Griner swap

December 10th, 2022 at 3:07:32 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
That fortune article is the main problem with journalism today. Few want to do real research because searching the internet is easier. It's the Tyler Durden effect. Tyler Durden does no original research for a story. He simply scrapes the internet every morning looking for a story to write. That's what a lot of so-called journalists do these days, just scrape the internet to write a story.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 10th, 2022 at 5:37:30 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
The Britney Griner swap was the first trade in WNBA history that anyone cared about.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 10th, 2022 at 7:44:02 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
Getting back to the subject…..

An American citizen was arrested and convicted in Russia for breaking a Russian law. I don’t even think Griner or our Biden administration disputes this. She was sentenced to 9 years which is apparently within the judge’s discretion in Russia where she committed the crime.

We had in custody, a man so bad he has been nicknamed ‘Merchant of Death’. He has 15 years left on his prison sentence. We used an intricate multi-national operation to ensnare him and extradite him and convict him.

We granted this man of evil his freedom for her freedom. Left out of my diatribe is the obvious fact that she was used by Russia as a pawn. We let them win. I’m sure they will use this blueprint again. Now that Biden caved, why wouldn’t they?

I agree with this, at first I was supportive of the Griner swap, but the more that I read about it the more I realized we vastly overpaid for somebody who is not even pro-American.

International Terrorist Supplier (whi somehow seemed to supply every major conflict in the 80s) or a Female Basketball Star, its no question which has more strategic value.

It's also worth pointing out, she chose to play on Russia for the money, she was not there for any reason other than financial. When you choose to play in an unstable country who is at war with the West (literally in this case), some risk comes with the territory.
December 10th, 2022 at 8:00:52 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: Gandler
I agree with this, at first I was supportive of the Griner swap, but the more that I read about it the more I realized we vastly overpaid for somebody who is not even pro-American.

????????
How do you determine that???????????????????????
I have to imagine her wife is American
Aren't her parents American

If you are rooting for the USA in the World Cup. You are pro American.
Was Britiney rooting for a different team?
I'm rooting for Morrocco :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 10th, 2022 at 9:12:11 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined

Some would argue watching soccer is un-American. I did not watch any of the World Cup but I did watch a replay of the Holy Cross vs Navy football game from 2019.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 10th, 2022 at 9:28:00 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
That fortune article is the main problem with journalism today. Few want to do real research because searching the internet is easier. It's the Tyler Durden effect. Tyler Durden does no original research for a story. He simply scrapes the internet every morning looking for a story to write. That's what a lot of so-called journalists do these days, just scrape the internet to write a story.

Says the guy who disputes any claims presented on the forum that aren't confirmed by Wiki.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 10th, 2022 at 9:37:33 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: kenarman
Says the guy who disputes any claims presented on the forum that aren't confirmed by Wiki.

Yup
Alternate facts are not facts
December 10th, 2022 at 9:50:29 AM permalink
Gandler
????????
How do you determine that???????????????????????
I have to imagine her wife is American
Aren't her parents American

I do not know anything about her wife (or even that he had one). But, she has long been against playing the National Anthem at games, and really that is what she was most famous for before being arrested by Russia.

She was definitely given a harsher sentence than any Russian could of received, and for obvious reasons.

But, we overpaid for somebody who is not pro-American. We gave up quite possible the most notorious arms dealer in world history for a basketball player. Regardless of what I think of her political views on America (even if she were the most patriotic person on the planet), this was a bad trade.

It also sets the precedent that we will happily give up terrorists to free Americans who were arrested for whatever random crime.

She makes seven figures for playing a few weeks in Russia, compared to 200kish a year for her full year in America. She was clearly going to Russia for the easy money.
December 10th, 2022 at 11:06:54 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler
I do not know anything about her wife (or even that he had one). But, she has long been against playing the National Anthem at games, and really that is what she was most famous for before being arrested by Russia.

That is just patently false. She’s always been most famous for being the women’s basketball player who semi regularly dunks in games going back a decade or so now. Had never heard of the national anthem thing before your post.

Then again you’re most well known for labeling anyone who isn’t a bootlicker or has concerns about a surveillance state anti-American.
December 10th, 2022 at 11:56:44 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: rquiredusername
That is just patently false. She’s always been most famous for being the women’s basketball player who semi regularly dunks in games going back a decade or so now. Had never heard of the national anthem thing before your post.

Then again you’re most well known for labeling anyone who isn’t a bootlicker or has concerns about a surveillance state anti-American.

I know I never have heard of her before the National Anthem incident.

And, then I never heard of her again until the Russia incident.

So, in my mind she is most famous for being anti-American, and then being arrested by Russia for drugs. I could not tell you anything about her career, other than she makes more money in Russia than in the U.S. (which I only found out in the context of looking into this).