/trump-election-2020-indictment

I simply do not know if insurrection is a charge that is used in the modern world, hence my historical narrative. But, in the simple definition of "leading or participating in an uprising against an established authority", I have zero doubt that Trump committed this action (and apparently at least several judges and Secretaries of State share this view.)

So no, he has not been convicted or charged with insurrection, as you surely know, because there probably are not any pending insurrection charges since the 1860s. But, he is charged with probably the closest thing a President can be charged with (read the charges for yourself, that is a direct link to the primary source.)

As for being disqualified, I said I honestly do not know. Some people are citing the history of action rather than legal charge/conviction. Granted this was a mass issue during the ACW, and I am not claiming 06JAN was quite that extreme.
December 28th, 2023 at 9:00:59 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I don’t give a hoot if no one has been charged since the 1800’s! If you are going to disqualify a man convicted of nothing the right to run for President due to him being part of an insurrection, I don’t think it’s too much to ask to at least charge ONE PERSON with insurrection. It’s on the books. If you have the evidence, charge someone! If not, STFU!

I trust more in the people of Maine to not vote for Trump than the SINGLE INDIVIDUAL that ruled Trump ineligible.

Frankly, this is another STUPID way for the Democrats to try and win. How pathetic they and their candidate must be that they are trying these tactics rather than just appeal to THE VOTERS.
December 28th, 2023 at 9:05:38 PM permalink
Gandler
I don’t give a hoot if no one has been charged since the 1800’s! If you are going to disqualify a man convicted of nothing the right to run for President due to him being part of an insurrection, I don’t think it’s too much to ask to at least charge ONE PERSON with insurrection. It’s on the books. If you have the evidence, charge someone! If not, STFU!

I trust more in the people of Maine to not vote for Trump than the SINGLE INDIVIDUAL that ruled Trump ineligible.

Frankly, this is another STUPID way for the Democrats to try and win. How pathetic they and their candidate must be that they are trying these tactics rather than just appeal to THE VOTERS.

Almost as stupid and pathetic as calling dozens of election officials and insisting that they change the local results. And, then threatening your VP to pressure him not to certify the results while leading a mob storming the capitol.
December 28th, 2023 at 9:25:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

I can't help but think if you saw someone steal something from your house you could claim it wasn't stealing if the police didn't charge him. Even if you saw it actually happen. We know Trump used all available legal options and that's not a problem, but didn't stop there, and that's the problem.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 29th, 2023 at 1:44:05 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Imagine if you lived in Maine and got accused of anything.

Imagine if you were an intimate partner with a dictator.

She can't even see self, much like Biden.

It's a subconscious tactic, to accuse another of something self is guilty of.

---------------

It shouldn’t be up to the Governor or any other one person whether or not you have the right to vote. We are proud that in Maine every citizen has the right to vote regardless of current or former incarceration.

-- Shenna Bellows

---------------

This one is pretty obvious:

-------------------

FBI finds no evidence that Trump and his allies were directly involved with organizing the violence of the Capitol riot: report

August 20, 2021
-- The FBI has found no evidence that Trump was directly involved in organizing Capitol-riot violence.

-- It also found little evidence of an organized plot to overturn the election results.

-- "Ninety to ninety-five percent of these are one-off cases," said one former official.
https://news.yahoo.com/fbi-finds-no-evidence-trump-153636457.html

-------------------

Accusations can show what self is guilty of:

----------------------

Trump poses many threats to our country: The right to choose, civil rights, voting rights, and America’s standing in the world...

-- Joe Biden

---------------------
December 29th, 2023 at 4:12:23 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
If you believe Trump participated in the ‘event’, why have NONE of the other people who CLEARLY participated in the event been charged with insurrection!?! NONE. Not ONE. You (and most media) continue to use the word insurrection.

Please explain to me why NO ONE has been charged with that crime? Did I miss one?

Aren't a few people rolling on him?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 29th, 2023 at 4:14:30 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

It actually makes one wonder why they couldn't just, 'rig the results,' again.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 29th, 2023 at 4:25:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Mission146
It actually makes one wonder why they couldn't just, 'rig the results,' again.
Plan B
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]