Griner swap

Page 11 of 12« First<89101112>
December 12th, 2022 at 4:09:29 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Gandler

No, its a song deemed important enough to be labeled the National Anthem (and the most recognized anthem in the world).

That would surprise me, I would think either a Chinese or Indian would be the most recognized just because of the population discrepancy.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 12th, 2022 at 4:26:40 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DRich
That would surprise me, I would think either a Chinese or Indian would be the most recognized just because of the population discrepancy.

I've always heard that worldwide the U.S. Anthem is the most well-known (primarily due to the fact that it is played in so many highly watched sporting events, and many movies), and also it's age (much older than China, India, and Russia), but its not a hill I would die on. With population growth (and media expansion), its possible in the modern world China is more well known.

I don't really want to fixate on the anthem because its not my primary point (on this topic). It was a bad trade, there were better trades offered in the past, and even those would be bad trades, this trade was next level bad.
December 12th, 2022 at 5:29:40 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
The pothead for the merchant of death deal will lead to more Americans being held hostage.

Putin arrested Whelan in 2018, hoping to trade him for Bout. Trump refused to trade.

“I turned down a deal with Russia for a one-on-one swap of the so-called Merchant of Death for Paul Whelan,” the former president wrote on Truth Social. “I wouldn’t have made the deal for a hundred people in exchange for someone that has killed untold numbers of people with his arms deals."
December 12th, 2022 at 7:22:24 PM permalink
Gandler
John Bolton makes an interesting overarching point if exchanges are ever justified, or if Americans should only be freed by honest force:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eugucs--TlM

"Personally I wouldn't trade Victor Bout for anybody"

It's certainly a unique point, some would probably say it's too pro-conflict. But, it also avoids unfair trades.

I am always impressed by how strong Bolton has been on foreign policy for so many years.
December 13th, 2022 at 4:35:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko

Putin arrested Whelan in 2018, hoping to trade him for Bout. Trump refused to trade.

“I turned down a deal with Russia for a one-on-one swap of the so-called Merchant of Death for Paul Whelan,” the former president wrote on Truth Social. “I wouldn’t have made the deal for a hundred people in exchange for someone that has killed untold numbers of people with his arms deals."

Wow
Trump should have made the trade
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 13th, 2022 at 4:35:42 AM permalink
DRich

Why does everybody say Griner was wrongfully taken? She broke a law, admitted it, and plead guilty, doesn't sound wrongful to me.
December 13th, 2022 at 4:59:49 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: DRich

Why does everybody say Griner was wrongfully taken? She broke a law, admitted it, and plead guilty, doesn't sound wrongful to me.

She received steeper charges (trafficking as opposed to possession) for what was clearly a personal vape and a small amount of TCH oil (or whatever the term is). This is how they were able to get her in prison for so long.

I agree she plead guilty, but she probably was advised to and did not have much of a choice.

If she was arrested for possession and received a small fine or a few weeks in jail I don't think anyone would say it's unfair. But, she was clearly given a harsher charge (and sentence) than a Russian would have received.

She was also at the airport, so customs could have simply seized the items and barred her from entering the country.
December 13th, 2022 at 11:14:06 AM permalink
DRich
She received steeper charges (trafficking as opposed to possession) for what was clearly a personal vape and a small amount of TCH oil (or whatever the term is). This is how they were able to get her in prison for so long.

I agree she plead guilty, but she probably was advised to and did not have much of a choice.

If she was arrested for possession and received a small fine or a few weeks in jail I don't think anyone would say it's unfair. But, she was clearly given a harsher charge (and sentence) than a Russian would have received.

She was also at the airport, so customs could have simply seized the items and barred her from entering the country.

As I said, she was not wrongfully arrested or held.

From what I have read her sentence was a little harsher than normal but not unusual for that crime in Russia. Us Americans just think everybody should act like us.
December 13th, 2022 at 11:55:57 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

So that is how you would like the US treat drug smugglers? Seize the drugs and send the smugglers back home. It isn't what is done now.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 13th, 2022 at 1:00:47 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: kenarman
So that is how you would like the US treat drug smugglers? Seize the drugs and send the smugglers back home. It isn't what is done now.

I am all for the criminal being treated exactly like a local would be if they did the crime. I would have no problem if a U.S. citizen shoplifter got their hand chopped off in Qatar if that is what the sentence would be for a Qatari.
Page 11 of 12« First<89101112>