In the News II

January 27th, 2024 at 9:02:30 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: kenarman
According to US News Florida is #1 and Mass. is #3 for education.

According to Yahoo New: Nov 2023

Which state has the best economy in US?
15 States with the Best Economy Right Now
Florida. ...
Pennsylvania. ...
Minnesota. GDP Per Capita (2022): $68,010. ...
Virginia. GDP Per Capita (2022): $68,211. ...
Illinois. GDP Per Capita (2022): $68,822. ...
Maryland. GDP Per Capita (2022): $70,730. ...
Colorado. GDP Per Capita (2022): $74,167. ...
Washington. GDP Per Capita (2022): $75,698.

Look at all those Blue states with excellent economies...
January 27th, 2024 at 9:16:29 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: GenoDRPh
Look at all those Blue states with excellent economies...

"One of the main problems with GDP per capita is that it doesn’t account for any inequality within a society. The clearest solution for this is to use a measure based around medians rather than means, "

https://web.northeastern.edu/econpress/2017/01/23/a-critique-of-gdp-per-capita-as-a-measure-of-wellbeing/#:~:text=One%20of%20the%20main%20problems,any%20inequality%20within%20a%20society.

The numbers do show a strong economy for the states and out country. What they don't show, and other numbers do, show how the people with lower incomes have been impacted by inflation and have lost significant buying power.

Yes, I've done just fine in the current economy. I also see that plenty have not done well in the "Bidenomics" era. I guess they are trying to retire that term but Biden can remember it so they may not get him to stop using it.
January 27th, 2024 at 9:26:14 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: RonC
"One of the main problems with GDP per capita is that it doesn’t account for any inequality within a society. The clearest solution for this is to use a measure based around medians rather than means, "

https://web.northeastern.edu/econpress/2017/01/23/a-critique-of-gdp-per-capita-as-a-measure-of-wellbeing/#:~:text=One%20of%20the%20main%20problems,any%20inequality%20within%20a%20society.

The numbers do show a strong economy for the states and out country. What they don't show, and other numbers do, show how the people with lower incomes have been impacted by inflation and have lost significant buying power.

Yes, I've done just fine in the current economy. I also see that plenty have not done well in the "Bidenomics" era. I guess they are trying to retire that term but Biden can remember it so they may not get him to stop using it.

Northeastern University, Another fine institution of higher learning from true Blue Massachsuetts.

Should we use the GINI index instead?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_income_inequality
January 27th, 2024 at 9:30:50 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: GenoDRPh
Northeastern University, Another fine institution of higher learning from true Blue Massachsuetts.

Should we use the GINI index instead?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_income_inequality

Use whatever numbers you would like.

Hearing the issues people are having with the results of high inflation tells a little different story.

Though poll numbers do not matter at this point, there is a reason Biden's are low right now.
January 27th, 2024 at 9:34:24 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
According to US News Florida is #1 and Mass. is #3 for education.

According to Yahoo New: Nov 2023

Which state has the best economy in US?
15 States with the Best Economy Right Now
Florida. ...
Pennsylvania. ...
Minnesota. GDP Per Capita (2022): $68,010. ...
Virginia. GDP Per Capita (2022): $68,211. ...
Illinois. GDP Per Capita (2022): $68,822. ...
Maryland. GDP Per Capita (2022): $70,730. ...
Colorado. GDP Per Capita (2022): $74,167. ...
Washington. GDP Per Capita (2022): $75,698.

All the blue states have such good lives under Biden, they can afford to take their expensive vacations in the sunshine state of Florida (also the tourist economy state), despite Ron DeSantis, trying to put the pants back on Mickey Mouse and bring slavery back by not teaching anything but Liberty University propaganda.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 27th, 2024 at 1:38:21 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Mission146
What's your opinion of this? The device says that it measures recent cannabis use, specifically within 60-90 minutes, but when one gets high...can the effects not last longer than that?

It's too new for me to get my mind around, so I cannot answer your question definitively.

Back when I was practicing I attended continuing legal eductation seminars on how to fight the breathalyzer in court : no doubt folks are figuring out how to attack this latest trick as well, hoping to introduce that all important "reasonable doubt."

But yeah, weed's effects last longer than an hour or so...for me, typically two or more hours but hey, I'm a lifer...
January 27th, 2024 at 2:28:58 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Interest payments just went over $1 trillion:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/A091RC1Q027SBEA#

The chart looks like we're in trouble.

It's unlike anything I've ever seen.

META is coming out with earnings on 2/1.

I almost bought some long term naked puts the other day.

She looks good, if I had to choose.

Over $400 I think but looks good where she's at because she's back-testing a long term trend-line.

I'm hesitant because this is an election year.

And if Trump wins, they can cut the flow of artificial cash off then.

And leave him holding the bag.
January 27th, 2024 at 2:44:42 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: missedhervee
It's too new for me to get my mind around, so I cannot answer your question definitively.

Back when I was practicing I attended continuing legal eductation seminars on how to fight the breathalyzer in court : no doubt folks are figuring out how to attack this latest trick as well, hoping to introduce that all important "reasonable doubt."

But yeah, weed's effects last longer than an hour or so...for me, typically two or more hours but hey, I'm a lifer...

The machines have to be calibrated and certified.

It cost me $5K to beat one for alcohol.

They showed the tests and everything in court from a dash cam in front of the headlights.

Showed me touching my nose, etc.

I aced it but registered .08 (?).

They have to make their quotas so they can pay bills.

Less than 30 days is the old rule for random drug testing for cannabis.

It's a software program that selects employees randomly.

My name was selected twice in two weeks but no others for over a decade with the same firm.

I was clean as a whistle.

It's cheaper to get a Uber or Lyft.

But you can't be short on cash.
January 28th, 2024 at 4:28:46 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
"US Central Command confirmed in a statement Sunday that three service members were killed and 25 injured in a one-way drone attack that “impacted at a base in northeast Jordan.” CNN

Looks like Biden will have a chance to lose another war before he loses the election.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 28th, 2024 at 4:36:19 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Posting this for our lefty bubble people that think they are informed.

"Non-coverage of the 2024 March for Life is a sign of things to come in this year’s campaign. Attendance was estimated at 50,000 to 100,000 in freezing weather. Speakers included House Speaker Mike Johnson and Jim Harbaugh, coach of the 2024 National College Football Team.

There was no mention of the event on the evening news that day or the morning news the next day on ABC, NBC and CBS. But NBC had a story on high school girls who are basing their decision of where to go to college on whether a state allows unrestricted access to abortion. The network touted this as “a growing trend.”

Well under 50% of the population think that there should be UNRESTRICTED ACCESS to abortion.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin