In the News II

May 1st, 2023 at 2:41:56 AM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
please delete - I started to respond to DG and then I realized I was wasting my time - not worth the effort

the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
May 1st, 2023 at 2:51:33 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
So Brown University (the source) was tied for the highest number in 2014, the same year of the referenced paper that cannot be accessed freely, so far.

Also, from the same Wiki, students there are 87% affluent and 13% are low income.

---------------------------------

Brown University
Campus Safety
In 2014, Brown tied with the University of Connecticut for the highest number of reported rapes in the nation, with its "total of reports of rape" on their main campus standing at 43.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_University

---------------------------------
May 1st, 2023 at 2:59:35 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: PotPie
please delete - I started to respond to DG and then I realized I was wasting my time - not worth the effort

You are good for me PotPie.

Because when you post info, I look in myself to determine if I'm detached from reality.
May 1st, 2023 at 4:59:56 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
looking at the statistics you provided, I can say you have a different definition of 'rare'

I agree, around 5% would be considered fairly common in my book.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 1st, 2023 at 5:49:35 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: PotPie
As with any crime, false reporting of sexual assault does occur; however it is very rare.

A 2014 study of sexual assault cases reported to the LA Police Department found that 4.5% of cases were false reports.

4.5% is not rare. Just like your ‘Just 6.5 homicides per 100,000’ comments, implies that is a low number.

Still, according to the article, 95.5% of sex assault reports are valid.

'Eight women have alleged that Biden either touched them inappropriately or violated their personal space in ways that made them uncomfortable.'

"I remember it happened all at once... his hands were on me and underneath my clothes." He then penetrated her with his fingers, she said.

Video surfaces of Biden accuser’s mom allegedly calling into Larry King's show -30 years ago

Tara Reade’s Ex-Neighbor on Biden Sexual Assault Allegation: I Believed Her Then & I Believe Her Now
May 1st, 2023 at 6:38:57 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Tanko
4.5% is not rare. Just like your ‘Just 6.5 homicides per 100,000’ comments, implies that is a low number.

Still, according to the article, 95.5% of sex assault reports are valid.

'Eight women have alleged that Biden either touched them inappropriately or violated their personal space in ways that made them uncomfortable.'

"I remember it happened all at once... his hands were on me and underneath my clothes." He then penetrated her with his fingers, she said.

Video surfaces of Biden accuser’s mom allegedly calling into Larry King's show -30 years ago

Tara Reade’s Ex-Neighbor on Biden Sexual Assault Allegation: I Believed Her Then & I Believe Her Now

Yeah but 8 is less than half as many as 17…..

I detest Mike Pence on a bunch of issues, but it’s hard to fault him for the safe stance of not being alone with women other than his wife.
May 1st, 2023 at 8:36:59 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
What is consent? Signing and notarizing a contract?

In this day and age, were I single, that's probably what I would do.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 1st, 2023 at 8:41:05 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Tanko
Eight women have alleged that Biden either touched them inappropriately or violated their personal space in ways that made them uncomfortable.'

How many women have not alleged Biden touched them inappropriately. I would say that 8 out of 4,400,000,000 makes that a rare event.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 1st, 2023 at 8:46:06 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
When it comes to Trump and whatever her name is:

Do I put Trump above raping a woman? No.

That said, the civil standard for something like this, I would assume, is, "Preponderance of the evidence." In this case, the jury wouldn't be finding Trump, 'Guilty,' of rape, because there is no guilty/acquitted in a civil case, but they would, rather, 'Find in favor of the plaintiff.'

The preponderance of the evidence standard says that the juror finds it, 'More likely than not,' that the tort the Plaintiff is claiming occurred. With that, character-type testimony is sometimes allowed, etc. Pretty much anything that Trump has said in the public realm would also become admissible, so grabbing women by the p***y, going into the changing area at Miss Teen USA, calling his own daughter, 'Hot,' etc., all becomes fair game.

They still wouldn't want me on the jury, however, because either the physical action of a rape taking place happened or did not happen. Has there been physical evidence presented that the two of them even engaged in sexual congress? We're talking about, what, thirty years ago? I'm going to need some sort of evidence that sexual congress even happened before rape is even in play, for me.

I tend to agree with Terapined and AMS on the subject of consent, but for that to even become a question, one must demonstrate (in my view) that a sexual event even happened in the first place.

Has that happened? I don't know. I'm not really following this. I know that the Plaintiff, obviously, claims that there was some sort of penetrative sex, but I'm going to need more than the Plaintiff's testimony to believe that. Even then, just because there was sex doesn't mean there was rape, but I'm going to have to know there was sex for rape to even be on the table.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 1st, 2023 at 9:41:15 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Mistrial was denied, but here is the letter requesting it, for other insight:

---------------------

May 1, 2023

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.590045/gov.uscourts.nysd.590045.164.0.pdf

---------------------