BUD (the King of Beers)

September 7th, 2023 at 1:39:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) is marketed to men and I don't think that advertising campaign would hurt them.

This has to do with beer how exactly?

Quote:
Also, you may noy be familiar with how liberal college and universities are now. I don't think you would get an F.

Well, most profs could not cut it in the real world so maybe.
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2023 at 2:33:59 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
It is good for them because people are still obsessively talking about it. Their stock price and revenue will recover, and they probably got an incalculable amount of free advertising, heck there are conservative shows that have done whole specials talking about Bud Beer for over an hour, endless news coverage, market analysis, etc.... I forget when this happened, but it was I think last spring, and people are still keeping this as the front and center controversy of the year.

Bud Beer has probably never been talked about this much under any circumstance in history before. It is like a nonstop discussion of a mediocre beer that I do not think any hardcore beer people actually drink (I do not think I have had a Bud or Bud light since before 21, maybe since High School, I don't even recall having any in college....)

There is an old saying that there is no such thing as bad publicity, and they are certainly getting endless publicity.

Now, I stand by what I have always said since I became aware of this "controversy", the advertisement is unethical, because all alcohol advertisements are unethical. But, it is no more unethical than any other beer advert. The trans aspect is a total nonissue. The issue that people should find alarming is that in 2023 alcohol advertisements are still legal on public television and radio in the United States. In fact I would go so far as to say if this campaign is causing people to drink less in the short term, it is actually an ethical step above 99% of alcohol advertisements (regardless of why people cut back, that does not matter to me, less alcohol is good.)
September 7th, 2023 at 3:13:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler

Now, I stand by what I have always said since I became aware of this "controversy", the advertisement is unethical, because all alcohol advertisements are unethical.

????

Why?
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2023 at 3:25:23 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
????

Why?

Because it is dangerous, addicting, and damaging to society. And, though I do not think it should be banned, advertisements for beer should not be allowed.
September 7th, 2023 at 3:28:21 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
This has to do with beer how exactly?

It doesn't. You said you can't market to men that way.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 7th, 2023 at 3:50:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Boycotts don’t normally kill companies. People get fired, sales go down, products may change. I’m not even sure if there was ever a boycott that killed a company. I think if any company died it was probably on the outs anyway.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 7th, 2023 at 4:00:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich
It doesn't. You said you can't market to men that way.

You can try, but most men do not want a product associated with a mentally ill man pretending to be a woman.
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2023 at 4:01:38 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Because it is dangerous, addicting, and damaging to society. And, though I do not think it should be banned, advertisements for beer should not be allowed.

So what? Many things are not good for you but are allowed to outright promoted. Let people be adults.
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2023 at 4:31:10 PM permalink
Gandler
So what? Many things are not good for you but are allowed to outright promoted. Let people be adults.

No other recreational drugs are promoted to the same level as alcohol (I can't even think of a comparison that is somewhat close, maybe caffeine?) Being allowed to do something is very different than something being promoted.

Here is a good comparison. You think being trans is negative for society (I do not agree, but let's shift fire to the math.) Less than 1% of Americans are trans, of that 1% most are strictly trans as an adult -less than 3%- (do not alter their body surgically pre-18). For this tiny number that is virtually meaningless (if you only accept pre-18 trans as an issue,) you think there should be restrictions on advocating trans lifestyles (an example of something that truly harms nobody except for the receiver of the procure regardless of your views on the procedure.) Over 5% of Americans are alcoholics (a much higher percent drink more than they should.) And, this 5% cause endless damage to those around them (besides the effects to themselves.) This is not a case of a lifestyle choice that harms just you. You cannot be against trans promotions while saying there is nothing wrong with encouraging people to drink.

Beer ads are empirically terrible for society (people who drink already know what they want, there is no value in advertising to current beer drinkers.) What beer ads do is make drinking seem more socially acceptable. It is very dangerous when society thinks that this is safe activity.

For comparison I would be totally fine if pro-trans adverts were banned if the bargain was a total ban on alcohol adverts (because this would be a net positive for society.)
September 7th, 2023 at 4:55:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
No other recreational drugs are promoted to the same level as alcohol (I can't even think of a comparison that is somewhat close, maybe caffeine?) Being allowed to do something is very different than something being promoted.

Here is a good comparison. You think being trans is negative for society (I do not agree, but let's shift fire to the math.) Less than 1% of Americans are trans, of that 1% most are strictly trans as an adult -less than 3%- (do not alter their body surgically pre-18). For this tiny number that is virtually meaningless (if you only accept pre-18 trans as an issue,) you think there should be restrictions on advocating trans lifestyles (an example of something that truly harms nobody except for the receiver of the procure regardless of your views on the procedure.) Over 5% of Americans are alcoholics (a much higher percent drink more than they should.) And, this 5% cause endless damage to those around them (besides the effects to themselves.) This is not a case of a lifestyle choice that harms just you. You cannot be against trans promotions while saying there is nothing wrong with encouraging people to drink.

Difference is you can stop drinking. Once you cut it off it is off. No going back. So not really the same.

Quote:
Beer ads are empirically terrible for society (people who drink already know what they want, there is no value in advertising to current beer drinkers.) What beer ads do is make drinking seem more socially acceptable. It is very dangerous when society thinks that this is safe activity.

Terrible how? Beer is an enjoyable drink. And there is plenty of value in advertising beer. A new type of beer may come out. There may be a special price or offer. Beer ads support broadcasters and sports teams. I see no problem with them.
The President is a fink.