The Biden Presidency 2023

September 13th, 2023 at 9:50:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'm not wasting my time with anyone claiming to be capable of superior self-thinking. I imagine you'll soon be informing the climate scientists of your big thinking head.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 13th, 2023 at 10:04:56 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
Are you talking the ones in NYC and Chicago where they have to go thru metal detectors and are grade levels behind?

I'm talking about the schools in entire red states that are grade levels behind.
September 13th, 2023 at 10:05:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I'm not wasting my time with anyone claiming to be capable of superior self-thinking. I imagine you'll soon be informing the climate scientists of your big thinking head.

Fine, as I get that thinking is not your thing.
The President is a fink.
September 13th, 2023 at 10:18:03 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
If EVs were so good we would not need to steal money from the population to subsidize them.

If EVs were so good we would not need laws to force people to buy them,

EVs are nothing special for the environment like their supporters claim. Effectively many run on coal.

At the same time, EVs require lots of mining that ICE does not. And questionable labor in China and Third World countries so that their owners can feel better than everyone else.

Oil companies get billions in government subsidies, and still screw us on petroleum pricing. EVs subsides are a fraction of the fossil fuel companies get.

It's easier to regulate the emissions from a coal burning power plant than an ICE vehicle. And the power plant is more thermally efficient, too.

EVs require different mining, using materials that are sourced right now in less-than-friendly places around the world. The US has access to other sources for those materials., All we have to do is mine them here. It's better to buy oil from less-than-friendly places around the world, using drilling and pumping methods that are no less polluting?

EVs have been around for almost 200 uears. If we put the same R&D into batteries that we did into gas engines, think of how far along those batteries would be.
September 13th, 2023 at 10:41:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: GenoDRPh
Oil companies get billions in government subsidies, and still screw us on petroleum pricing. EVs subsides are a fraction of the fossil fuel companies get.

No, they do not. They pay billions in taxes though. Pay billions in royalties as well.

Quote:
It's easier to regulate the emissions from a coal burning power plant than an ICE vehicle. And the power plant is more thermally efficient, too.

Not really. It is about the same to regulate. And ICE vehicles get replaced with a 10 year or so lifespan, meaning cleaner and cleaner all the time.

Quote:
EVs require different mining, using materials that are sourced right now in less-than-friendly places around the world. The US has access to other sources for those materials., All we have to do is mine them here. It's better to buy oil from less-than-friendly places around the world, using drilling and pumping methods that are no less polluting?

Drilling is far less polluting than mining. Good luck mining them here as the envoiros will do anything to stop mining. Remember how upset they got when someone opened a coal mine about 2017? They will fight mines to the bitter end.

Quote:
EVs have been around for almost 200 uears. If we put the same R&D into batteries that we did into gas engines, think of how far along those batteries would be.

Bold statement considering electricity has only been used since the 1870s or so. As to R&D, well, how much of YOUR money have you invested in battery companies? Seriously, how much have you invested?
The President is a fink.
September 13th, 2023 at 11:20:09 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: GenoDRPh

Far left-wing radical doesn't know squat.

Mind controlled.
September 13th, 2023 at 12:08:03 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
My point was about the hypocrisy of the Energy Secretary touting the great infrastructure when She needed a lackey to block access to a limited EV charging station until her EV got there. I have quite a few friends now that own EVs. ALL are extremely happy. Butttt…. all have other vehicles that are used for trips over 200 miles.
Spoke with neighbor driving her Tesla. She drives to Florida and I asked her how it works with her trip. She said she has an ap that routes her to ‘supercharging’ stations that take around 20 minutes and cost around $13. I have a pretty new ICE (VW Tiguan) but I’ll bet my next car in 2or3 years will be an EV. My wife will keep her Dodge Charger or if we are full time in Florida it will be traded in for a Corvette.

One friend has a Volt. It is an EV with a backup gas power. I think the ‘engine’ just recharged the batteries. Anyway, he charges it every night with the free electricity he gets from home solar panels. And rarely needs to gas up.
September 13th, 2023 at 12:26:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
My point was about the hypocrisy of the Energy Secretary touting the great infrastructure when She needed a lackey to block access to a limited EV charging station until her EV got there. I have quite a few friends now that own EVs. ALL are extremely happy. Butttt…. all have other vehicles that are used for trips over 200 miles.
Spoke with neighbor driving her Tesla. She drives to Florida and I asked her how it works with her trip. She said she has an ap that routes her to ‘supercharging’ stations that take around 20 minutes and cost around $13. I have a pretty new ICE (VW Tiguan) but I’ll bet my next car in 2or3 years will be an EV. My wife will keep her Dodge Charger or if we are full time in Florida it will be traded in for a Corvette.

One friend has a Volt. It is an EV with a backup gas power. I think the ‘engine’ just recharged the batteries. Anyway, he charges it every night with the free electricity he gets from home solar panels. And rarely needs to gas up.

She's still stuck with the blame even if that idea was initiated by a too helpful staff member trying to make things run smoothly. Only takes one pr flub to make people overlook the last 10 successes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 13th, 2023 at 12:28:31 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
No, they do not. They pay billions in taxes though. Pay billions in royalties as well.

Not really. It is about the same to regulate. And ICE vehicles get replaced with a 10 year or so lifespan, meaning cleaner and cleaner all the time.

Drilling is far less polluting than mining. Good luck mining them here as the envoiros will do anything to stop mining. Remember how upset they got when someone opened a coal mine about 2017? They will fight mines to the bitter end.

Bold statement considering electricity has only been used since the 1870s or so. As to R&D, well, how much of YOUR money have you invested in battery companies? Seriously, how much have you invested?

According to the International Energy Agency, fossil fuel handouts hit a global high of $1 trillion in 2022 – the same year Big Oil pulled in a record $4 trillion of income. In the United States, by some estimates taxpayers pay about $20 billion dollars every year to the fossil fuel industry. Verifiable numbers. Fossil fuels will receive 10x as much in tax breaks this year as the entire EV industry will in its entire history.

Power stations can run at about 50% efficiency, compared to 25–30% for vehicle engines. Burning a gallon of fuel in a large efficient power station will generate enough electricity to power an electric car for more miles than that same gallon of fuel would have powered it directly.

Scotsman Robert Anderson is often credited with inventing the first electric car some time between 1832 and 1839. Electricity has been studied for millennia, and especially since the 1700s, and certainly earlier than 1870.

As for me, I drive a Toyata Hybrid as my daily driver. Gets great mileage, and can run on the battery if needed.

You may be excellent at gambling games, but you're a complete moron at pretty much everything else.
September 13th, 2023 at 12:31:27 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: SOOPOO

EV infrastucture isn't there yet, But, you know what else wasn't there yet when they first came out? Filling stations for gasoline vehicles. So we just build out more EV superchargers.

The rest of your post argues best when you argue my point.