In the News II

July 13th, 2023 at 7:01:46 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
It's not totally fair comparison. Rushmore is a monument on native American land, it's not asking anyone to give up their homes. Yeah, it's not great to suggest the government give back some land while you live on the rest of it. But saying one is much better if you don't offer anything back is not exactly great either.

The statement wasn't about a select place or two " "This 4th of July, it's high time we recognize that the U.S. exists on stolen Indigenous land and commit to returning it,"

They should definitely purchase or give back all the sites the headquarters and shops are on and lead the way, rather than just kicking stinking piles on the ground.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 13th, 2023 at 7:49:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
The statement wasn't about a select place or two " "This 4th of July, it's high time we recognize that the U.S. exists on stolen Indigenous land and commit to returning it,"

They should definitely purchase or give back all the sites the headquarters and shops are on and lead the way, rather than just kicking stinking piles on the ground.

They linked it to blog post about starting with Mt. Rushmore.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 13th, 2023 at 11:51:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Aside from concerns about San Francisco retail stores being robbed into non-existence, Walmart says it loses 3 billion a year in retail theft. There's a lot of retail thieves working besides in SF,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 13th, 2023 at 5:15:02 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
they don't say so, but I think the spinal cord did not get cut

https://nypost.com/2023/07/13/doctors-reattach-boys-head-after-car-accident/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 13th, 2023 at 5:39:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
they don't say so, but I think the spinal cord did not get cut

https://nypost.com/2023/07/13/doctors-reattach-boys-head-after-car-accident/

He almost lost his head. Now he has his head on straight. Lot's hope he has a good head on his shoulders.
July 13th, 2023 at 6:15:32 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
He almost lost his head. Now he has his head on straight. Lot's hope he has a good head on his shoulders.

Moral of the story don't lose your head.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 13th, 2023 at 8:51:24 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit

I was just at the Ben and Jerry's factory
Took the tour
Visited the graveyard of departed flavors
It was a hoot
Got to sample some superb ice cream
Interesting I visited as this controversy came out
It was a wonderful visit and I posted about in on my FB page with lots of pics. Lots of friends left kind comments. But. People were actually trolling me on my own page. I was pretty blown away. I pointed out that my page is not political, just stuff I've visited in my travels. They said they have a RIGHT to confront Ben and jerrys on MY page. WTF. I've had a FB account for many years with comments from friends only of course. 1st time ever complete strangers commented. Very weird. I deleted their BS comments and blocked them so they can't see my page
Yup, they got canceled
Unbelievable
It's just a page for people to see my travels. Extremely apolitical. Yet the nutcases tried to infect it.
Sheesh

Anyway this whole thing is much ado about nothing
Ben and Jerry's don't own the land
The actual guys cashed out a long long time ago
And
The company Ben and Jerry's doesn't really own the land.
It's part of a huge corporation called Unilever with HQ in the UK
Who owns Unilever
The people
Who knows, I may own some through my retirement account.
It's publicly owned

Through my travels learned a lot about the horrible treatment Indians received. I could go on about the Oculmogee mounds which I visited in Macon. I don't think it's inappropriate to talk about Indian injustice on July 4th. Some are so offended they look for people enjoying ice cream on facebook and express hatred. I kid you not
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 14th, 2023 at 2:49:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Aside from concerns about San Francisco retail stores being robbed into non-existence, Walmart says it loses 3 billion a year in retail theft. There's a lot of retail thieves working besides in SF,

You thought shoplifting only happened in SF??

WMT has about 570 billion in revenue per year in the USA. So yes, they will have billions in theft.
The President is a fink.
July 14th, 2023 at 4:32:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: terapined

Through my travels learned a lot about the horrible treatment Indians received. I could go on about the Oculmogee mounds which I visited in Macon. I don't think it's inappropriate to talk about Indian injustice on July 4th.
I can only agree with that if we have Clovis People Month with long documentaries about the Clovis genocide committed by the Indians
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 14th, 2023 at 4:41:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
You thought shoplifting only happened in SF??

WMT has about 570 billion in revenue per year in the USA. So yes, they will have billions in theft.

No, I was beginning to believe conservatives were only aware of shoplifting in a few selected cities,