BUD (the King of Beers)

May 23rd, 2023 at 8:24:53 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: odiousgambit
on a related note, the other night watching Jeopardy! a contestant gave the response "who are the Chicks" and me and my wife said no way that should be considered correct, as the right response for that group pictured would be "the Dixie Chicks"! Well, we were wrong, that group has changed it's name to just the "Chicks" ... the word "Dixie" now being cancelled too it seems

I have a joke that I have just been dying to make, but I feel like it would be a Suspension---even though I'd censor half of it. It would have been the perfect response to a few posts here.

Anyway, the Dixie Chicks changed their name in 2020, so that's correct. However, I think Jeopardy should have accepted, "Who are The Dixie Chicks?" as a response had that been the response given.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 23rd, 2023 at 8:26:51 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
uh, no
what it is is a well-known humorous take on the war, generally Southerners making fun of themselves.

You maybe could make a case that to use "the war between the states" is a more serious matter, connected to "Lost Cause" revisionism.
That segregationists might like to use one or the other phrase would be a matter of correlation without any meaning.

Oh, I do understand that Civil War history is now "cancelled" unless it's about how bad slavery was, and anyone interested in it otherwise should be cancelled, and any jokes about the war AREN'T FUNNY

Uh yes, it was literally started during Jim Crow by segregationists when they starting pumping out false history books.

It is not a term used in humor. The only people who use it are confederate supporters.
May 23rd, 2023 at 10:55:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Gandler
Uh yes, it was literally started during Jim Crow by segregationists
you might as well 'get with it' ... I'm a bit disappointed you don't know the trendy term is 'white supremacists' . Of course the modern segregation proponents are our Af/Am.s ... some of the radicals ideas anyway some propose ... like Black-only dorms and all that. Somebody might get confused if you don't switch it up!
Quote:
when they starting pumping out false history books.

It is not a term used in humor.
oh, come on!
Quote:
The only people who use it are confederate supporters.
I really don't think anyone uses it in a serious manner. But you can have the last word on this one
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 23rd, 2023 at 11:33:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
on a related note, the other night watching Jeopardy! a contestant gave the response "who are the Chicks" and me and my wife said no way that should be considered correct, as the right response for that group pictured would be "the Dixie Chicks"! Well, we were wrong, that group has changed it's name to just the "Chicks" ... the word "Dixie" now being cancelled too it seems

???????????????????
Dixie is not being canceled
It's such a great song
Dixie will never ever be canceled
Jerry Garcia did a fabulous version of Dixie at the Hampton Coliseum in 1991
Love it
I was there for this show. Bruce Hornsby sat in with the Jerry Garcia Band. Bruce played beautifully. This show gave me goosebumps. Fortunate to catch one of the all time great Jerry shows live.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 23rd, 2023 at 11:44:26 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

It is not a term used in humor. The only people who use it are confederate supporters.

Not true at all. I still use the phrase "War of Northern Aggression" and nobody has ever accused me of being a confederate supporter.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 23rd, 2023 at 2:52:08 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: Mission146
Out of curiosity, what can a transexual person do that a straight person has already done, at some point, and it NOT be reverse discrimination, in your view?

Also, if there was no person on the Bud Light can immediately preceding the Mulvaney cans, which there wasn't, how is putting something that was not there before reverse discrimination? It's not as if someone had immediately appeared on the can prior and then AB InBev said, "We're only putting trannies on cans from now on."

Sadly, there are good arguments to be made that AB InBev screwed up massively, but, 'Reverse discrimination' is an almost impossibly stupid argument.

Leaving the beer can alone would be neutral.

Have to leave out sex and race when marketing because someone will always be affected negatively.

It's a no-win situation.

It's reverse discrimination because not everyone is transsexual.
May 23rd, 2023 at 2:57:21 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: DoubleGold
Leaving the beer can alone would be neutral.

Have to leave out sex and race when marketing because someone will always be affected negatively.

It's a no-win situation.

It's reverse discrimination because not everyone is transsexual.

So having the image of a trans person on a beer can is discrimination against non-trans? Is having an image of a non-trans person on a beer can a discrimination against trans?

Do you know what discrimination means?
May 23rd, 2023 at 3:02:30 PM permalink
DoubleGold
So having the image of a trans person on a beer can is discrimination against non-trans? Is having an image of a non-trans person on a beer can a discrimination against trans?

Do you know what discrimination means?

A good way to understand it are quotas for hiring non-male non-whites for employment because the overall population census.

As opposed to hiring the best person for the job.
May 23rd, 2023 at 3:16:30 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: DoubleGold
A good way to understand it are quotas for hiring non-male non-whites for employment because the overall population census.

As opposed to hiring the best person for the job.

That is not what you said quotas would be a valid argument. An image on a can of a person who is trans is not discriminating against non-trans people.
May 23rd, 2023 at 3:20:21 PM permalink
DoubleGold
That is not what you said quotas would be a valid argument. An image on a can of a person who is trans is not discriminating against non-trans people.

Then why are their sales dropping like a rock?