BUD (the King of Beers)

September 7th, 2023 at 5:02:35 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
If we deem a product legal then advertising it should be legal. I HATE cigarettes but am for allowing advertising for them.

Whoever was in charge of the ill fated advertising campaign is an imbecile. The purpose of advertising is to sell more product. Whoever thought that that angle was smart for Bud Light should never have a job in advertising again.
September 7th, 2023 at 5:15:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
If we deem a product legal then advertising it should be legal. I HATE cigarettes but am for allowing advertising for them.

Whoever was in charge of the ill fated advertising campaign is an imbecile. The purpose of advertising is to sell more product. Whoever thought that that angle was smart for Bud Light should never have a job in advertising again.

I thought the Marlboro men commercials were pretty cool when I was a kid. So, did other kids I knew. So, were cigarettes being marketed to kids? Yet, the commercial doesn't appear to be marketed to kids.

Just noting, the not-kid advertising doesn't necessarily follow a strict model just because it doesn't look like a kid's commerical. Once you advertise something, you may be marketing it to all ages.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 7th, 2023 at 6:36:49 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Difference is you can stop drinking. Once you cut it off it is off. No going back. So not really the same.

Unfortunately many alcohol related issues occur in one night of drinking and cannot be reversed. And, unlike trans lifestyles, effect people other than the user.

Terrible how? Beer is an enjoyable drink. And there is plenty of value in advertising beer. A new type of beer may come out. There may be a special price or offer. Beer ads support broadcasters and sports teams. I see no problem with them.

If you are referring to banners inside of liquor stores discussing specials, that is fine, inside of monitored websites, that is also fine. Public advertising is not fine. Nobody who drinks beer learns about specials from television ads. TV ads accomplish one thing, and that is to make drinking beer appear socially acceptable.

The statement that alcohol ads support activity X is silly, the same argument can be applied to tobacco companies or any other advertising company. The same argument can be applied to pro-trans companies, in fact I would bet that pro-trans movements would donate more money per capita (given how few people engage in trans activities) than alcohol companies and effect less lives.

This is the same argument people made when they said rodeo would die without Copenhagen.

Or that racing would die without Marlboro.

It is never true, and even if it were, it is irrelevant (no such activity is necessary for society -in fact it could be argued that society is better off with racing or rodeo.)
September 7th, 2023 at 6:45:19 PM permalink
Gandler
Difference is you can stop drinking. Once you cut it off it is off. No going back. So not really the same.

Unfortunately many alcohol related issues occur in one night of drinking and cannot be reversed. And, unlike trans lifestyles, effect people other than the user.

Terrible how? Beer is an enjoyable drink. And there is plenty of value in advertising beer. A new type of beer may come out. There may be a special price or offer. Beer ads support broadcasters and sports teams. I see no problem with them.

If you are referring to banners inside of liquor stores discussing specials, that is fine, inside of monitored websites, that is also fine. Public advertising is not fine. Nobody who drinks beer learns about specials from television ads. TV ads accomplish one thing, and that is to make drinking beer appear socially acceptable.

The statement that alcohol ads support activity X is silly, the same argument can be applied to tobacco companies or any other advertising company. The same argument can be applied to pro-trans companies, in fact I would bet that pro-trans movements would donate more money per capita (given how few people engage in trans activities) than alcohol companies and effect less lives.

This is the same argument people made when they said rodeo would die without Copenhagen.

Or racing without Marlboro, etc...
September 7th, 2023 at 7:51:57 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
Because it is dangerous, addicting, and damaging to society. And, though I do not think it should be banned, advertisements for beer should not be allowed.

How about soda? It advertises and many believe the sugar in soda is killing kids and adults. Personally I don't believe that either soda or beer are necessarily bad for you but I am sure you disagree and I only drink one of the two.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 7th, 2023 at 11:26:53 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Because it is dangerous, addicting, and damaging to society. And, though I do not think it should be banned, advertisements for beer should not be allowed.

How about soda? It advertises and many believe the sugar in soda is killing kids and adults. Personally I don't believe that either soda or beer are necessarily bad for you but I am sure you disagree and I only drink one of the two.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 8th, 2023 at 2:45:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

A trans beds a guy then the next day says "surprise, I used to be a guy!" then that guy is affected. So, no.

Quote:

Millions of people learned about Lite, a lower calorie beer, from TV ads. Dry beer, Ice beer, all kinds of beers. If you do not like the ads then do not watch them. Drinking beer IS socially acceptable.
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2023 at 2:53:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I thought the Marlboro men commercials were pretty cool when I was a kid. So, did other kids I knew. So, were cigarettes being marketed to kids? Yet, the commercial doesn't appear to be marketed to kids.

Just noting, the not-kid advertising doesn't necessarily follow a strict model just because it doesn't look like a kid's commerical. Once you advertise something, you may be marketing it to all ages.

When I was in about 7th grade we had some kind of lesson on not smoking. We talked about how cigarette ads were banned on TV and radio. One kid said he had seen a Marlboro ad on TV! Impossible since the ads were banned when the average student in that room was about 1. Not only he insisted, a few others did as well.

What he described was about what some Marlboro print ads looked like. Teacher was probably right in saying we saw so much TV he was thinking that is where he saw the ad.

Related, I never got them saying Joe Camel was "for kids" because it "was a cartoon." As if adults did not watch animation.

But, as to the ads, Don Draper was right when he said that business was all about getting new users. Smokers NEVER change brands. Most brand loyal people I ever saw. People got upset if they had to buy Winston box vs. soft pack. To get a smoker to switch is to move a mountain. A few tried the cheaper Doral brand when it came out. One guy I knew switched between Pall Mall and Kool (yeah, I know) but from just being the cashier selling them I back Don on his statement.
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2023 at 4:32:32 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: kenarman

Soda is terrible and it is probably good if it were banned from kids. But, it is not an intoxicant. And, it is very rare that soda consumption can cause instant death, so it is a very different kind of danger.
September 8th, 2023 at 4:42:02 AM permalink
Gandler
A trans beds a guy then the next day says "surprise, I used to be a guy!" then that guy is affected. So, no.

Millions of people learned about Lite, a lower calorie beer, from TV ads. Dry beer, Ice beer, all kinds of beers. If you do not like the ads then do not watch them. Drinking beer IS socially acceptable.

The trans example does not make sense in this argument. This is such a rare circumstance that it is almost zero compared to alcohol deaths (even if you view that as an issue.)

I have never seen a television channel that warns you which commercials are upcoming on any break, and there is no TV guide to check the scheduling of commercials. I don't know how this would even be accomplished. It is very easy to schedule which shows to watch, there is no way to choose commercials (or block certain types of commercial).

Personally I do not watch TV so it is not something that effects me. But, it bothers me in the sense that it is showing kids that this is a legal product. It is socially acceptable in America, much of the world treats it like we treat heroin (which should also be legal), but both drugs need to be removed from mainstream acceptance, they simply add nothing of value to society.

And, learning about different flavors and varieties is silly, it's beer (people know what they want), that is the same argument that people make to advertise fruit flavored cigarettes (which should be legal, but not advertised.)

The simple fact is alcohol is endlessly worse for life expectancy and saftey than even the most extreme trans issues. There is no reason to be against trans issues while praising alcohol if life expectancy and saftey are the primary factors (which is all that matters for maximing social strength.)